Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

GAME WEEK CAPSULE: FAU @ UAB | Charlotte - Feb 2nd & 4th, 2023

Add topic

FINAL STATS

(19) FAU 77 UAB 86

Boyd, Davis, and Goldin combine for 48 PTS as the team goes down fighting. They struggled from deep going 8-of-36, and were unable to keep the Blazers away from the charity stripe allowing 26 PTS. MUST BOUNCE BACK ON SATURDAY! Go Owls!🦉🏀

Back to the top

I thought they got outmuscled on the boards. This was a game that they should paired up Goldin and Rosado on the court at the same time. 
Back to the top

Just like every Thursday, I had to watch this one on a late delay. With ten minutes of game time, my partner said, "Well, it had to end some time." I had to watch the rest of the game wondering if she was being pessimistic or if she'd peeked.

Maybe that's a critique on MACtion.

The ball just didn't bounce our way. Of course, the players determine which way the ball will bounce…

It did have to end some time. But, hell. I'm allowed to be pi**ed about it (you can't say pi** here??) .
Back to the top

This might end up being a good loss. The team needed a dose of reality before gearing up for a potential deep run in the tournament. This was by far the toughest game remaining on the schedule
Back to the top

FAU Alum 1988 said

I thought they got outmuscled on the boards. This was a game that they should paired up Goldin and Rosado on the court at the same time. 
Posted On: Feb 2nd 2023, 9:39 PM #412249
I have heard this discussion before of both big men together from some very knowledgeable basketball people.
We understood that Dusty wanted to go with what was working during the winning streak.
Hopefully we can use that option when we face this kind of a team in the future.
Goldin and Rosado together would be very interesting.
Back to the top

Tryin' too many 3's (only 8 of 36!!) on the road IMHO, always a big gamble to me.  But over 50% on 2's (20 of 39).

But gotta give UAB credit, outplayed us! That's ok, gonna happen, learn and go on Owls!
Back to the top

We're a 4 out 1 in team. Two bigs is not in our cards to enable the most offensive production we can muster.

Now, we might go with the addition of a hybrid big, like Lorient, down the line at times. But to have basically our two centers (Goldin, Rosado) on the court at the same time isn't going to happen, IMHO.

Just had a really bad night from 3PT.

If we would have just shot 33%, which is 4% below our average we win the game.

Tough loss.
Back to the top

Owl Ranger said

This might end up being a good loss. The team needed a dose of reality before gearing up for a potential deep run in the tournament. This was by far the toughest game remaining on the schedule
Posted On: Feb 3rd 2023, 6:26 AM #412251

This. 

We weren’t winning out to the Elite 8, the boys could use a bloody nose to get them refocused. It’s so hard to win 20 straight, we were due for an L. Can’t wait to beat UAB in the CUSA finals to keep Jelly home this March. 
Back to the top

Meanwhile, everyone outside the program says that we were a fraud - you can't make this stuff up!

:Laughing:  :Laughing:  :Laughing:
Back to the top

FAU Looks to Rebound at 49ers

What: #19 FAU (21-2, 11-1) vs. Charlotte (13-9, 4-7)

When: Sat. Feb 4th, @ 4:00 PM

Where: Halton Arena

Series: FAU holds a 7-6 edge over the 49ers

TV: ESPN+

Radio: FoxSports 640

Live Stats: Here

Line: FAU -3.5

Owl Notables

UAB’s Jelly Walker returned from a five-game absence and posted 13 points and six assists to help the Blazers snap Florida Atlantic’s 20-game winning streak 86-77 on Thursday night.

A key factor was the Owls' 22% showing from downtown. In the 3-point battle, FAU is 11-0 when shooting a higher percentage than its opponents and 18-1 when making more threes than its opponents

Guard Michael Forrest is one three pointer from tying the program record of 287 (Greg Gantt 2009-13) after the  UAB contest as he is now fourth place all-time in scoring with 1,503 points.

Record Updates

• Season wins 21 (record 22)
  • Home win streak of 14 games (record 15)

49er Notables

Despite a 27-point scoring outburst by junior Brice Williams, Charlotte fell at home, 57-54, to a red hot FIU squad that walked away with its fourth consecutive victory.

Williams scored his 27 points on 8-of-15 shooting, while draining a career-high four 3-pointers and knocking down all seven of his attempts from the charity stripe to help give CLT the lead in the final minute.

A win over the 19th-ranked Owls would be Charlotte's first home victory over a top-25 opponent, since CLT took down No. 15 Temple , 74-64 on Jan. 27, 2010 in A-10 action.
Back to the top
Control functions:

Related content