Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Way too early names to consider for potential coaching vacancy

owlfan1 said

I haven't run through the entire thread and all names mentioned. Maybe already posted, but what about Bobby Petrino? He had runs at Louisville and Arkansas. Some scandal, of course. Now he is at Missouri State and he has developed a solid program there. Tons of experience. He knows how to run a program and how to win. Late in his career, and not a young gun who would be sure to jump ship after a couple of successful seasons. Not saying he would stay forever, but he might stay longer than many other options who seem to be up and comers.

**Edit. Some rumors swirling that Petrino could be looked at by Colorado.

GO OWLS!!!
Posted On: Nov 6th 2022, 8:29 PM #410022
Petrino didn’t have as much success during his second term at Louisville as he did earlier in his career. He also hasn’t done that well at Missouri St. He is 16-15 overall and 3-6 this year. I think his time as an elite head coach may have passed.
Back to the top

Dare I say? Urban Meyer? Would have a Kiffin 2.0 type introduction 
Back to the top

“I’m really happy with Fox and really happy with the lifestyle right now. Flying in today to see grandkids. I’m happy with what I am doing.” - Urban Meyer, September 21, 2022
Back to the top

walty12 said

FAU Fan said

You are probably correct about Taggart Jr. as QB next year, but I believe our starter will come through the transfer portal.
Also, how impressive has Perry been anyway?
I do not think we would take a step backwards replacing Perry next year.
Posted On: Oct 16th 2022, 7:40 AM #409362
With the right QB, this same team is 5-2.

That being said, it's on WT to have the right QB in there.

Posted On: Oct 24th 2022, 10:52 AM #409612

Taggarts coaching style requires a good qb. He did well when he had good qbs and I think the other QBs need time in rotation now.
Back to the top

voss749 said

walty12 said

FAU Fan said

You are probably correct about Taggart Jr. as QB next year, but I believe our starter will come through the transfer portal.
Also, how impressive has Perry been anyway?
I do not think we would take a step backwards replacing Perry next year.
Posted On: Oct 16th 2022, 7:40 AM #409362
With the right QB, this same team is 5-2.

That being said, it's on WT to have the right QB in there.

Posted On: Oct 24th 2022, 10:52 AM #409612

Taggarts coaching style requires a good qb. He did well when he had good qbs and I think the other QBs need time in rotation now.
Posted On: Nov 7th 2022, 11:46 AM #410027

This offense would be very good with a game manager. Just need someone to hit the short throws and hand the ball off. Speed would be good too.

Perry, unfortunately, has no accuracy in the medium throws and is not exactly fast.

If MJJ (or even WTJ) can hit a medium range throw…. Watch out. Because both of them have elite speed.

ROLL OWLS
Back to the top

LawOwl said

cbboarder said

David Slavic said

GeorgiaOwl said

On Rivals we would be 7th of next years teams presently.

WE are doing better this year but to take this so far weak CUSA team into AAC with a bottom half recruiting class we will be even weaker next year without LOTS of transfer help! Especially unless the Coaching steps up A LOT!
Posted On: Oct 4th 2022, 4:14 PM #409086
We can't win in arguably the weakest of the G5 conferences, despite being at the top of the conference in terms of skill level. It's definitely a coaching issue, and we're going to get killed next year.

I believe that FAU will just let WT finish out his contract, then go hire a better coach.

Also, just floating out there Gary Patterson, if he doesn't get picked up by P5 school like Colorado that needs a big name.
Posted On: Oct 6th 2022, 9:25 AM #409102

Yes, if WT is our coach next year it's going to be a bloodbath. Especially, if he plans on having his son as our starting QB...

Nothing against the young man, I just don't think the skill level is there for a AAC schedule. Hell, he's probably a bottom tier C-USA QB.

Go Owls!

Posted On: Oct 6th 2022, 11:20 AM #409103

He’s a run first QB which increasingly becoming a thing of the past in College Football. I think next year is going to be a bloodbath regardless because WT hasn’t built any depth on this roster it’s all very top heavy 
Posted On: Oct 6th 2022, 12:15 PM #409104

One thing that might save willie is an OC who knows how develop running backs and can recruit FAU's area

There is one that might have just become available. Travis Trickett.
The odd couple of pass happy Taggart and run heavy Trickett might be very interesting. It cant be worse than the current OC.

Back to the top

owl said

owlfan1 said

I haven't run through the entire thread and all names mentioned. Maybe already posted, but what about Bobby Petrino? He had runs at Louisville and Arkansas. Some scandal, of course. Now he is at Missouri State and he has developed a solid program there. Tons of experience. He knows how to run a program and how to win. Late in his career, and not a young gun who would be sure to jump ship after a couple of successful seasons. Not saying he would stay forever, but he might stay longer than many other options who seem to be up and comers.

**Edit. Some rumors swirling that Petrino could be looked at by Colorado.

GO OWLS!!!
Posted On: Nov 6th 2022, 11:29 PM #410022
Petrino didn’t have as much success during his second term at Louisville as he did earlier in his career. He also hasn’t done that well at Missouri St. He is 16-15 overall and 3-6 this year. I think his time as an elite head coach may have passed.
Posted On: Nov 7th 2022, 7:57 AM #410024

Petrino had something going at Missouri State last year. Looked to have a solid team earlier this year. Things have gone off the rails the past few weeks. Toughest conference in FCS. I agree though, he is likely not a candidate and has some positives as well as negatives. Had he performed better this season, building on last year's 8-5 season, he might be worthy of a conversation. For the sake of transparency. When I made the original post, I had not seen how Missouri State performed the past few weeks. I saw the solid start at the beginning of the season and the close game at Arkansas. A lot changed for both Missouri State and Arkansas since then.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

Back to Scott Frost. Looks like there might be interest from USF. He is a name I threw out earlier for FAU. No reason the Owls shouldn't at least give him some consideration.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

owlfan1 said

Back to Scott Frost. Looks like there might be interest from USF. He is a name I threw out earlier for FAU. No reason the Owls shouldn't at least give him some consideration.

GO OWLS!!!
Posted On: Nov 11th 2022, 11:44 PM #410128

Consideration, you'd have to I think.
Back to the top

How much influence does our OC have in developing and implementing/calling the plays? Briles had good fortune before and after his time at FSU. This isn't an ad for his coaching at FAU. Or maybe it is. OK. It is. But I'm really asking about whose offense we are running?  
Back to the top
Control functions: