Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Big Ten Refs Admit Blown Call at Purdue - Likely Costing Owls The Game

cbboarder said

Honestly, it was more tongue and cheek because no one commenting only complaining (present company included). However, I did a quick search and didn't see anything. Even checked out the BIGTEN.org.

Of course this doesn't mean it didn't happen….

Go Owls!  
Posted On: Sep 27th 2022, 4:15 PM #408661

All good, i was also being tongue and cheek…there is no rebuttal.

:Laughing:

The way these things work, 95% of the time no one will go public with it. Which is also one element as to why FAU is not exercising it's option to file an official complaint. Politically it's just frowned upon…
Back to the top

That was a head scratcher. I think the broadcasters even defined the tackle box as the outside arm of the tackle. When when the block was thrown would have been right there. 
Back to the top

NJOWL said

I, for one, am shocked all of the Willie haters did not come out and apologize… NOT.

"Fans" consistently trash WT on here for losing. The opposing team, its conference, and the referees all admitting they made a mistake that all but cost us the game. Tough to win against the refs! Not to mention its a pretty good team, in a tough atmosphere, in one of the two most well-funded conferences.

It's almost like people like to talk poorly of Willie. Or they don't really want the best for the Owls.

Tremendous step in the right direction to have such a performance against Purdue.

A look back at Lane's games against P5 teams:
- 2017 Loss to Wisconsin 31-14.
- 2018 Loss to Oklahoma 63-14.
- 2019 Loss to Ohio State 45-21.

Our best performance against a P5 team ever and all of the naysayers have nothing to say. Rick has a point.

Lane never beat any team with more talent than ours. Not one "big" upset. Don't get me wrong - he was tremendous for the program. But he won with Charlie's recruits and most of Lane's recruits never made it to campus.

Posted On: Sep 27th 2022, 5:04 PM #408664

Back to the top

+1
Back to the top

owlmart said

We could have won the game, people would still call for WT's head. "It was against the backup QB" "Purdue is a bottom tier Big 10 team" etc. The call was wrong, on to the next game.
Posted On: Sep 27th 2022, 5:11 PM #408666

Everything you said is true.
Back to the top

Not to be argumentative, and the call was bs (and there were other blown calls in that game) - but let's not pretend we did not have multiple opportunities to still put that game away regardless of it. Good teams learn to overcome bad calls and adversity on the road, and we can digest "bad plays" as well that were our own doing that cost us the game. I can think of several.

Remember, even with that call, we still had the ball in FG territory and lost the game by 2. And I have not been one to scream for anyone's head, and have been anything but a "hater" here, but I just called it like I saw it from Saturday. Think it should be understood that there is going to be frustration after a game like that, where we had an opportunity to finally get a signature win for the program, and for various reasons came up just short. Moral victories are nice, but they don't count - and G5s knocking off vulnerable P5s on the road isn't so out of the ordinary – just ask MTSU from Saturday.

With that said, as others have mentioned – put it behind us, show us the team/staff have learned from the mistakes, take care of business Saturday so we don't have to worry about blown calls, and all will be well in Owl Land!
Back to the top

Purdue beat a pretty good Minnesota team today. On the road no less.
Back to the top

We got robbed, that game still stings. Should have won, oh well.

But yeah, they are a solid team. Well coached, and won with the run game as well.
Back to the top
Control functions: