Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Star ranking

Add topic

Rick said

Popcorn time again!
Posted On: Sep 23rd 2013, 9:54 AM #318364

Rick, I know my rants are ridiculous, but what's even more ridiculous was the attendance for our home opener in a new conference. Thoughts on this topic?!
Back to the top

Captain Owlmerica said

Rick said

Popcorn time again!

Rick, I know my rants are ridiculous, but what's even more ridiculous was the attendance for our home opener in a new conference. Thoughts on this topic?!
Posted On: Sep 23rd 2013, 10:16 AM #318365

Come on…I know the attendance wasn't great, but can we at least not use a picture from 15 minutes before kickoff?  The teams weren't even on the field in that shot.
Back to the top

Captain Owlmerica said

sigep77 said

Reading comprehension is really not your thing huh?

Ha! I have a reading comprehension problem?! I just asked you a yes or no question, and even reminded you that there is only one of two words you can use to answer the question. Yet you replied with eight sentences and failed to use either of those two words.

Look, none of us run the team or recruit for the Owls. So both our strategies are meaningless. All we can say for sure is that we lost 38 out of our last 52 games, which is a problem. If you want to blame the economy, the coaches, me, the coaching transition, or whatever for this problem. Go ahead. But I am blaming the level of talent we recruit because I see a correlation between the star ranking system and wins/loses.

As for CBboarder- the goal of every FBS team is to win a national championship. Clearly you don't share that mentality. Which is why you'll be happy if we win one more game than last year. While every other team contends for a conference title and a bowl game.

I answered your question.  Nowhere in my OP did I say we should not recruit top talent.  I even led off with stars matter to a degree, so yes, you do have a comprehension problem.

Now you answer a question for me.  What do we have to sell to bring in this top talent?

Tradition of winning?  Nope.
Great facilities?  Nope.
Winning record?  Nope.
Fan support?  Nope.

So, go on and give me ONE good reason why these studs you so dearly want would come here in the last three years?

I'll save everyone the time, you can't.  We need to be patient as CP rebuilds this to the '07 & '08 levels and then move beyond that.  Once we can consistently maintain a winning record, go to a few more bowl games, and get out in the community more, then we can look at going after and hopefully winning some of the recruiting battles of the better kids.
Back to the top

Captain Owlmerica said

Rick said

Popcorn time again!

Posted On: Sep 23rd 2013, 10:16 AM #318365

There were 5K people there at best.

I agree, that was ridiculous…….
Back to the top

I know we don't live in society of patience...everyone wants it NOW whether you are qualified or earned it or not.  But this is what I see 16 games into the Pelini era...a much more entertaining team to watch.  That team will make fans want to come to the stadium.  BUT you have to win.  We let one slip away.

Here's the thing with the "Star" players...they aren't coming!  4 and 5 star players are not going to come here until we show something to them (and I am totally ignoring facility issues that we all know about it).  In order for us to get to where we want to go we have to change the attitude on the inside (well on the way) and change the perception on the outside (in the community, and not from bill boards or bus signs, we need to make headlines in the media because of winning consistently on the field).  We had early success in our program, national semi-final in 2003, quickest to go to a bowl and win a bowl game in 2007 and then won another bowl the following season in 2008.  Nice resume...but as the old saying goes, what have you done for me lately!  Still not bad for a bus on a half tank of gas.

Before the 4 and 5 star players start committing you have to win with the 2 and 3 stars and overlooked players.  A lot of what makes a 4 or 5 star player a 4 or 5 star players is dependent on who is pursuing and offering them scholarships (i.e. the BIG boys).  So...if you are a high school kid who is getting offers from them and then FAU or FIU or any mid-tier team (that's what we are by the way) are you going to announce that?  NO!   You will de-value your star....so maybe we are going after them and we just don't know.

I have been here since the beginning and 2009 - 2011 have been an eternity...I see light at the end of the tunnel.  AND this doesn't mean that I don't demand success on the field, it just means that some times it takes time.  If Pelini was hired in 2009...my opinion would be completely different, but he was hired last year taking over a 1-11 team.
Back to the top

Tim FAU98 said

I know we don't live in society of patience...everyone wants it NOW whether you are qualified or earned it or not.  But this is what I see 16 games into the Pelini era...a much more entertaining team to watch.  That team will make fans want to come to the stadium.  BUT you have to win.  We let one slip away.

Here's the thing with the "Star" players...they aren't coming!  4 and 5 star players are not going to come here until we show something to them (and I am totally ignoring facility issues that we all know about it).  In order for us to get to where we want to go we have to change the attitude on the inside (well on the way) and change the perception on the outside (in the community, and not from bill boards or bus signs, we need to make headlines in the media because of winning consistently on the field).  We had early success in our program, national semi-final in 2003, quickest to go to a bowl and win a bowl game in 2007 and then won another bowl the following season in 2008.  Nice resume...but as the old saying goes, what have you done for me lately!  Still not bad for a bus on a half tank of gas.

Before the 4 and 5 star players start committing you have to win with the 2 and 3 stars and overlooked players.  A lot of what makes a 4 or 5 star player a 4 or 5 star players is dependent on who is pursuing and offering them scholarships (i.e. the BIG boys).  So...if you are a high school kid who is getting offers from them and then FAU or FIU or any mid-tier team (that's what we are by the way) are you going to announce that?  NO!   You will de-value your star....so maybe we are going after them and we just don't know.

I have been here since the beginning and 2009 - 2011 have been an eternity...I see light at the end of the tunnel.  AND this doesn't mean that I don't demand success on the field, it just means that some times it takes time.  If Pelini was hired in 2009...my opinion would be completely different, but he was hired last year taking over a 1-11 team.

Posted On: Sep 23rd 2013, 11:44 AM #318371

^^^^ this ^^^^^
Back to the top

sigep77 said

I answered your question.  Nowhere in my OP did I say we should not recruit top talent.  I even led off with stars matter to a degree, so yes, you do have a comprehension problem.

Now you answer a question for me.  What do we have to sell to bring in this top talent?

Great facilities?  Nope.
Winning record?  Nope.
Fan support?  Nope.

So, go on and give me ONE good reason why these studs you so dearly want would come here in the last three years?

I'll save everyone the time, you can't.  We need to be patient as CP rebuilds this to the '07 & '08 levels and then move beyond that.  Once we can consistently maintain a winning record, go to a few more bowl games, and get out in the community more, then we can look at going after and hopefully winning some of the recruiting battles of the better kids.
Posted On: Sep 23rd 2013, 11:00 AM #318368

Sigepp, I asked you to answer "yes" or "no". Which means, only a one-word response form you is requested. Since you answered back with eight sentences, this proves you have a reading comprehension problem. End of story! This means, that we are done talking about reading comprehension.

Now, your quest was: What do we have to sell to bring in this top talent?

- Location (sunny South Florida, 5 minutes from the beach).
- Playing time (we clearly need a boost in talent, if a recruit is anxious to start playing, they can easily earn a starting role).
- Facilities (one of the nicest & newest stadiums in the nation).

Look, if South Alabama can sign 15 3-star players over three years. We should be able to do the same. What do the Jags have to offer that we don't?
Back to the top

This is GREAT!

BRB, heading to the snack bar for a refill…….
Back to the top

Captain Owlmerica said

Sigepp, I asked you to answer "yes" or "no". Which means, only a one-word response form you is requested.
Posted On: Sep 23rd 2013, 12:18 PM #318374

I think it may be a little unreasonable to request a one word response when you ask a 3 paragraph question….now if you asked him if it was raining right now, I can see you requesting a one word response.
Back to the top

Captain Owlmerica said

sigep77 said

Great facilities?  Nope.
Winning record?  Nope.
Fan support?  Nope.

Posted On: Sep 23rd 2013, 11:00 AM #318368

Sigepp, I asked you to answer "yes" or "no". Which means, only a one-word response form you is requested. Since you answered back with eight sentences, this proves you have a reading comprehension problem. End of story! This means, that we are done talking about reading comprehension.

Now, your quest was: What do we have to sell to bring in this top talent?

- Location (sunny South Florida, 5 minutes from the beach).
- Playing time (we clearly need a boost in talent, if a recruit is anxious to start playing, they can easily earn a starting role).
- Facilities (one of the nicest & newest stadiums in the nation).

Look, if South Alabama can sign 15 3-star players over three years. We should be able to do the same. What do the Jags have to offer that we don't?
Posted On: Sep 23rd 2013, 12:18 PM #318374

1.  When's the last time the beach won us a football game?

2.  Amari Cooper loved Miami, had the opportunity for immediate playing time but instead chose Alabama.  Why?  He said his love for WINNING was greater than his love for immediate playing time at home.

3.  Our weight room is a joke and all of our student-athlete learning areas need to be improved/renovated.  Yeah, come play in a nice, new, empty stadium.
Back to the top
Control functions: