Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

The Real Problem

Was going to post this analysis last night, then decided to hold off until morning to let the dust settle.

That said…

The win performance problem appears to be a simple one.

We have upgraded the offensive line, upgraded our receivers, and upgraded our tight ends.

When you throw 52% - as happened against North Texas - and it's your main point of attack, it's not going to go well. No matter who is on the field for you offensively. Period.

Charlotte 68% - Win
Ohio 57% - Loss
SELA 60% - Win (374 yards rushing)
UCF 45% - Loss
Purdue 60% - Loss
UNT 52% - Loss

Have to be able to hit at least 63%, preferably 65% to win consistently. If the final effort was in this range, recalculate the wins. Different outcome in at least one game, more likely two.

Bottom line, we have an erratic showing at the most important position on the field. And it's not working.

Coach Taggart made a decision to put the future of the program on Perry's shoulders.  He was a career 53% passer at Miami. Perhaps they thought they could improve upon that effort. But in all reality that decision is his to own. And thus, so are the results.

Moving forward, if I am Taggart, or Coach Dearmon, I am spending all the time I can - every single day - finding out the root cause of this accuracy issue. I would also stop putting so much emphasis on taking the top off the defense. Shorter, more high percentage tosses. We have a number of guys who are quick enough to do this. Spread it out and pick away at defenses. Then throw a long ball when tired and the confidence level can coincide.

Yes there have been drops. Not minimizing that facet, but it's not the main issue. Accuracy is.

That's all I got.
Back to the top

Is Michael Johnson Jr not capable of taking a look at?

Dude was a highly touted QB out of HS.  I am a bit lost why we haven’t at least seen him for a few series….

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

My friend said Perry is inconsistent and caved under pressure which all are true. He makes an amazing play then throws a very very ill advised pick.  The accuracy and completion percentage shows his root issue.  Bad mechanics,  he has no zip on the ball.

Lejohntay Wester tbh maybe our best receiver in school history not named Bryant.  Like the pick yesterday, Perry saw som pressure and threw off his back leg, that’s a no no. He can’t make a screen throw for his life, it’s all mental.  If you haven’t figured that out at year 5 you never will. 

The defense is run down, they can only hold soo much when the offense go on 3 and outs every series. Mobley was never used in yesterdays game. He’s a bruiser back and he shifty reminds me of motor a bit. Where are out tight ends, nowhere. Where is Michael Johnson?

We have no options, and the coaching matters. 

Back to the top

Gotta give MJJ a shot. May as well give WTJ a few series. Perry hasn’t done enough to be the unquestioned leader of our program.

ROLL OWLS
Back to the top

walty12 said

Is Michael Johnson Jr not capable of taking a look at?
Posted On: Oct 2nd 2022, 10:27 AM #409026

No, he's injured.

It's not the same injury as before, another one.

Feel bad for him.

Back to the top

Rick said

No, he's injured.

It's not the same injury as before, another one.

Feel bad for him.
Posted On: Oct 2nd 2022, 11:16 AM #409031

Can MJJ be healthy by Homecoming against CUSA powerhouse Rice? Can MJJ save Willies job? Willies career? Find out next time on the Owls Saga!

ROLL OWLS
Back to the top

No, he's not going to be playing.
Back to the top

It's alot more than just the QB.

The defense is terrible.   Always out of place.  Swiss cheese

The oline is average at best.   With our talent at RB, that needs to be a strength

Many of the wrs drop balls

The coaching is awful and they never make adjustments.   Stupid mistakes as well from the team.  

The recruiting hasn't been anything special.   As I said before , getting former p5 guys just because the school name is attached to them is flawed.  A lot failed for a reason. .

They need new leadership period .  Spend more and do a real search this time.  They went the cheap and lazy route with Taggart and it has cost them all momentum that Kiffin created.  Predictable outcome
Back to the top

SeminOwl28 said

The oline is average at best.   With our talent at RB, that needs to be a strength

The coaching is awful and they never make adjustments.   Stupid mistakes as well from the team.  

The recruiting hasn't been anything special.   As I said before , getting former p5 guys just because the school name is attached to them is flawed.  A lot failed for a reason. .

They need new leadership period .  Spend more and do a real search this time.  They went the cheap and lazy route with Taggart and it has cost them all momentum that Kiffin created.  Predictable outcome
Posted On: Oct 2nd 2022, 11:38 AM #409034

If you look at the better players on the team it has been the kids from HS. It is one area of strength recruiting wise, but too may misses in the portal.
Back to the top

Owls2013 said

SeminOwl28 said

Posted On: Oct 2nd 2022, 11:38 AM #409034

If you look at the better players on the team it has been the kids from HS. It is one area of strength recruiting wise, but too may misses in the portal.
Posted On: Oct 2nd 2022, 12:07 PM #409035

Better players on a bad team isn't saying much.  They've missed in both areas plenty.  And the ones they hit on are hampered by an inept coach
Back to the top
Control functions: