Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Sun Sentinel - Hutton

Add topic

Re: Sun Sentinel - Hutton

I'm with you, Coach. Much more reasonable and realistic to wait and see how things play out on the practice and game fields. I've yet to see a lowlight tape.
Back to the top

Rick said

The thing that is consistently overlooked in this is the amount of time all of this stuff talkes to to do.

If you add up the amount of time spent on researching and writing things like blogs, previews, etc, it's kind of laughable the monetary return they produce.

For example, I spent 6 hours yesterday between going to FAU to film the presser, posting the vid, updating the signing list, and then writing a preview for tommorow's game.

But that is nothing compared to what Ted did…he wrote at least thee articles, three blog entries, and then who knows what other "activities". Not to mention he lives 50 minutes away and can do nothing during the drive time.

So, does one really have a right to complain about a free product?

This! Ted is probably one of the greatest at his job, just because how he can manage to do so many different things at once. Thank you for pointing this out Rick, I don't think a lot of people truly understand what he does.

As for the other threads bashing Ted, he is a blogger, which is a very opinionated forum of writing. If he feels not in favor of all the JUCO prospects that signed, then he has ever right to write about it.
Back to the top

I actually agree with a lot of what Ted says.  I like that he doesn't let the highs get to high and the lows get to low.  So he mispelled a kids name that he has never met and has never played for FAU before….lets leave it up to German to play well enough that he never mispells it again.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

FAU said

As for the other threads bashing Ted, he is a blogger, which is a very opinionated forum of writing. If he feels not in favor of all the JUCO prospects that signed, then he has ever right to write about it.

That's exactly what a blog is, it's like an editorial in a newspaper. It's his opinion. We are all entitled to ours and Rick and Francois have given us a a big forum in which we can express ours.

We may not always agree with what he says, but that's what makes his blog great. It allows us the opportunity to discuss it on his blog and on here

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

I'm very thankful for Ted's blog and for the most part, I think it's great. I like that he "takes us with him" to away games, he's a friendly guy and obviously he's a proponent for the university as a whole - which is more than I can say about that douche from the Palm Beach Post.

That said, I do think you can complain about a free product because it's not really free. The Sun Sentinel doesn't give Ted a blog out of the goodness of their heart. They sell ad space around his blog for you to look at… so you're "paying" with your eyes. It's the same thing with Facebook.
Back to the top

Coach said

Some people get a little over the top after watching highlight tapes. Does anyone put out a bad one?

No but obviously some highlight tapes are better than others. Watch the highlight tape of a 5 star WR and a 2 star WR and you can tell why one is ranked higher.

There's a lot of little things you can look for even if you're not a football coach. If most of the highlights are against the same team, they probably just had a great game against a terrible team - that doesn't tell me the kid is consistently good. When the recruit runs, how fast is he and how well does he adjust his route in anticipation of incoming tackles? For quarterbacks, how long is the ball in the air, does he throw straight and minimize air time and how does he look when he scrambles? Similarly for defensive players, you might wonder if he was just in the right place at the right time or can he cross the field to chase down somebody, where were the majority of the tackles, etc…. there's a lot of little things to pick up on.

You just have to mute the terrible hip-hop music they put on every highlight tape.
Back to the top

"Errors in spelling and grammar are added for those who like to find them"

Has anyone seen this before? It comes from someone we all know and love!

Hell, my father was a publisher for Gannett and my grammar sucks.
Back to the top

Owl2Doc said

Coach said

Some people get a little over the top after watching highlight tapes. Does anyone put out a bad one?
No but obviously some highlight tapes are better than others. Watch the highlight tape of a 5 sar WR and a 2 star WR and you can tell why one is ranked higher.
There's a lot of little things you can look for even if you're not a football coach. If most of the highlights are against the same team, they probably just had a great game against a terrible team - that doesn't tell me the kid is consistently good. For quarterbacks, how long is the ball in the air, does he throw straight and minimize air time and how does he look when he scrambles?
The main thing you like to analyze with QBs is decision making. But all the bad decisions are taken out of the tape. On the video I've watched on German I'd say he's a good athlete. As far as a QB goes, he stares down his presnap determined receiver. The only time I saw him come off his first read was when he scrambles. I didn't see progressive reads within the pocket. Maybe that is all he was required to do within the offense, not sure, since I have no idea how they were coaching him up.
Back to the top

Coach said

Owl2Doc said

Coach said

No but obviously some highlight tapes are better than others. Watch the highlight tape of a 5 sar WR and a 2 star WR and you can tell why one is ranked higher.
There's a lot of little things you can look for even if you're not a football coach. If most of the highlights are against the same team, they probably just had a great game against a terrible team - that doesn't tell me the kid is consistently good. For quarterbacks, how long is the ball in the air, does he throw straight and minimize air time and how does he look when he scrambles?
The main thing you like to analyze with QBs is decision making. But all the bad decisions are taken out of the tape. On the video I've watched on German I'd say he's a good athlete. As far as a QB goes, he stares down his presnap determined receiver. The only time I saw him come off his first read was when he scrambles. I didn't see progressive reads within the pocket. Maybe that is all he was required to do within the offense, not sure, since I have no idea how they were coaching him up.

The dude is a JUCO 2 time all american… Led the nation in passing in 2010 was #2 in the nation for passing in 2011… The good news is I think he can step in at qb for one of the worst Offenses in NCAA football and make an improvement….
Back to the top

Just a swingin'
Back to the top
Control functions: