Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU Class of 2019 Recruiting Discussion

Add topic

yeah FAU should look pretty appealing compared to the rest of the conference from a location/facilites/coaching/academia. I think that the previous coaching staff did a really good job and there is no reason a coach with the brand power of a Kiffin should be doing any worse. The JUCOs are a mixed bag and there is a reason that other schools aren’t just banking on transfers. It’s not like basketball where skills can translate to different systems and levels of competition more easily. 
Back to the top

illinoisowl said

I wish Kiffin would send someone up to scout this kid that is a grandson of friends of mine. He is in contention for USA Today Midwestern Player of the Year. He goes to a small Catholic School (2A) here in Decatur. As a running back he has 36 rushing TDs and 3 receiving TDs. He also plays safety. The Kid is all over the news up here. I think the only reason he is 3* is because of the small school he goes to.
All I can do is mention FAU and brag a bit. I'm not a recruiter.

Lane, if you are watching, look at this. He might be leaning to Iowa. He isn't committed yet. I think he's a good student.

Jacardia Wright, 2019 Athlete - Rivals.com
Posted On: Oct 23rd 2018, 1:20 PM #382372

He looks good but also looks like he ids playing JV team, they are small and slow and can't tackle! The dangers of recruiting from small schools, but that does not mean he does not have talent.
Back to the top

Nearly all Power 5 sign 4 to 5 JUCOS (some many more!) every year, but higher rated than ours as usual!

JUCOS no more risk than a HS recruit but more IS expected of them!
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

Nearly all Power 5 sign 4 to 5 JUCOS (some many more!) every year, but higher rated than ours as usual!

JUCOS no more risk than a HS recruit but more IS expected of them!
Posted On: Oct 24th 2018, 12:42 PM #382399
Can you stop making up stats?

Last year 249 JUCO's player sighed and about 1/2 of that went to G5.

Only 4 power 5 schools signed more than  4 and 3 of those Neb, Tenn, and KU all were horrible rebuilds.

Now lets look at Lanes JUCO's

2017 Joey Palmer- No grades
2017 Carson Lyndon- No grades
2017 Rodney Washington No Grades
2017 De'Andre Johnsonn -Back up QB
2017 D'Anfernee McGriff- One Career TD
2017 De'Andre McNeal one Careeer TD 8 catches
2017 Tom Boner Solid rotantional DL
2017 Earnest Banger 2 career sacks
2017 Tyrek Tysdal

2018-BJ Emmons-No grades
2018-Nero Nelson - Quit team after a week
2018 Deshaun Holmes- 1-2 grabs this year I think
2018 Charles Camron- Tried to quit the team now a back up DL
2018 Marcell Southhall- Rotational  DL
2018 Zack Bennett- behind a walk on at RG
2018 Noah Jefferson- Back up DL
2018 Meiko Dotson- Hurt

So out of 16 EDIT 17* JUCO commits not a single legit starter! Not a single effin one.

Maybe a couple of these DL who rotational guys keep growing and start next year, but jeesh

This is why I hate taken JUCO's.  They are not the same risk as high school kids .

You need to fill a weak spot get a GT.
Back to the top

owlcountry40 said

2017 Earnest Banger 2 career sacks

2018 Deshaun Holmes- 1-2 grabs this year I think

Posted On: Oct 24th 2018, 1:49 PM #382402

Bagner is 10th on the team in tackles with 18 this season, and has the 2nd most on the DL…he is 2nd on the team behind on Rashad Smith in TFL with 4.0…so he is more valuable than presented.

Holmes has 4 catches, but agree on him, definitely not used as much as it seemed he would be…strange.

Overall though, yeah we haven't really hit pay dirt on our JUCO guys.
Back to the top

Yeah I don’t think the top programs invest much into juco. And in hindsight even if FAU was looking for a quick fix pretty much none of those guys have provided one. The best guys on the team are the guys who were already here. 

I don’t want to be “the grass is always greener” guy but fiu has been doing a good job of getting local high school guys and a couple of surprisingly highly rated juco linemen. I don’t want our coaches to neglect the local schools. 
Back to the top

You "plug in" JUCOs and Grad Transfers to either win right now, or because your program is way down and new coaches came in who simply want to get enough players on the field to be competitive.  You build programs long-term through recruiting high school kids and molding them into your schemes and way of doing things.
Back to the top

If you have a coaching staff that has the intention of staying. Right now, Diaz, Durante are the only hits.. The rest all seem to be misses. Robison will be good next season and great after that. I'm glad I'm not a college football coach. I have high hopes for Friday night . But I would not at all be shocked if we end Friday night shaking our heads.
Back to the top

Here’s the truth of the matter.  Recruiting HS kids is much harder.  Takes a ton of time and effort.  The type of time and effort you only put in if you’re passionate about building the program you’re at.  I look at it this way - recruiting HS kids is like selling organically and transfers/JUCO/etc is like purchasing a company to grow.  One takes daily discipline and hard work…the other you just cut a check and hope the accounts are decent.  

Lane once went on about how Saban outworked every other coach to recruit the best players.  That every moment was about recruiting outside of normal football operations.  

I’ve been told Lane has a more Howard S approach to recruiting, keep it hush until the final minute.

I will rehash this post in a few years but my gut tells me…we’re not putting in the work.  Charlie and Co outrecruited this staff 10 fold.  When Lane leaves, I’m going to appreciative of the time he was here.  But I don’t see him leaving things from a roster/talent perspective better than he found it and that concerns me.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

walty12 said

Here’s the truth of the matter.  Recruiting HS kids is much harder.  Takes a ton of time and effort.  The type of time and effort you only put in if you’re passionate about building the program you’re at.  I look at it this way - recruiting HS kids is like selling organically and transfers/JUCO/etc is like purchasing a company to grow.  One takes daily discipline and hard work…the other you just cut a check and hope the accounts are decent.  

Lane once went on about how Saban outworked every other coach to recruit the best players.  That every moment was about recruiting outside of normal football operations.  

I’ve been told Lane has a more Howard S approach to recruiting, keep it hush until the final minute.

I will rehash this post in a few years but my gut tells me…we’re not putting in the work.  Charlie and Co outrecruited this staff 10 fold.  When Lane leaves, I’m going to appreciative of the time he was here.  But I don’t see him leaving things from a roster/talent perspective better than he found it and that concerns me.
Posted On: Oct 25th 2018, 10:32 AM #382418

Agreed, and this is one of the elephants in the room not being addressed. This year's class will be very telling to me. Obviously it's early, but I'm not seeing the recruiting results I'd expect with Lane Kiffin here, at least judging from last year's class and what we are doing early for next year's class. The JUCO reliance blew up in our face.
Back to the top
Control functions: