Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Grading the 2010 Recruiting Classes...Owls not looking good...

Add topic

Re: Grading the 2010 Recruiting Classes...Owls not looking good...

Grading the 2010 Recruiting Classes...Owls not looking good...

Schnelly said

Dorvilus will definately be a bigger contributor IMO

Let's hope so. Jason Harmon's shoes are big shoes to fill.

Housler's great and I'm glad he redshirted but he can be streaky. He'll drop three straight passes and then suddenly on the 2 minute drive he'll catch everything.
Back to the top

owlcountry said

Schnelly said

Dorvilus will definately be a bigger contributor IMO

Let's hope so. Jason Harmon's shoes are big shoes to fill.

Housler's great and I'm glad he redshirted but he can be streaky. He'll drop three straight passes and then suddenly on the 2 minute drive he'll catch everything.

Yeah he does have those lapses but you ask any of those coaches, theyll tell ya hes gonna be a millionare in two years. He would dominate by himself on the scout offense … granted the defense… but still.

Definately a promising stable of tightends
Back to the top

I don't believe the "star" recruits are the main objective. I do not believe that the classes that helped win the '07 Sunbelt and the consecutive bowl games had a plethora of big "star" recruits. WE NEED A STADIUM in order to compete in recruiting. Players enjoy Lockhart as much as WE the fans do. The stadium will change the perception of FAU. I feel that FAU is a "fallback" school for several of the players. We need kids who WANT to come to FAU and a stadium will help.
Back to the top

We HAVE TO become their prefered school, not a third choice or worse, their ONLY choice. A LOT of this years recruits were not offered anywhere!
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

We HAVE TO become their prefered school, not a third choice or worse, their ONLY choice. A LOT of this years recruits were not offered anywhere!

Or they were offered by DII programs.
Back to the top

And chose them over us. We can't have that caliber of recruits and hope to beat Troy, let alone Texas for God's sake!
Back to the top

Captain said

when you recruit players at positions you are already stocked up on, the recruits become worthless.

Let's examine our Tight End depth chart as an example:
In 2010, we have five returning TE's and one incoming TE
#81 Rob Housler—– Final season: 2010
#85 Darian Williams– Final season: 2011
#19 Alex Fick——- Final season: 2011
#84 James Oboh—- Final season: 2013
#86 Nexon Dorvilus– Final season: 2013
*** Alex DeLeon—– Final season: 2014

2010: DeLeon is redshirted, doesn't play.
2011: With two Sr. & two Jr. TE's ahead of him, DeLeon rides the bench.
2012: Two starters return, DeLeon goes third on the depth chart.
2013: Two starters return, DeLeon goes third on the depth chart again.
2014: DeLeon finally starts in his last season, that is if we don't recruit someone better over the next four years, that beats him out for the top spot.

Deleon might do just that to one of the players you mentioned…TE is a huge part of our offense we cant bet all of our chips on one player
Back to the top

I think the biggest stumbling block to recruiting is the lack of a stadium.  When players move up from HS to college the facilities are a big part of the sales pitch.  FAU has a coach who's a legend, has won two bowl games in the last three years, doesn't play weak OOC teams and has a beautiful campus.  The new stadium will change things quickly.  Does 2011 still look good for completion?  Also, I guess it doesn't help that most games are on the road.  To build a fan base an on-campus stadium will bring more students and more home games will make attending a more regular outing.  Look at some of the "bigger" programs.  It's not unusual for them to have seven home games!
Back to the top

It will be tough for us to reach seven homes games anytime soon…but completely agree with you that the Stadium, which is well on track for 2011, will change the face of the campus dramatically.

Financial options afforded to the University are looking pretty good right now, and even the most undesirable of those would still have the Owls out of the "sand box" soon enough…

Still have 2010 to deal with though…….
Back to the top

2010 has put the Owls in an unusual position with only four home games, but does gives us a huge upside with the amount of money the program will walk away from the HOME game played at a neutral field in Detroit.  The good thing, we did win in that venue so…..

Right now our fan base growth is what it is, another growing spurt won't happen 'till we get our on-campus stadium, which should provide and increase the level of interest in the program & also help feed the an influx to the fan base.  Right now good things are happening, more students seem to care about their university as a whole and appears more are taking part in university functions.  Fast forward to the completion of the innovation village…campus life should explode.

I think because of the conference we play in it (& Lockfart) will be hard to expect more then 5 to 6 home games, but the on campus stadium should help draw a few more game to Boca with more 1 for 1 or even 2 for 1 from the bigger schools.  I just don't see us having 7 home games anytime soon.
Back to the top
Control functions: