Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

New Arena

Add topic

DeltAlumnus said

SeminOwl28 said

teambeer said

We’ve been good for 5 mins and we need 10k seats! 😂

how bout we have a run of people not being able to get tickets? If you want to draw in the money from Boca, there is nothing more valuable than telling someone they can’t get in.

We’re a coaching change away from 200 at the games again. Which is HIGHLY likely in 2 months. So let’s take the $7m and make it as nice as possible, improve the team facilities, and lock down these casual local fans. 
Posted On: Jan 28th 2023, 2:15 PM #412141

Here's the bottom line.  We have a high school sized gym for a D1 basketball program.   If you don't think that hurts recruiting and ability to build a program, you are nuts

If we are complacent and want one good season every 20 years then yeah stick with a joke capacity like that.   I think we can do better though

Again, Cleveland state has had a handful of good years and have a 15k capacity arena that is nice.  It is also rented out for other events and concerts.  No saying FAU can't do a similar type plan
Posted On: Jan 28th 2023, 3:32 PM #412143

Doesn’t hurt to see what the designs will be. With the right design maybe you can add a 1-2 seats. We’re probably so far away from a new arena you need to build upon what we already have. 

Football will always be the priority. So unless someone comes in and donates millions or we have years of sold out attendance I don’t think this is gonna change. 15k seat arena would just be stupid here. 
Posted On: Jan 28th 2023, 8:33 PM #412171

Improvement is needed for basketball and baseball in terms of facilities.  I know South Florida has a tough time with attendance and loyalty overall because of transplants and stuff to do.  But the college players shouldn't be playing in a HS gym.   15 k for mediocre Cleveland St was just an example.  
Back to the top

DeltAlumnus said

SeminOwl28 said

teambeer said

how bout we have a run of people not being able to get tickets? If you want to draw in the money from Boca, there is nothing more valuable than telling someone they can’t get in.

We’re a coaching change away from 200 at the games again. Which is HIGHLY likely in 2 months. So let’s take the $7m and make it as nice as possible, improve the team facilities, and lock down these casual local fans. 
Here's the bottom line.  We have a high school sized gym for a D1 basketball program.   If you don't think that hurts recruiting and ability to build a program, you are nuts

If we are complacent and want one good season every 20 years then yeah stick with a joke capacity like that.   I think we can do better though

Again, Cleveland state has had a handful of good years and have a 15k capacity arena that is nice.  It is also rented out for other events and concerts.  No saying FAU can't do a similar type plan
Doesn’t hurt to see what the designs will be. With the right design maybe you can add a 1-2 seats. We’re probably so far away from a new arena you need to build upon what we already have. 

Football will always be the priority. So unless someone comes in and donates millions or we have years of sold out attendance I don’t think this is gonna change. 15k seat arena would just be stupid here. 
Well, somebody just came and donated $7,500,000.

I’d like to see us build out something that can seat ~6,500k.

I am with TeamBeer, you make the ticket a tough one to get.  FAU does not need a 12,000 seat basketball arena.  Not right now anyway.  

We need a class A place that seats 6k.  Better concessions, better technology.  A place that feels upscale.  Suites that align with the court, not behind the goal.

We currently have $14,500,000 sitting in the coffers for improvements to sports facilities.  More $ coming.  Our campus resides in one of the wealthiest areas of the country.  Please miss me with the “we are broke” speech.  We have money, and if we are struggling for more…hire folks who can network and fundraise with the right people in S FL.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

SeminOwl28 said

DeltAlumnus said

SeminOwl28 said

teambeer said

Improvement is needed for basketball and baseball in terms of facilities.  I know South Florida has a tough time with attendance and loyalty overall because of transplants and stuff to do.  But the college players shouldn't be playing in a HS gym.   15 k for mediocre Cleveland St was just an example.  
Posted On: Jan 29th 2023, 10:48 AM #412174
Stop giving examples of schools that dont have football program.  If we didn’t have a football program/stadium, we could literally build something nicer than most NBA arenas.

It’s not just South Florida.  UCF just built a brand new basketball arena where nobody goes to the games.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

walty12 said

DeltAlumnus said

SeminOwl28 said

teambeer said

I am with TeamBeer, you make the ticket a tough one to get.  FAU does not need a 12,000 seat basketball arena.  Not right now anyway.  

We need a class A place that seats 6k.  Better concessions, better technology.  A place that feels upscale.  Suites that align with the court, not behind the goal.

We currently have $14,500,000 sitting in the coffers for improvements to sports facilities.  More $ coming.  Our campus resides in one of the wealthiest areas of the country.  Please miss me with the “we are broke” speech.  We have money, and if we are struggling for more…hire folks who can network and fundraise with the right people in S FL.

Posted On: Jan 29th 2023, 10:52 AM #412175

100% agree. 
Back to the top

walty12 said

DeltAlumnus said

SeminOwl28 said

teambeer said

Posted On: Jan 29th 2023, 10:52 AM #412175

We do have money. Which is why the baseball field and basketball arena need some improvement.   Again it can be done

Once again, 15k was just an example.  Some MAC schools around me have over a 6 k capacity.  They have football

I'd say around 7- 8k would be a big improvement over the joke capacity we have now.  And it would be more in line with the AAC majority.
Back to the top

walty12 said

SeminOwl28 said

DeltAlumnus said

SeminOwl28 said

teambeer said

Posted On: Jan 28th 2023, 11:15 AM #412141

Posted On: Jan 28th 2023, 12:32 PM #412143

Posted On: Jan 28th 2023, 5:33 PM #412171
Posted On: Jan 29th 2023, 7:48 AM #412174
Stop giving examples of schools that dont have football program.  If we didn’t have a football program/stadium, we could literally build something nicer than most NBA arenas.

It’s not just South Florida.  UCF just built a brand new basketball arena where nobody goes to the games.
Posted On: Jan 29th 2023, 7:56 AM #412176

What about Georgia State? They have a football program and just opened a brand new 8,000 seat arena for $80 million similar to what FAU should build. This after spending $53 million of mostly GSU funds for their new football stadium (renovating Turner field vs. FAU’s $70 million stadium) and have a new 2,500 seat baseball stadium in the works costing an estimated $10 million.
Back to the top

I'm pretty sure Georgia the State, gave Georgia State $48 million for their basketball arena. And they have $21 million through naming rights for what would have been an abandoned sports complex…

The City of Boca Raton thinks our Second Avenue ideas are stupid. And for a thousand bucks, you could name our stadium Princess Consuela Banana Hammock.

Two things can be true. We need a new arena. And we can't afford it. The good news is, once one of those things is no longer true, neither will be…

You can get some pretty decent band aids for $10. I'm curious to see what $7,500,000 will cover.
Back to the top

:Laughing:

What a post!
Back to the top

It’s definitely something for the university to think about.
The Gym was completed in 1984. So I guess signed off and designed in 1983. That’s 4 years after I graduated. In 1980 there were about 7,000 students with one small one classroom extension in Palm Beach Gardens. In 1984 what was the enrollment? 10,000 maybe?  Basketball started in 1988. 
Point is I think the university has out grown the gym which was built to service a smaller enrollment and much smaller athletic dept and less students living on campus. Boca Raton and surrounding cities were smaller too. 
It could be used for much more than basketball like graduation ceremonies. It would definitely be a good investment. 

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

illinoisowl said

It’s definitely something for the university to think about.
The Gym was completed in 1984. So I guess signed off and designed in 1983. That’s 4 years after I graduated. In 1980 there were about 7,000 students with one small one classroom extension in Palm Beach Gardens. In 1984 what was the enrollment? 10,000 maybe?  Basketball started in 1988. 
Point is I think the university has out grown the gym which was built to service a smaller enrollment and much smaller athletic dept and less students living on campus. Boca Raton and surrounding cities were smaller too. 
It could be used for much more than basketball like graduation ceremonies. It would definitely be a good investment. 

Posted On: Jan 29th 2023, 8:03 PM #412182

Agree Ill Owl! I graduated in '79 and we had NOTHING!

So proud of what my school has become but…

I go back to my Navy arena as it is perfect size for us as a combo arena/convo center and fits perfectly in the available footprint right next to the current "arena". Then KEEP the present one for practice facility/volleyball arena.

After all WHY was the AWAY MTSU game selected for national tv and not HERE while we are still hot??? Just askin a question…the arena maybe????
Back to the top
Control functions: