Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

2020 FAU Baseball in the Polls

Add topic

With no consideration thus far in the Polls, the Owls are 2-0 after today's final action against Delaware. And while moving into the rankings may be an early thought, most onlookers should be liking what has been shown offensively.

That said, the big question to be answered is still the mound.

Inquiring minds were probably wondering how the team would respond after having to waste newbie Friday starter Josey last night due to an onslaught of unforeseen rain, and are probably now pleasantly surprised as the Owls rebounded well.

The biggest challenge this season (as Coach John McCormack has eluded to) will be establishing a rotation, and also be able to deal with weather interruptions and "off nights".

Certainly not a stellar showing, as the staff has given up nine (9) runs so far to the Blue Hens, but continued success will surely be marked by being able to keep future opponents at bay while the team deals with the uncertainty curve on the bump.

The major test for McCormack's club will come Feb 28th - Mar 4th when FAU faces Texas Tech, FSU, and Florida - all within the span of five (5) days. If the Owls come out of that gauntlet 4-1, or even 3-2 (with close losses), they very well could be ranked.

The precursor will be beating FGCU on Feb. 18th. If they lose that game, ranking will be off the table unless they go 4-1 or even 5-0 in the aforementioned stretch.

The Eagles have dropped two games out of the gate, but they were to Tulane, who was picked ahead of UCF in the 2020 AAC preseason rankings by league Coaches.

Still, it would appear that the Owls need to defeat the Eagles to have a chance.

That said, Athlon has the following as of Feb 11th:

#02 Texas Tech
#06 Miami
#11 FSU
#15 Florida

Athlon is not known as a baseball ranking powerhouse by any means, but there are some similar comparisons to be considered, as DI Baseball also had this:

#03 Miami
#04 Florida
#06 Texas Tech
#12 FSU

Bottom line, fans of the program will be finding out just how good the Owls are - after going through a pressure cooker - real quick, and real soon.

Looking forward to seeing how the pursuit plays out.
Back to the top

Spot on Rick. These juco arms will get a taste of big time hitters real fast. Hopefully they will be ready. I think it will be obvious if they aren't.
Back to the top

The polls never like us.

We almost always start the season Unranked then are ranked for most of the back half.

Either way, this squad has BATS. Up and down the lineup we have real hitters. I agree pitching will be the question. I believe in Josey- but we need more than one good weekend arm. 

Looking forward to watching this team grow. And waiting on our Cinderella run! 

ROLL OWLS
Back to the top

I enjoy watching the surprise arm. The kid that can handle this long season. Every year we have one or two. Too early to tell yet. Eating laspadas. Ready to watch the sweep with a pitcher I know zero about.  But I know we will out score them.
Back to the top

Nothing doing for FAU Baseball in the February 24th poll releases other than voting consideration for the NCBWA Top 30.

BIG weekend ahead…a good showing would change that in a heartbeat.

Go Owls!
Back to the top

This is a ridiculously tough stretch.
Back to the top

Local Owl said

Posted On: Feb 24th 2020, 9:03 PM #394232

Steal 1 from FSU, and 1 from UF/Miami and I'm celebrating as if we won the CWS.
Back to the top

I would be extremely happy with that
Back to the top

Island_Owl88 said

Local Owl said

Posted On: Feb 24th 2020, 9:03 PM #394232

Steal 1 from FSU, and 1 from UF/Miami and I'm celebrating as if we won the CWS.
Posted On: Feb 25th 2020, 8:57 AM #394236
totally agree. 

ROLL OWLS
Back to the top

Believe it or not, FAU is still receiving votes in the NCBWA Top 30 for March 2, 2020.

Go Owls!
Back to the top
Control functions: