Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

2014 Scholarship Count and Signing Day Target

Add topic

PensaFL_sun said

I think a lot of you miss the big picture.

First off it is not cool to pull a scholly from a kid. It is fine to dump him if he is fooling around on you with another team but recruiting is a crap shoot. If you do not stick with the kids you recruited word will get around. I'm not talking about problem players etc… I'm talking about guys who did not pan out. If you do that you will make it harder than ever to get guys to commit to your program from camps. The team has 85 schollys. These kids only have the one they get. They have all kinds of online sources to yell foul. How many HS coaches will trust you with there kids if you do that to them. Eating a few players is much more preferrable to having a bad reputation.
Posted On: Jan 27th 2014, 10:03 AM #327061

walty12 said

Dropping kids goes against everything CP has stated he is about.  Its a ridiculous suggestion.
Posted On: Jan 27th 2014, 10:15 AM #327064

owl2Doc said

walty12 said

Dropping kids goes against everything CP has stated he is about.  Its a ridiculous suggestion.

This.
Posted On: Jan 27th 2014, 1:38 PM #327070

I'm confused as to who suggested we should pull scholarships?
Back to the top

Dropping is one thing but grayshirting is another option all top programs use. Either for grade issues or body development issues. Of course they will count towrds next year if they stick around with the program.
Back to the top

owlmart said

PensaFL_sun said

First off it is not cool to pull a scholly from a kid. It is fine to dump him if he is fooling around on you with another team but recruiting is a crap shoot. If you do not stick with the kids you recruited word will get around. I'm not talking about problem players etc… I'm talking about guys who did not pan out. If you do that you will make it harder than ever to get guys to commit to your program from camps. The team has 85 schollys. These kids only have the one they get. They have all kinds of online sources to yell foul. How many HS coaches will trust you with there kids if you do that to them. Eating a few players is much more preferrable to having a bad reputation.

walty12 said

owl2Doc said

walty12 said

This.
Posted On: Jan 27th 2014, 1:46 PM #327073
I thought you did….:Thinking:

"I'd imagine he will get rid of some of the current players that he inherited to sign 7 or 8 more of his own players".

Im not sure what else you could have meant here…

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

walty12 said

owlmart said

PensaFL_sun said

walty12 said

owl2Doc said

walty12 said

This.
Posted On: Jan 27th 2014, 1:46 PM #327073
I thought you did….

"I'd imagine he will get rid of some of the current players that he inherited to sign 7 or 8 more of his own players".

Im not sure what else you could have meant here…
Posted On: Jan 27th 2014, 8:58 PM #327116

We have 85 scholarships, with the players coach has added we are already over 85, this means some of the players that were on the team last year will not be on the team next year (hence "get rid of current players")
Back to the top

I dont know that to be fact, however if CP takes kids off scholarship that have committed to and play for this program I do not agree with that in any way.

I watched him preach family feel at FAU and tell HS coaches around the area "send your kids to me, I will make sure they are treated well"….I personally dont think the practice of pulling scholarships from kids that have committed to our program aligns with his preaching.  I think CP committing to what he said in his press conference is more important than the commitment of any kid in this class.

Back to the top

walty12 said

I dont know that to be fact, however if CP takes kids off scholarship that have committed to and play for this program I do not agree with that in any way.

I watched him preach family feel at FAU and tell HS coaches around the area "send your kids to me, I will make sure they are treated well"….I personally dont think the practice of pulling scholarships from kids that have committed to our program aligns with his preaching.  I think CP committing to what he said in his press conference is more important than the commitment of any kid in this class.
Posted On: Jan 27th 2014, 9:10 PM #327126

It is on the first page!

and how is this pulling scholarships? As already discussed scholarships are a yearly thing not a 4-5 year guarantee… I mean what did you think would happen? Please give me 1 example of a new coach taking over and 0 attrition happens.  Their isn't one player on the team that Coach P recruited what makes you thing he would keep them all?
Back to the top

I agree here, there will be some "attrition" with any new HC as players feel they no longer fit a new style of play, and I suspect a few will also be asked to grayshirt. He is from Big10 ansd SEC roots, and beleive me, they know how to manage thier rosters and stay within the 85 scholly limit. I would not be surprised to hear of at least "a few" (up to 5) more verbals before signing day.
Back to the top

owlmart said

walty12 said

Posted On: Jan 27th 2014, 9:10 PM #327126

It is on the first page!

and how is this pulling scholarships? As already discussed scholarships are a yearly thing not a 4-5 year guarantee… I mean what did you think would happen? Please give me 1 example of a new coach taking over and 0 attrition happens.  Their isn't one player on the team that Coach P recruited what makes you thing he would keep them all?
Posted On: Jan 27th 2014, 9:17 PM #327129

I would think a kid being on scholarship for his entire 4-5 years is relatively implied.  I would imagine over 95% of players that sign a LOI and dont get kicked out for grades or behavior stay on scholly for the entirety of their 4-5 years.

We need to build a reputation and relationships with coaches around the state…the feeling of "send us your kid, however if we find another down the line we will pull his scholarship and good luck".  Thats not the way you earn the trust of high school coaches and future players…its bad business, I dont care if its been done before or not.

By the way, why are you asking "who is suggesting we pull scholarships" when you obviously know you did?

Back to the top

Walty12, I know this doesn't mean much, but I do view you as a genuinely good poster, you are one of the few passionates of the football program.  While I do not always agree with you, I can always tell where you are coming from.  With that being said I have no clue where you get the idea that no players will be let go.  Imagine how far back we would be if Pelini did renew everyones scholarship and was handcuffed by how many players he could bring in.  Do you think Kooi or his high school coaches were upset? He was either going to be our 3rd string QB for his senior season or go somewhere else and start, I like to think this worked out great for all parties.  It is simple math, we just can't keep everyone.
Back to the top

owlmart said

Walty12, I know this doesn't mean much, but I do view you as a genuinely good poster, you are one of the few passionates of the football program.  While I do not always agree with you, I can always tell where you are coming from.  With that being said I have no clue where you get the idea that no players will be let go.  Imagine how far back we would be if Pelini did renew everyones scholarship and was handcuffed by how many players he could bring in.  Do you think Kooi or his high school coaches were upset? He was either going to be our 3rd string QB for his senior season or go somewhere else and start, I like to think this worked out great for all parties.  It is simple math, we just can't keep everyone.
Posted On: Jan 28th 2014, 8:55 AM #327141

I appreciate that, thank you.

My point is, while the Kooi reference is a good example (I think he was a problem off the field however)…I dont like the thought of a cut-throat pull your scholarship program.  If Partraige is going to sell the idea of a family feel at FAU and sell the highschool coaches that we'll treat their players great if they come to FAU he better start that notion with the players currently in our "family".

We are not changing our offensive scheme, so I cant imagine a reason to rid our family of any of the QB's currently on the roster.

I just think when a kid commits to our football program, our family….we need to commit back.  Just because you can pull a scholarship away from a kid…doesn't make it the right thing to do.  If the kid is dedicated and works hard, I am 1000% against the notion of taking his scholarship away.  Just how I feel.

Back to the top
Control functions: