Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

2022 FAU Football Recruiting Discussion

Add topic

LawOwl said

Maybe this is the new reality for G5 football with the transfer portal in place. Just get as many transfers from P5s as possible and hope they work out instead of building a program. I give Partridge a lot of crap but that’s one thing he did right 
Posted On: Dec 7th 2021, 8:26 PM #405837

Because of Covid and 2020, not counting as a year of eligibility, most of FAU's roster still have three or more years left of eligibility; you still have tons of developmental guys.

I can say with great confidence the goal in future years is mostly HS players and picking and choosing your portal/juco guys.

There are already two high school players already committed to the class of 2023.

Let's also remember that due to covid, so many transfers have 3-4 years left. Many of the players who will be on campus this weekend fall into that category. Essentially you are getting a player that has two years in college about the same amount of eligibility as a high school player.

Can Taggart win more games next season? I do not know, but the program as a whole is pretty healthy and there are plenty of good young players.

Group of five football is very volatile and very small swings can be the difference between 5-7 and 9-3.
Back to the top

If the walk-on is Weber, he was a scholarship player and starter when the current arrived. He counts in the overall argument that the cupboard wasn’t bare. I don’t know where that argument came from and why people have made it. FIU has a bare cupboard. 

We knew at this time two years ago that FAU had plenty to address in 19-20 cycle (primarily DL and WR) and that’s not even factoring in QB. But I disagree with the idea that has been on social media that those holes are what has FAU 10-11 the last two years. It reads off like an excuse to not hold others accountable. 

I agree we shouldn’t have been in the Chaz Neal spot (I am never in favor of heavily relying on summer arrivals to play a significant role if it can be avoided) but he also underperformed all year. The offensive line was a disappointment. Owls won both games with Etienne at LT but then subbed Marquice Robinson (who has a history of inconsistency and bad lows) back in and lost the final four games he started. 

The reality is what I said. FAU is 10-11 in the last two years and they did not win with a good chunk of Kiffin’s kids for various reasons. Some of it is COVID, some of it is injuries, some of it is as simple as kids didn’t fit the current scheme. If we both want FAU to win next year then we are in the same boat. 

Twitter: @JakeElman97
Back to the top

JakeElman said

Shane Marinelli OC40 said

I like to prove my points with numbers and facts and if you think there is a ''personal grievance,'' please provide counter data as I would be interested in seeing it.  The numbers say Kiffin classes had some great short-term players but overwhelmingly missed.

A single high school offensive player from three classes between (2017-2019) played more than 200 snaps in 2021.

Lane also was not here for the "transfer portal era,'' the transfer rule where players did not have to sit out did not start until last year.

Even in your argument, you named a punter and a walk-on; the others were all defensive guys…. the defense was not the issue this season.

Let's look at the Qb commits… Littlejohn (back up DB) Posey (WR) Anthony Romph (never signed and now back up DB at Purdue).

Why were we even in a position heading into 2021 where Chaz Neal, who enrolled just before camp, won the RT spot?

I agree that the 2020 transfers under Taggart were mostly missies, but transition years have been a struggle since the early period started.

The good news is the early returns from the high school players from the 2020 and 2021 classes are strong. Eight high school players from those classes started at least one game this season compared to six players from 2018-2019

Evan Anderson, Dacaous Hawthorne, Jaden Wheeler, Courtney McBride, and Malon Krakue have been productive.

Guys like Mobley, Jahamal Edrine and, Jayden Williams also have shown small flashes this season.

The 2021 transfers were also more productive than the year before.

JakeElman said

faufan2017 said

I disagree about Kiffin not leaving anyone behind for WT's group. We did lose a lot on offense but we returned so many playmakers on defense. WT had the opportunity to recruit 30 players his first season, and a good coach would have filled in deficiencies on our offense. Most of his players from 2020 did not work out..

He's just a few of the players that stand out:
Special Teams: NFL quality punter in Matt Hayball
Defense: Zyon Gilbert, John Mitchell, Romain Mungin, Ahman Ross, Leighton McCarthy, Teja Young, Chase Lasater, Caliph Brice
Offense: Lajohntay Wester, Brandon Robison, BJ Emmons
Posted On: Dec 7th 2021, 2:26 PM #405831

I have never understood the argument that Kiffin and his staff left nothing behind. It seems like the people who spread it either have a personal greviance with the previous regime or want to blame them for the offensive struggles over the last two years. 

Not going to pretend Kiffin’s classes were all hits. He reached on kids who had academic issues and never qualified. He reached on a few kids who haven’t seen the field too often or at all. Some guys left after a season which in the transfer portal era is normal. 

But the argument that’s been created that the current staff inherited NOTHING is silly. Smoke Mungin has looked like an elite CB at times. Lasater was great in 2020. Nick Weber played fine at center and I don’t think he missed a start from 2020-21 unless he missed one for COVID. Hayball’s been a steady all-conference punter. Joyner had a great 2020 and thrived in Leavitt’s scheme. Teja Young looks like the real deal. Caliph Brice played great when healthy. 

Here’s the reality. This is the third signing class under the current group. The majority of the starters next year will be players this current group brought in. They did not win with the players Kiffin’s staff left behind, a good amount of whom contributed to the 2017 and/or 2019 title teams. Now they need to win with their players. Let’s hope they can because I want to watch FAU win a C-USA title in 2022 and an AAC title in 2023. 
Posted On: Dec 7th 2021, 3:32 PM #405833

Posted On: Dec 9th 2021, 12:12 PM #405865

If the walk-on is Weber, he was a scholarship player and starter when the current arrived. He counts in the overall argument that the cupboard wasn’t bare. I don’t know where that argument came from and why people have made it. FIU has a bare cupboard. 

We knew at this time two years ago that FAU had plenty to address in 19-20 cycle (primarily DL and WR) and that’s not even factoring in QB. But I disagree with the idea that has been on social media that those holes are what has FAU 10-11 the last two years. It reads off like an excuse to not hold others accountable. 

I agree we shouldn’t have been in the Chaz Neal spot (I am never in favor of heavily relying on summer arrivals to play a significant role if it can be avoided) but he also underperformed all year. The offensive line was a disappointment. Owls won both games with Etienne at LT but then subbed Marquice Robinson (who has a history of inconsistency and bad lows) back in and lost the final four games he started. 

The reality is what I said. FAU is 10-11 in the last two years and they did not win with a good chunk of Kiffin’s kids for various reasons. Some of it is COVID, some of it is injuries, some of it is as simple as kids didn’t fit the current scheme. If we both want FAU to win next year then we are in the same boat. 
Posted On: Dec 9th 2021, 12:33 PM #405868

Name a single position we were more talented at in 2021 compared to 2019 or 2017. Maybe interior DL?

We should be leaning on 2018-2019 players right now.

Is that an excuse for everything that is happened? No. Does that mean some talent will be injected this offseason, and it will be fixed? Who knows.

The whole point of the original post was to point out to the average FAU fan was Taggart was not left with some 11-3 team. Not even close. Kiffin was and is a great coach but had some flaws in his game that are hurting the regime now and how FAU fans and administration should view hires moving forward. The answer to future coaching searches should not only be does be XY and Z have a fun offense and not consider how they would approach recruiting, or FAU will always be stuck in a cycle of up and down.

Back to the top

JakeElman said

I like to prove my points with numbers and facts and if you think there is a ''personal grievance,'' please provide counter data as I would be interested in seeing it.  The numbers say Kiffin classes had some great short-term players but overwhelmingly missed.

A single high school offensive player from three classes between (2017-2019) played more than 200 snaps in 2021.

Lane also was not here for the "transfer portal era,'' the transfer rule where players did not have to sit out did not start until last year.

Even in your argument, you named a punter and a walk-on; the others were all defensive guys…. the defense was not the issue this season.

Let's look at the Qb commits… Littlejohn (back up DB) Posey (WR) Anthony Romph (never signed and now back up DB at Purdue).

Why were we even in a position heading into 2021 where Chaz Neal, who enrolled just before camp, won the RT spot?

I agree that the 2020 transfers under Taggart were mostly missies, but transition years have been a struggle since the early period started.

The good news is the early returns from the high school players from the 2020 and 2021 classes are strong. Eight high school players from those classes started at least one game this season compared to six players from 2018-2019

Evan Anderson, Dacaous Hawthorne, Jaden Wheeler, Courtney McBride, and Malon Krakue have been productive.

Guys like Mobley, Jahamal Edrine and, Jayden Williams also have shown small flashes this season.

JakeElman said

faufan2017 said

I disagree about Kiffin not leaving anyone behind for WT's group. We did lose a lot on offense but we returned so many playmakers on defense. WT had the opportunity to recruit 30 players his first season, and a good coach would have filled in deficiencies on our offense. Most of his players from 2020 did not work out..

Defense: Zyon Gilbert, John Mitchell, Romain Mungin, Ahman Ross, Leighton McCarthy, Teja Young, Chase Lasater, Caliph Brice

I have never understood the argument that Kiffin and his staff left nothing behind. It seems like the people who spread it either have a personal greviance with the previous regime or want to blame them for the offensive struggles over the last two years. 

Not going to pretend Kiffin’s classes were all hits. He reached on kids who had academic issues and never qualified. He reached on a few kids who haven’t seen the field too often or at all. Some guys left after a season which in the transfer portal era is normal. 

But the argument that’s been created that the current staff inherited NOTHING is silly. Smoke Mungin has looked like an elite CB at times. Lasater was great in 2020. Nick Weber played fine at center and I don’t think he missed a start from 2020-21 unless he missed one for COVID. Hayball’s been a steady all-conference punter. Joyner had a great 2020 and thrived in Leavitt’s scheme. Teja Young looks like the real deal. Caliph Brice played great when healthy. 

Here’s the reality. This is the third signing class under the current group. The majority of the starters next year will be players this current group brought in. They did not win with the players Kiffin’s staff left behind, a good amount of whom contributed to the 2017 and/or 2019 title teams. Now they need to win with their players. Let’s hope they can because I want to watch FAU win a C-USA title in 2022 and an AAC title in 2023. 

Name a single position we were more talented at in 2021 compared to 2019 or 2017. Maybe interior DL?

Is that an excuse for everything that is happened? No. Does that mean some talent will be injected this offseason, and it will be fixed? Who knows.

The whole point of the original post was to point out to the average FAU fan was Taggart was not left with some 11-3 team. Not even close. Kiffin was and is a great coach but had some flaws in his game that are hurting the regime now and how FAU fans and administration should view hires moving forward. The answer to future coaching searches should not only be does be XY and Z have a fun offense and not consider how they would approach recruiting, or FAU will always be stuck in a cycle of up and down.

Posted On: Dec 10th 2021, 6:53 AM #405872

I think we saw FAU try leaning more on 2018-19 players in 2020 rather than this year. Joyner played significantly better (and it felt like more) in Leavitt’s scheme. Mungin played great outside of his drops. Teja Young became a starter and ran with it. When they gave Malcolm the ball, he made the most of things. Maranges started most of the year at RG. (And given how many o-linemen had COVID, maybe there’s a mulligan there.)

So what changed this past year? Was it scheme? Was it injuries? Why were Larry and Malcom non-factors at RB? Why did it take so long for Mungin to get back on the field? I thought he was great down the stretch. 

And as for position groups, there might be an argument that the starting secondary this year was better without being more talented than in 2019? The offensive line had more talent based on stars and where they came from. 

I agree that in theory, they should have leaned heavily on 2018-19 players. However, I don’t know if things are the same on that front in 2021 as it was in, say, 2015. Not with how teams have built through the portal especially if they know they have depth problems. Look at Michigan State. 

Back to the top

JakeElman said

JakeElman said

JakeElman said

faufan2017 said

I think we saw FAU try leaning more on 2018-19 players in 2020 rather than this year. Joyner played significantly better (and it felt like more) in Leavitt’s scheme. Mungin played great outside of his drops. Teja Young became a starter and ran with it. When they gave Malcolm the ball, he made the most of things. Maranges started most of the year at RG. (And given how many o-linemen had COVID, maybe there’s a mulligan there.)

So what changed this past year? Was it scheme? Was it injuries? Why were Larry and Malcom non-factors at RB? Why did it take so long for Mungin to get back on the field? I thought he was great down the stretch. 

And as for position groups, there might be an argument that the starting secondary this year was better without being more talented than in 2019? The offensive line had more talent based on stars and where they came from. 

I agree that in theory, they should have leaned heavily on 2018-19 players. However, I don’t know if things are the same on that front in 2021 as it was in, say, 2015. Not with how teams have built through the portal especially if they know they have depth problems. Look at Michigan State. 

Posted On: Dec 10th 2021, 7:24 AM #405874

Larry and Malcolm have trouble staying healthy. Larry has missed around 20 games in three seasons, and Malcolm has had his fair share of knicks and bumps. Down the stretch this season, they both were dealing with other nagging injuries limiting practice. And when they were in, both were under 4.5 yards a carry. I love Larry's talent, but I am beginning to wonder if he is a "what could have been story.''

Joyner had help in 2020, with McCarthey coming off the edge. The inside of FAU's dline was strong, but the edge position struggled. Chase did not have the length for it, and promising freshmen Country McBride got hurt right as he was starting to show some flashes.

Mungin does everything he can for his size and is always in a great position to make plays, but teams picked on him down the stretch.

In the UTEP, Marshall, and ODU games, Mungin allowed 19 catches on 33 targets for 330 yards.

As for 2019 vs. 2021 secondary they are very close, but James Pierre ends that discussion. Teams flat did not throw at him.

Back to the top

JakeElman said

JakeElman said

JakeElman said

faufan2017 said

Posted On: Dec 10th 2021, 7:24 AM #405874

Larry and Malcolm have trouble staying healthy. Larry has missed around 20 games in three seasons, and Malcolm has had his fair share of knicks and bumps. Down the stretch this season, they both were dealing with other nagging injuries limiting practice. And when they were in, both were under 4.5 yards a carry. I love Larry's talent, but I am beginning to wonder if he is a "what could have been story.''

Joyner had help in 2020, with McCarthey coming off the edge. The inside of FAU's dline was strong, but the edge position struggled. Chase did not have the length for it, and promising freshmen Country McBride got hurt right as he was starting to show some flashes.

Mungin does everything he can for his size and is always in a great position to make plays, but teams picked on him down the stretch.

In the UTEP, Marshall, and ODU games, Mungin allowed 19 catches on 33 targets for 330 yards.

As for 2019 vs. 2021 secondary they are very close, but James Pierre ends that discussion. Teams flat did not throw at him.

Posted On: Dec 10th 2021, 11:39 AM #405876

All fair points. So Larry and Malcolm were banged up in the final month? That clears up a question I know and others had, especially during the MTSU game. 

I like McBride. I want to see who are options at MLB last year, especially with Leroy/Lasater gone and Moultrie’s struggles this year. Hindsight is I wouldn’t have moved Lasater from Mike but that’s hindsight. 

Back to the top

When I'm not in school, I'm schooling the CUSA Twitter game; Follow Me Here
Back to the top

Are we doing that fun, live-tracking thing tomorrow? Or is it just those couple of freshmen we already know about (but I mean, it's those other two freshmen too, right??)? Leaning LB heavy so far (in transfers), makes sense, I'd think. But we need a few other pieces for plug and play. This whole thing was more exciting when it was just the one day, but what are you gonna do, am I right?
Back to the top

Yea I'm a little puzzled by our incoming class of transfers. With how our offense has been performing, I expected us to fill the class with a lot of high impact players on offense.
Back to the top

Art Vandelay said

Are we doing that fun, live-tracking thing tomorrow? Or is it just those couple of freshmen we already know about (but I mean, it's those other two freshmen too, right??)? Leaning LB heavy so far (in transfers), makes sense, I'd think. But we need a few other pieces for plug and play. This whole thing was more exciting when it was just the one day, but what are you gonna do, am I right?
Posted On: Dec 14th 2021, 9:58 PM #405929

No, yes, and yes.

News travels differently these days and we basically already know "everything".

QB will be coming, but not tomorrow (from what we know).

All grey shirts are signed (LOI) and will enroll in January.

The high school names for tomorrow include the two we have, plus possible addition of Jaylin Lucas.

The transfers will sign GIA's tomorrow to make it "official"

"Possibly" another name we don't know about, but not necessarily counting on it.

If so, bonus.
Back to the top
Control functions: