Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

What's Up with Owls recruiting?

Add topic

Re: What's Up with Owls recruiting?

owlfan1 said

Owlando said

SeminOWL2006 said

We never know anything until spring right before signing.  I like the surprise personally, it lets us focus on the football season during the football season and recruiting during recruiting season, instead of worrying about how great some kid is that won't even be on the field until 2011 at the earliest.

One guy FAU is currently considering is three-star WR Pat Harris, FIU also has an offer out to him. Do we want FIU to have another T.Y. Hilton, or do we want him, especially since we are losing our receiving core after this year is over.

FIU has T.Y. Hilton, we have Bam-Bam Morris. I'll take Morris ;)

GO OWLS!!!

Ditto on Morris
Back to the top

If we give him 30 carries a game and get our defense up to, say 100th in the nation, we win all the rest of our games.

EDIT: All the games except for Troy

Florida Atlantic University Owls
2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

SeminOWL2006 said

If we give him 30 carries a game and get our defense up to, say 100th in the nation, we win all the rest of our games.

EDIT: All the games except for Troy

RE-EDIT: All of ours games.  ;D
Back to the top

Hate the star sytem all you want, but you all know you'd be much more comfortable if FAU could get more then two 3 star recruits a year. 
Back to the top

Stars don't account for smarts, character, desire or heart, but they do measure athleticism (size, speed, strength and jumping ability). Coaches  can work somewhat with size and strength, but as they say, you can't teach speed!

Articles up here in Georgia now about how many GOOD players whom did not start or blossom until their sernior season are being left out from offers by the big boys in recruiting as they already have verbals on all thier spots.

A LOT of opportunities for "better" recruits with the new emphasis on early verbals. Please expand recruiting out of just Florida and don't drop the ball up here. Troy and MTSU won't!
Back to the top

aye the 1 commit that fau got he is my little brother and i know that the only reason he's rated as a 40 on espn is because the combine he attended got rained out..i can tell u he has by far the best hands that ive seen he…knows how to use his body to fight for the ball he is by far the best player in this region he plays both sides of the ball on all special teams he never gets a break but still goes 100% even in a run dominated offense as the double wing he is still the star of that team and he has worked his butt off to get this scholarship so saying that he shouldnt get this u are wrong in so many ways he doesnt care if there are 5 te in front of him he will fight for playing time…fau wants him because they say something in him that ive seen in him for the longest he has other offers if you ever read up on him he had plenty and others that were interested i know that fau has fallen on a rough season but my brother will try his best to help this team to another sunbelt championship.
Back to the top

Can't wait to have him on the team! Welcome aboard

2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

Belleview High's Alex DeLeon verbally committed to play football for Florida Atlantic University on Thursday after attending the Owls one-day camp last weekend.

DeLeon (6-4, 195), who can't officially become an Owl until National Signing Day in February of 2010, would be the first Division I football scholarship for the Rattlers since Cody Wells signed with the University of South Carolina back in 2003.

"I just felt real comfortable (at FAU)," DeLeon said. "I feel like I really fit into the offense. I felt like it was the best choice for me athletically, academically and financially."

Belleview head coach Mike Bowe said he and DeLeon talked to more than 20 schools, but FAU was the first to pull the trigger with an official offer.

Bowe went on to say FAU coach Howard Schellenberger rarely offers prospects this early in the process. In fact, DeLeon is the first 2010 commitment for the Owls.

"It's very unusual for (FAU to) offer this early," Bowe said. "They really like him as a multiple threat at tight end."

DeLeon also plays outside linebacker for the Rattlers, but the FAU staff likes him at tight end, where returning senior Jamari Grant hauled in 45 passes for 642 yards and four TDs last season.

"They use their tight ends a lot," said DeLeon, who lettered in football, basketball and track last year. "I won't always have my hand on the ground. I'll be in the slot sometimes, kind of like an H-back."

Bowe said DeLeon, who is a full qualifier and carries a 3.3 GPA, possesses the perfect skill set to flourish in the Owls offensive system.

"Alex has the ability to stretch the field from tight end or split out wide," Bowe said. "He has great hands and they love his blocking technique."

DeLeon said the opportunity to play for a coaching legend like Schnellenberger — who won a national title at Miami in 1983 and cut his teeth under Paul "Bear" Bryant — went a long way toward sealing the deal with FAU.

"It's a great feeling to play for a legend," DeLeon said. "He's made a lot of programs."

DeLeon plans to study nursing or physical therapy in college.

OVER 20 SCHOOLS WANTED HIM TEAMS WITH BIGGER SPOTLIGHT THAN FAU HE STILL PICKED FAU HE WONT CHANGE HIS MIND U GUYS GOT A REAL PLAYER IN ALEX DELEON

Back to the top

I feel we should make our commitments public. We are living in times of advanced technology, such as the internet, therefore it should be used to our advantage. Also like Troy we should recruit JUCO players who are ready to contribute right away. Go Owls!
Back to the top

JUCO players are best for teams that are spread…since JUCOs are pretty much spread teams and the players can just fit right into the same position, same system, new team.  You also get let continuity since you can only get 2 years out of them.

Most major teams, and pretty much all Pro-Style rely on recruiting high schoolers not JUCO.  Also, making our commitments public is dangerous.  We tend to go for the secrets, the diamonds in the rough.  If Rivals heres we are interested they will rate them, maybe give them 3 stars and some publicity and next thing you know they are off to Central Michigan.  This is the way it is, we try to get players that want to play for the Owls instead of ones that settled on the Owls…(of course there are many that settled as well)

Back to the top
Control functions: