Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU Football Class of 2018 General Discussion

Add topic

I think we have only signed 5 players and not 14 - nothing is official except early signing day and the JUCOs who can sign.  Three of the five were JUCOs, while many of the other schools we compete against had many more early signees and a lot of them were high school players (most of those schools already have the majority of their classes and will only sign a few guys this week based on the ones who didn't get what they wanted or they fill needs with the transfer-type guys).  I am not complaining about the level of football player we are getting, but I am saying the way to build a long-term program is to have a strong recruiting pipeline with high school players and fill the needs with the transfers.

Maybe the conference championship and bowl game threw us off with the new early signing period, but it didn't seem to effect the other schools as much as us (many who also played in bowls).  I hope it is way overblown and we get all kinds of guys this week.  We will see in a couple of days, but I think the majority of us thought we would blow the recruiting out of the water with Kiffin as coach coming off an 11-3 season.  If we land all the guys on our current list and have a few more surprises, and if there are only 5 or 6 transfers and 14 or 15 high schoolers, then I will agree it is overblown and we are thinking long-term.  But if we have a class of say 16 and 7 or 8 are transfers that will seem a bit disproportionate to me.  Guess we will see come Wednesday.
Back to the top

Here’s what I think most are saying…

Looking at the top 25 Dade, Broward and Palm Beach HS kids.

How many commits do we have from that list?  Why aren’t we making strides in that area?

Our success on the field this year and the attention Lane has received hasn’t really translated into recruiting wins.  It almost feels that we lost the recruiting momentum from a local standpoint Charlie gained when here.

Don’t get me wrong, I like winning on the field more.  This issue is kind of like the attendance at the CUSA championship game…not the end of the world, but makes me scratch my head.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

It’s been 1 year and we are supposed to get top 25 south Florida?  In 2016 two top 50 in Florida went to non P5 schools, TOP 50!  I love drinkin the Kool aid as much as the next guy but c’mon man let’s be a bit realistic.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

dusky256fc said

It’s been 1 year and we are supposed to get top 25 south Florida?  In 2016 two top 50 in Florida went to non P5 schools, TOP 50!  I love drinkin the Kool aid as much as the next guy but c’mon man let’s be a bit realistic.

Posted On: Feb 5th 2018, 9:49 PM #376927

I’m talking the top 25 for each county.  So, top 75 recruits in S FLA.  

Yes, I believe they should be considering us and we sign 5-7 per year out of this group.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

I don't know why we didn't get more great HS talent this class. I'd love to know the reason. Even being a kool aid drinker I just thought we'd kill it. I kept waiting for that can't miss 4 star 6'3 250 linebacker lol.
Back to the top

This is what I was talking about. Howard and Charlie knew the importance of the tri county recruiting. Just a gut feeling that Lane is doing something different. We will see. Granted, we have some very good HS commitments. But on a different thread we were complaining about a lack of local news coverage. The recruiting section of those papers talk about local kids going to other schools. Hey, we'll see,I could be off base.
Back to the top

Plus, the Florida programs have been losing recruits for years to the SEC and Big 10. Even UM, UF, and FSU have been losing their top recruits to other schools. Bama has a couple guys from South Florida, UGA took three guys from Miami Norland and Northwestern. South Florida is one of the heavily recruited states for the entire nation. And more guys are leaving for Wisconsin since they were being recruited by Scott Frost.

We do need to build a good relationship with the tricounty area, but it's probably the toughest area to recruit in the nation. S of course we're going to lose guys to other bigger P5 schools, and even G5 schools. I know that some of us think that we're the hottest G5 program right now, but one winning season with a coach known for being a nomad isn't going to sell the majority of good HS players looking for stability and the chance to win. That's why the next AD is going to be so important - we need to get the facilities funded, the stadium naming rights sold, so that we can hire a quality coach once Kiff is ready to move on, which he will be.
Back to the top

jgf2017 said

I don't know why we didn't get more great HS talent this class. I'd love to know the reason. Even being a kool aid drinker I just thought we'd kill it. I kept waiting for that can't miss 4 star 6'3 250 linebacker lol.
Posted On: Feb 5th 2018, 10:17 PM #376930

Those can't miss 4* guys are going to UGA, Bama, Ohio State, Michigan, FSU, and UF. We're looking to get those can't-miss 3* and 2* guys.

Although to your point, FIU did pull in some 4* guys, but they were JUCO guys.
Back to the top

FAU has really tried to get some local kids, but its hard to compete with the kids when they all have major offers.

FAU made a big push for guys like Bryce Oliver and Stanley Gardner, but they both ended up at UK.

2018 Top Florida Football Recruits

Herer is top 400 kids in the state of Florida see how far you have to scroll down to find a kid without a P5 offer.
Back to the top

Cardarius Gaskin, at 117 is the first one I saw that was offered by G5 school - Kent State and FAU. He's a 3* WR, and we have 11 WR's on the roster. He still has offers from several P5 schools.
Back to the top
Control functions: