Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Clewiston High's Preston Thompson Jr shuns Big Ten, SEC interest, Pledges to FAU

Add topic

The Owls have had their struggles in C-USA getting the full attention of "next level" prospects but that is changing.

Clewiston High School defensive back Preston Thompson Jr, a 6-0", 165 lbs prospect announced his pledge to the Owls on Tuesday afternoon via social media.

FAU's upcoming transition to the AAC, which is becoming a pattern from an interest standpoint, and one that is shared by other's with FAU staff interest as well, played a part in securing the pledge from him.

The programs he selected Florida Atlantic over just go to illustrate this pattern, as his two standing offers are from the likes of both Penn State and Kentucky.

He also has a desire to remain close to home for his NCAA playing and academic career.

"He is going to blow up, so we wanted to get in early", a source familiar with his recruitment said of Thompson.

The Owls now have two pledges for the 2023 class, marking the first time they have done so nearly two years out from a period's first signing date as a program. In October Deerfield WR Arthur Jenkins also announced his decision.

FAU will look to begin to bring current class prospects in for official visits soon, with December 9th - 12th being targeted dates at present.
Back to the top

Looks like he took down his commitment post.
Back to the top

Big Lerm said

Looks like he took down his commitment post.
Posted On: Nov 23rd 2021, 9:41 PM #405415

Reposted it, and added a Bible verse:

Back to the top

Thompson has decommitted:

Back to the top

I am only guessing on this, but my take is that Tom Herman may have plans on bringing in a number of transfers this year and will need these scholarships from players who have decommitted.
We may lose a recruit here and there, but gain a player with some experience.
Willie did have a following of players being recruited.
Back to the top

Thinking along those lines too. Moving up into better tougher conference does not give him time to "develop" freshman as much!
Back to the top

One thing I will say is that for all his shortcomings, I don’t think Willie left the cupboard as bare as Lane did upon his departure especially when you consider the loss of Robison just before the 2020 season.
Back to the top

LawOwl said

One thing I will say is that for all his shortcomings, I don’t think Willie left the cupboard as bare as Lane did upon his departure especially when you consider the loss of Robison just before the 2020 season.
Posted On: Dec 19th 2022, 4:23 PM #411448

I agree completely that Willie and staff did not leave the cupboard bare at all.
The main problem was the inability to win games with these players.
Back to the top

Preston Thomas visited FIU on 16th and signed there yest.
Back to the top
Control functions: