Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

2020 SERIES THREAD: Florida vs FAU - March 3rd & April 21st

Add topic

GAME THREAD: #1 Florida vs FAU - March 3rd, 2020

What: No. 1 Florida (11-0) vs FAU (7-3)

When: Wednesday, March 3rd, 2020 @ 7:00 PM

Where: Ballpark of the Palm Beaches

Video: CUSA.tv *Fee

Live Stats: Here

Gators Team Site: Here

Series: The Gators enjoy a 21-9 mark over the Owls.

Projected Starting Pitchers

FAU: LHP Marc DeGusipe (0-0, 10.12)
UF:   LHPJordan Butler (0-0, 0.00)

Notes

Gators

Florida is the consensus #1 team in the nation according to all major NCAA baseball polls aside from Baseball America. However, it is worth noting that they have had their fair share of close games en route to a perfect 11-0 mark for only the third time in program history (1989, 2002).

Aside from fellow C-USA member Marshall, who the Gators swept (9-2, 10-0, 15-8), the Owls may find some comfort in other series' results. These include a narrow midweek contest final of 4-3 against Jacksonville, a five run total difference over Miami (2-1, 7-4, 5-3) in three games, and 3-2 and 10-7 wins over former Sun Belt foe Troy in weekend action.

That said, Florida entered the week tied for 19th nationally with 13 home runs this season, and its .451 slugging percentage ranked 37th nationally to start the week.

UF’s 2.62 team earned run average ranks tied for 34th nationally, but unlike the Owls's the bullpen has been the strength. Through 11 games, relivers are 6-0, with four saves, and have combined for a 1.93 ERA across 51.1 innings.

The Gators have drawn 61 walks in their first 11 games, a total that was tied for 34th nationally to start the week.

Owls

The Owls are coming off a less than stellar showing in Tallhassee against #4 Texas Tech, and #12 FSU, which they fell to by final marks of 7-1, 5-1, 16-6. The starting rotation of RHP Corey Ireson, RHP Jacob Josey, and RHP Dante Visconti did relatively well, however, the bullpen had some challenges, while combining for a 42.44 collective ERA.

Offensively, the team will be looking to rebound quickly after posting a team batting average of .135 for the series. The lone sparks of note were a pair of back-to-back home runs to begin the final contest which set up an early exit for Florida State starter Bryce Hubbart.

Outfielders Mitchell Hartigan (.333) and Bobby Morgensen (.316) are now the only Owls above the .300 threshold at the plate, and have eight and 10 RBI, respectively.

Morgensen also leads the squad with 12 hits, 10 runs scored and 20 total bases, and Hartigan is tops on the team with a .576 slugging percentage.

FAU has faced Florida as a number one team in their three last meetings, while being victorious in two of the contests. The Owls won 13-11 in 2019, and pulled off a 7-4 victory on June 4th of the 2018 Gainesville Regional.
Back to the top

Tough series last weekend leads right into the #1 team in the nation….

No doubt a tough stretch. But if we want to be considered one of the big boys, this is our chance to act like it.

When I'm not in school, I'm schooling the CUSA Twitter game; Follow Me Here
Back to the top

Shaping up to be a great night for baseball!

Back to the top

Tough inning for FAU starter LHP Marc DeGusipe. The Gator bats have been very aggressive, swinging early and often in counts. Hopefully the true freshmen from Tampa can settle in. FAU 0, UF 3. As we enter the bottom half of the first.
Back to the top

FAU able to punch back in the bottom of the first with a two run homer by 3B BJ Murray. The sophomores huge swing was able to clear the fences in left center field. Interesting start here at the Ballpark of The Palm Beaches. FAU 2, UF 3 at the end of the first inning.
Back to the top

Here's that homer from Murray. And look at how pumped he was when crossing the plate!

Back to the top

And now we're level!

FAU already has six hits tonight.

Back to the top

The Owl bats continuing to keep UF starter LHP Jordan Butler off balance. FAU strikes again with an RBI single, allowing OF Jackson Wenstrom to score. Impressive showing so far from the FAU bats. Butler was drafted by the Yankees in the 37th round in 2017. Tie ball game (3-3) at the end of the second inning.
Back to the top

A single by UF 2B Cory Acton pushed the Gators to the lead. Acton was a 39th round pick by the Detroit Tigers in 2018, out of American Heritage HS in Fort Lauderdale. UF OF Jacob Young took a foul ball to the back but remained in the game, and scored on an infield ground out. Gators up 5-3 as we enter the bottom of the third.
Back to the top

Junior LHP Adrian Reese is going to come on to replace DeGusipe as we head to the fourth.

Back to the top
Control functions: