Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

JUCO Signing Day Thread - Wednesday 12/19/12

Add topic

Alright I thought I would get a thread going on here for this Wednesday – national junior college signing day.

What does this mean?

For JUCO prospects wishing to enroll in the spring, this is the first date that they can sign and fax their LOI (letter of intent).

FAU is after a few guys who plan to announce on this day, so I wanted to keep all of that traffic and talk in here.

The list as of now:

Jaquez Johnson
QB
6-1, 210
Starkville, Mississippi

Derek Butcher
DT
6-5, 290
Wahpeton, ND

Braden Lyons
OL
6-5, 290
San Francisco, CA

*D.J. Geroux
S
6-2, 185
Scottsdale, AZ

*Not expected today, and had this to say:

"It's unfortunately not 100% now, but still a possibility."

Back to the top

Re: JUCO Signing Day Thread - Wednesday 12/19/12

Hopefully it's going to be an exciting day!
Back to the top

JUCO Signing Day Thread - Wednesday 12/19/12

I just got done speaking with East Mississippi QB Jaquez Johnson.

He told me that he is fully committed to FAU and will sign on Wednesday at either his school or home.

Coach Pelini visited him last Thursday and he's been in constant contact with offensive coordinator Brian Wright.

Johnson will enroll on January 5th and participate in spring ball.
Back to the top

I was once under the impression that most teams recruit HS kids and build a team by developing young players. This is true for the big boys that can get 4-5 star HSers. A LOT of mid level schools use the juco route to get players. Way more than I first thought. When coach P came in and started talking about juco's, I thought, OK he is looking to get some wins and hopefully move on to a better, bigger job. I was not aware of the importance juco's play. Schnelly never used them, so I assumed few did. I was wrong. The majority of the recruits will be HSers, but the juco's are needed to fix problem areas.
Back to the top

Local said

I was once under the impression that most teams recruit HS kids and build a team by developing young players. This is true for the big boys that can get 4-5 star HSers. A LOT of mid level schools use the juco route to get players. Way more than I first thought. When coach P came in and started talking about juco's, I thought, OK he is looking to get some wins and hopefully move on to a better, bigger job. I was not aware of the importance juco's play. Schnelly never used them, so I assumed few did. I was wrong. The majority of the recruits will be HSers, but the juco's are needed to fix problem areas.
While I agree with local owl, we do need a freshman QB we can redshirt and who can learn the system over the next couple years. Will Jaquez Johnson be able to pick up on the system right away?
Back to the top

Good news is he still has three years of eligibility! IF Melvin qualifies to play we will be dp at the position next year and be able to groom a freshman for the future if we want.
Back to the top

As you can assume, we will be watching Lyons on Wednesday to make sure his LOI gets faxed.

He's signing at his school with a few other offensive lineman that are headed to FBS schools.
Back to the top

I may have missed this, but is Johnson a true dual threat QB?
Back to the top

USMCOWL said

I may have missed this, but is Johnson a true dual threat QB?

Yes he's built like a linebacker, but also can make some tight throws.

Highlights.
Back to the top

I see him starting right away
Back to the top
Control functions: