Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

More Low to No Star Offers for the Owls...

Add topic

Re: More Low to No Star Offers for the Owls...

TeamBeer said

Doherty got a phone call from a coach friend of his to say, no one has seen him but hes special, very special, and Doh took him sight unseen. It worked out very well. When you have those relationships is when you land some great kids, I think Carl will get us there very soon.

Yeah, I seem to recall another one of those in that of Jarvis' tenure:

Nick Gagel.

And, well, we all know how that worked out…….

Just sayin'!

;D
Back to the top

Jarvis must not have as good of a HS coach network  ;D

Jarvis is too old, he's out stayed his welcome!
Back to the top

TeamBeer said

Jarvis is too old, he's out stayed his welcome!

:D
Back to the top

owlcountry40 said

owlmedic said

The players with no stars means they havent been evaluated yet. Watched alot of the players we offered to on youtube and trust me there solid players
 Everyones 2 min highlight tape looks good.

Agreed on this point, I don't even watch them. I could put together a video that made me look like Rob Gronkowski! Our twitter feeds are practically identical
Back to the top

If you look at the Rivals page info below, you will see that FAU has offered 4 star players, but the big boys also did. To me, it looks like they are going after the high star guys, but these players choose the more established programs…our coaching staff can't really help that. At least they offer these caliber guys. Also,according to Rivals.com, FAU has offer extended out to more than 70…yes 70, 3 star players. We just need some of these guys to accept the offers.

DB Marcus Maye                Melbourne, FloridaHoly Trinity 6'1" 195                        4 stars    Florida
OL Jessamen Dunker          Boynton Beach, Florida Boynton Beach 6'6" 315          4 stars    Florida
DE Martin Aiken                Bamberg, South Carolina Bamberg-Ehrhardt 6'3" 245      4 stars    Clemson
OL Ereck Flowers              Miami,Florida Miami Norland 6'6" 305                          4 stars    Miami (FL)
LB Reggie Northrup            Jacksonville, Florida First Coast 6'2" 218                    4 stars    Miami (FL)
TE Kent Taylor                  Land O'Lakes, Florida Land O' Lakes 6'5" 220 N/A        4 stars    Florida

http://rivals.yahoo.com/fau/football/recruiting/recruit-search-results

Go Owls….Fear the STRIX!
Back to the top

Pelini and the DC were just hired, you can't expect the recruiting to improve overnight. The recruiting class next year will be the one to "watch". So I don't think anybody expects a stellar recruiting class this year. Next year, however, we had better start catching up to the FIU's of the world as far as recruiting in our conference.
Back to the top

IMO, the difference between our teams from when we were good, 07-09 and before that, 03-04 and our team is now is the lack of development. For whatever reason, we didn't develop the "diamond in the rough." It was probably because Coach lost his touch and losing Gary Nord was probably a bigger blow than we expected.

Lockhart didn't matter, stars didn't matter, nothing else mattered because we were coaching our players up. I feel like that didn't happen the past few years and I think that is a direct result of HS losing his touch on coaching, maybe there was a disconnect between he and the coaches. I think the earlier players were closer to Coach than the current players.

So the only thing we need to focus on is if our coaches can develop players like we previously did. Rusty didn't become an NFL caliber QB on his own. Our coaches saw the tools and potential and coached him up.

Wilbert is the perfect example of how you can see Coach lost a step in coaching. Rusty and JVC may have not been great out of high school but they had a canon for an arm. Wilbert is slower than dirt and he's got a ridiculously weak arm, what on earth did we see in him??
Back to the top

You can get by with the "diamonds in the rough" once in awhile when the rest of the conference is essentially recruiting the same claliber player. But schools like FIU have been recruiting at a somewhat higher level for a typical Belt school, stealing recruits that would normally go to BSC schools. FIU has been getting a caliber of recruit we have never received. It's not like Mario is a great Xs and Os coach, but they have better athletes than us right now and it is showing on the field.
Back to the top

By my count, Pelini has handed out 13 offers in the past week.

Yes, some of those have been to 2 and no star players, but he has also offered two 3-star offensive lineman, a 3-star defensive lineman and a 3-star safety. He offered a trio of players from Armwood, who is the #2 H.S. team in the nation. He offered a running back from a state championship team and a handful of players who will be playing in the state finals this weekend.

If people are literally going to try and point out the fact that we are going after the same 'diamonds in the rough' as the previous staff, you are wrong. CP literally walked into the job two weeks ago and now has to assemble a class of 25 + plus players. He didn't recruit this area for the Huskers, so how is he suppose to know who to offer and who the prospects in the area are.

Give him a while. I will say this, CP has extended an offer to a 2014 corner and a 2013 athlete. That is something new.
Back to the top

FAU said

If people are literally going to try and point out the fact that we are going after the same 'diamonds in the rough' as the previous staff, you are wrong…

Please read the original post again:

"…the philosophy seems to be partially the same."

(23% partial)

That was the point.

;)

On a side note, where are you coming up with 25+ players? We graduated 17…….

We have five verbals…of course the new staff has to agree to honor them, if the prospects stick - which some will.

Back to the top
Control functions: