Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

2014 Scholarship Count and Signing Day Target

Add topic

It happens all the time, but that doesn't make it okay. I understand pulling offers is part of "the game" nowadays, but I would still rather not do it.
Back to the top

Jack David Whidden III said

It happens all the time, but that doesn't make it okay. I understand pulling offers is part of "the game" nowadays, but I would still rather not do it.
Posted On: Jan 22nd 2014, 1:15 PM #326834

How is it not okay? a Scholarship is not a 4 or 5 year contract
Back to the top

A scholarship is only good for one year, and most people forget that premise.

But as Jack mentions can see the point of continuity and reputation as well; as they are very important to uphold a recruiting image.

It's like politics, you can't please everyone…
Back to the top

if a kid can flip on a school (as we have all seen with FIU to FAU) there should be no issue with a school taking a Scholarship back
Back to the top

I'm not talking about a kid flopping on us, it's cool pulling a scholly on a player that we no longer have a chancee of landing. I'm talking about a situation where we have offered a player, and he verbally commits, but for some reason or another, we pull his scholly. So if I'm a student athlete, and I'm all set to go to a university for four years, ready to work my tail off to keep my scholly for all four years, and all of a sudden the university I play for takes away my scholarship. Because the old head coach snorted a few lines? Where's the justice in that?

I know it happens all the time, and that we can't please anybody, but it freaking sucks.
Back to the top

I'm not talking about a kid flopping on us, it's cool pulling a scholly on a player that we no longer have a chancee of landing. I'm talking about a situation where we have offered a player, and he verbally commits, but for some reason or another, we pull his scholly. So if I'm a student athlete, and I'm all set to go to a university for four years, ready to work my tail off to keep my scholly for all four years, and all of a sudden the university I play for takes away my scholarship. Because the old head coach snorted a few lines? Where's the justice in that?

I know it happens all the time, and that we can't please anybody, but it freaking sucks.
Posted On: Jan 22nd 2014, 2:51 PM #326846

+1….It makes it really hard on that entire family..
Back to the top

Posted On: Jan 22nd 2014, 2:51 PM #326846

What you are talking and what Rick and I are talking about are two different things
Back to the top

I think a lot of you miss the big picture.

First off it is not cool to pull a scholly from a kid. It is fine to dump him if he is fooling around on you with another team but recruiting is a crap shoot. If you do not stick with the kids you recruited word will get around. I'm not talking about problem players etc… I'm talking about guys who did not pan out. If you do that you will make it harder than ever to get guys to commit to your program from camps. The team has 85 schollys. These kids only have the one they get. They have all kinds of online sources to yell foul. How many HS coaches will trust you with there kids if you do that to them. Eating a few players is much more preferrable to having a bad reputation.
Back to the top

Dropping kids goes against everything CP has stated he is about.  Its a ridiculous suggestion.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

walty12 said

Dropping kids goes against everything CP has stated he is about.  Its a ridiculous suggestion.
Posted On: Jan 27th 2014, 10:15 AM #327064

This.
Back to the top
Control functions: