Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

New Arena

Add topic

I definitely think we need to improve the basketball arena, and expansion being among the improvements. Especially moving up conferences. I do not think nor want to go too crazy. We’ve had good attendance for what 3 games. Can you imagine how bad it’ll look having 1,000 fans in a 10,000 capacity arena. I would like to go up to 5,000-7,000 seats. On a side note, still can’t believe the Lane years didn’t bring more fans on a consistent basis since him leaving. So kind of why I don’t think we have to go too crazy with this.
Back to the top

Big Lerm said

I definitely think we need to improve the basketball arena, and expansion being among the improvements. Especially moving up conferences. I do not think nor want to go too crazy. We’ve had good attendance for what 3 games. Can you imagine how bad it’ll look having 1,000 fans in a 10,000 capacity arena. I would like to go up to 5,000-7,000 seats. On a side note, still can’t believe the Lane years didn’t bring more fans on a consistent basis since him leaving. So kind of why I don’t think we have to go too crazy with this.
Posted On: Jan 27th 2023, 6:06 PM #412132

For reference, Cleveland State in the horizon league has an arena capable of 15k.

They also have areas that can be curtained off with bleachers pushed in if it's not a big event or concert.   They can do something like that

I was at a high school game in Ohio yesterday and the capacity was about 3k in that gym.  So yes something has to be done.   

They are going to the AAC now.   If they are serious about basketball , you can't play in a quasi HS gym and sustain success

But hey I can't control that.   I'm enjoying this year as what May has done with lack of resources is remarkable
Back to the top

I mean talking a bigger arena is great and all. But where are we getting the money for that? Our baseball stadium does not even have bathrooms yet.

Lets just enjoy the year we are witnessing! The atmosphere is great, and I would honestly rather keep it smaller. Creates a much better atmosphere. I agree if we can expand or get a new arena it should not be any bigger than 7500. Hindsight the football stadium probably should have been built 5-10k less seats. the 13-15k we average would create a way better atmosphere that a 1/3rd or half full stadium we average.
Back to the top

DeltAlumnus said

I mean talking a bigger arena is great and all. But where are we getting the money for that? Our baseball stadium does not even have bathrooms yet.

Lets just enjoy the year we are witnessing! The atmosphere is great, and I would honestly rather keep it smaller. Creates a much better atmosphere. I agree if we can expand or get a new arena it should not be any bigger than 7500. Hindsight the football stadium probably should have been built 5-10k less seats. the 13-15k we average would create a way better atmosphere that a 1/3rd or half full stadium we average.

Posted On: Jan 28th 2023, 10:50 AM #412135

The incremental cost to build the extra seats at the time was probably negligible compared to the greater cost of the stadium. Would fans be closer if we had less seats? I think it would have cost a lot more to build the extra seats down the road. 

Remember: we average around 25 thousand fans per game when hosting teams in the AAC. 

ROLL OWLS
Back to the top

DeltAlumnus said

Absolutely correct!
FAU does not have the kind of money pouring in from alumni like a lot of established universities, including smaller schools that have been around for many years.
Recent monies donated will serve to provide upgrades, but are far from the finances needed for building new complexes.
This is a public university governed by the state.
Until we start to see the “benefits” from the AAC move, which will not come for a couple of years, upgrades are all we can afford at this time.
Back to the top

FAU Fan said

DeltAlumnus said

Absolutely correct!
FAU does not have the kind of money pouring in from alumni like a lot of established universities, including smaller schools that have been around for many years.
Recent monies donated will serve to provide upgrades, but are far from the finances needed for building new complexes.
This is a public university governed by the state.
Until we start to see the “benefits” from the AAC move, which will not come for a couple of years, upgrades are all we can afford at this time.
Posted On: Jan 28th 2023, 11:11 AM #412137

Well nobody said instantly.  But rather than putting lipstick on a pig, they should wait until they can get a new arena
Back to the top

DeltAlumnus said

+1

We have $7.5M to "completely reimagine" the current infrastructure of Baldwin Arena.

From what I have been told regarding the design options, everyone should love what comes out of it.

Back to the top

We’ve been good for 5 mins and we need 10k seats! 😂

how bout we have a run of people not being able to get tickets? If you want to draw in the money from Boca, there is nothing more valuable than telling someone they can’t get in.

We’re a coaching change away from 200 at the games again. Which is HIGHLY likely in 2 months. So let’s take the $7m and make it as nice as possible, improve the team facilities, and lock down these casual local fans. 
Back to the top

teambeer said

how bout we have a run of people not being able to get tickets? If you want to draw in the money from Boca, there is nothing more valuable than telling someone they can’t get in.

We’re a coaching change away from 200 at the games again. Which is HIGHLY likely in 2 months. So let’s take the $7m and make it as nice as possible, improve the team facilities, and lock down these casual local fans. 
Posted On: Jan 28th 2023, 2:15 PM #412141

Here's the bottom line.  We have a high school sized gym for a D1 basketball program.   If you don't think that hurts recruiting and ability to build a program, you are nuts

If we are complacent and want one good season every 20 years then yeah stick with a joke capacity like that.   I think we can do better though

Again, Cleveland state has had a handful of good years and have a 15k capacity arena that is nice.  It is also rented out for other events and concerts.  No saying FAU can't do a similar type plan
Back to the top

SeminOwl28 said

teambeer said

Posted On: Jan 28th 2023, 2:15 PM #412141

Here's the bottom line.  We have a high school sized gym for a D1 basketball program.   If you don't think that hurts recruiting and ability to build a program, you are nuts

If we are complacent and want one good season every 20 years then yeah stick with a joke capacity like that.   I think we can do better though

Again, Cleveland state has had a handful of good years and have a 15k capacity arena that is nice.  It is also rented out for other events and concerts.  No saying FAU can't do a similar type plan
Posted On: Jan 28th 2023, 3:32 PM #412143

Doesn’t hurt to see what the designs will be. With the right design maybe you can add a 1-2 seats. We’re probably so far away from a new arena you need to build upon what we already have. 

Football will always be the priority. So unless someone comes in and donates millions or we have years of sold out attendance I don’t think this is gonna change. 15k seat arena would just be stupid here. 
Back to the top
Control functions: