SERIES THREAD: FAU @ UAB - April 16-18, 2021
Local Owl saidJavi has had a couple real good outings lately. If we can get a little pitching, we'll be ok. I've mentioned it before, giving up those huge innings have killed us this season. Great to see the kids still playing hardPosted On: Apr 18th 2021, 3:09 PM
He needs to be moved up.
With the help of catcher Nicholas Toney's heroics, FAU Baseball was able to take game four of their series against the UAB Blazers, winning 5-3. Toney's two-run triple gave the Owls the lead they needed while starting pitcher Javi Rivera had a spectacular 119 pitch complete game.
- Right fielder Bobby Morgensen has finally broken out of his slump. After going hitless in last weekend's series against ODU and a slew of flyouts this series, Morgensen gave the Owls a momentum push with a solo home run in the 7th inning.
- The Owls only struck out three times as a team today, continuing off their success from game three of the series, when they only stuck out once. In contrast, Javi Rivera fanned eight batters today.
- FAU put the 'clutch' in clutch hitting in the ninth inning, scoring four runs off of two hits and two walks when they had their backs against the wall.
- Nolan Schanuel missed a game for the first time this season, Head Coach John McCormack currently has no update on the star first baseman's status.
- Owl batters hit well with two outs, going 4-14 (.286), while UAB batters managed only 2-11 (.181) in that same situation.
"Bobby [Morgensen] had a great game, the home run in the 7th inning really kinda ignited us so I really hope it's the start of him continuing to swing the bat well and getting back to where he needs to be." -Head Coach John McCormack
FAU will return to their home state of Florida to take on their biggest rival, the FIU Panthers. The series will get started in Miami at 7:00 p.m. EST on Friday, April 23.
UPDATED SCHEDULE: HERE
Back to .500 overall, but still some work to do to get there in conference play.
IMHO, J.R. needs to be considered for a promotion at this point. We need a Friday Night Lights spark to help kick-off future series, and take that mental edge.