Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Way too early names to consider for potential coaching vacancy

walty12 said

FAU Fan said

David Slavic said

I'll throw out a few of my favorite candidates here:

Glenn Spencer. He's 58, so he could get this HC job and probably stick around a while.

Kendall Briles. Great offensive mind, will be a good P5 candidate soon.

Jeff Lebby. Another great offensive mind, will be a P5 coach before too long. Has experience in the AAC, and in FL specifically.

Gino Guidugli. OC at Cincinnati, will be a good candidate once Luke Fickell moves onto a P5 job. Did great work with the UC offense the last few years, probably comfortable in the G5 schools, and knows the AAC.

I wouldn't look to pick up another failed/fired head coach. That's just buying a name. LK only made sense because he spent a few years working for Saban and developing. Taggart wasn't a good hire, and I was just ok with it.

FAU is a great place for an OC/DC to win, especially since we all agree that the talent, location, and facilities are pretty good here. If I'm Brian White, I'm firing Taggart once we're guaranteed another losing season. Then I'm calling a hot OC, who we could probably hire in our budget, since he's not a head coach.

Posted On: Oct 3rd 2022, 11:07 AM #409048
A lot of great names being thrown around here, but I understand that FAU are not that flush with money for the Athletic Program.
We are moving to the AAC with a less that desirable baseball stadium and basketball arena, both needing upgrades.
With a new interim President, Stacy Volnick starting in January, I just do not see us spending money on buyouts or new hires.
Wish it was different, just the way I see it.
Posted On: Oct 3rd 2022, 11:29 AM #409050
Kind of seeing things the same myself.

I have anxiety over who the next President is going to be and when.

We are as close to being FIU as are being UCF.

College sports is expensive and takes creative thinking a strong desire for success from all forms of leadership at a University to succeed.  Specifically President—>AD—->HC.  You get the wrong President in, who doesn't care about sports or thinks the costs are astronomical…things can go way further south.

Here's to hoping this change over goes well.
Posted On: Oct 3rd 2022, 2:36 PM #409056

If we're in the market for a new coach this off season it needs to be a home run.
Back to the top

Well, if it is an interim president, I would hope the board of trustees will have a say about one of the biggest and current investments FAU has. I always liked the idea of Cincinnati's OC, somebody used to be a winner in the AAC. I would think that among all the investments needed to be at par with the new conference, the football HC should be a high priority.

What about somebody already successful running programs, like maybe North Dakota's HC? or even somebody from the SunBelt that is winning with a fraction of the resources we have.

Back to the top

Moving UP a level ALWAYS costs $$$.
Back to the top

Glenn Spencer in hindsight would have been a better choice than WT.  He had the support of a lot of players after the bowl win over SMU in 2019.

Another name to consider: James Coley? Strong ties to FLA, 49 years old, offensive background.
Back to the top

What about Charlie Weiss Jr who was here under Kiffin and is again the OC for Kiffin at Ole Miss? Kiffin really believes in his abilities as an offensive coach.
Back to the top

owl said

What about Charlie Weiss Jr who was here under Kiffin and is again the OC for Kiffin at Ole Miss? Kiffin really believes in his abilities as an offensive coach.
Posted On: Oct 3rd 2022, 7:46 PM #409061

This is who I thought we should have hired initially. To me, it would have made sense to hire within Kiffin's staff and continue what he built with coaches who coordinated under his watch. He was a young up and coming coach who oversaw one of our best offenses in school history.
Back to the top

axaltaracing24 said

owl said

Posted On: Oct 3rd 2022, 7:46 PM #409061

This is who I thought we should have hired initially. To me, it would have made sense to hire within Kiffin's staff and continue what he built with coaches who coordinated under his watch. He was a young up and coming coach who oversaw one of our best offenses in school history.
Posted On: Oct 3rd 2022, 8:44 PM #409063

Agreed. Either Weiss Jr or Kendal Briles would be my ideal choices
Back to the top

I think I would prefer somebody used to handle a program, or a coordinator with more experience. I always liked Glenn Spencer... or somebody from a successful lower tier school maybe?
Back to the top

ROwl2007 said

I think I would prefer somebody used to handle a program, or a coordinator with more experience. I always liked Glenn Spencer… or somebody from a successful lower tier school maybe?

Posted On: Oct 4th 2022, 8:38 AM #409065

Glenn Spencer was fired as the USF DC last year.

There is no easy answers for an FAU. It is young OC/DC from winning program who does not have experience or vet that most likely failed at their last stop.

You can hire the next great coach or end up with the next Jeff Scott or like I said go with retred and will have mixed reviews on the hire.

Couple things to think about with young coaches  OC/DC couple things to consider:

1.Do they actually call plays? A lot of times that information is kept close to the vest.

2. Can they build a staff? This task is harder for younger coaches. Can they build a staff that can recruit Fla?
Back to the top

Glenn Spencer is currently the LB coach at Wake Forest, currently ranked 15th in the AP. I don't know if that makes a big difference, but USF wasn't good even after he was gone, and CW Jr. is at Ole Miss now, so both are gone. 
Back to the top
Control functions: