Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

2012 FAU Football Schedule

Add topic

Re: 2012 FAU Football Schedule

2012 FAU Football Schedule

owlcountry said

mckeon said

I'm not a fan of "paying the bills" by playing big name schools. Sure we make $$$ by getting the crap kicked out of us 3 times a year but I think its a self defeating policy to have a 99% chance of losing the first 3 games as we did in 2011… I think if you reverse that view and play all the non-conference games to win (Like we are doing with the 2012 season opener) and start the season 3-0 vs. 0-3 it can make a huge difference in getting a bowl bid and putting butts in seats…

The problem with relying on our own fanbase is, if we had a season like we did in 2011, we wouldn't have met our budget with gate receipts, you know?

Playing bodybag games sucks, no one will disagree there, but at the end of the opening stretch we've made our nut and everything else is just a bonus.

I agree.  Look what FIU is doing.  They're scheduling works well for a decent record at the end of the season.

FAU Class of '87
Back to the top

BeastOwl said

owlcountry said

mckeon said

I'm not a fan of "paying the bills" by playing big name schools. Sure we make $$$ by getting the crap kicked out of us 3 times a year but I think its a self defeating policy to have a 99% chance of losing the first 3 games as we did in 2011… I think if you reverse that view and play all the non-conference games to win (Like we are doing with the 2012 season opener) and start the season 3-0 vs. 0-3 it can make a huge difference in getting a bowl bid and putting butts in seats…

The problem with relying on our own fanbase is, if we had a season like we did in 2011, we wouldn't have met our budget with gate receipts, you know?

Playing bodybag games sucks, no one will disagree there, but at the end of the opening stretch we've made our nut and everything else is just a bonus.

I agree.  Look what FIU is doing.  They're scheduling works well for a decent record at the end of the season.

Yea, if you look at the FIU 2011 schedule there were no "body bag" games…

The bigger schools they had (Louisville, Duke, UCF) were all very winnable games… As a result they finished 8-5 and went to a bowl game… 8 of thier games were covered on T.V. (2 ESPN2, 1 ESPN, 3 ESPN3 and 1 ESPNU)…

I understand 100% why we play big schools… We can still make $$$ by playing bigger schools, But I think we need to be smart about it.  I played football in H.S. and I can tell you its hard to come back from a beatdown… And signing our guys up with 3 back to back beatdowns can ruin your entire season. In my opinion the first 3 losses played a large part in our 2011 season.  Instead of playing Alabama maybe we should play teams like Old Miss.

Compare 2012 Non-Conference Games:

FIU 2012: Duke, Louisville, Akron, UCF… All winable

FAU 2012: Georgia (WTF?), Navy (Winable), Alabama (WTF?)

Don't get me wrong FIU could lose all 3 of those games, but I think chances of beating Duke, Louisville, Akron or UCF are way higher than beating Georgia or Alabama…

They pay their bills by playing lower level big schools… We pay our bills by playing elite 5 star college superpowers….

Back to the top

mckeon said

BeastOwl said

owlcountry said

mckeon said

I agree.  Look what FIU is doing.  They're scheduling works well for a decent record at the end of the season.

Yea, if you look at the FIU 2011 schedule there were no "body bag" games…

The bigger schools they had (Louisville, Duke, UCF) were all very winnable games… As a result they finished 8-5 and went to a bowl game… 8 of thier games were covered on T.V. (2 ESPN2, 1 ESPN, 3 ESPN3 and 1 ESPNU)…

I understand 100% why we play big schools… We can still make $$$ by playing bigger schools, But I think we need to be smart about it.  I played football in H.S. and I can tell you its hard to come back from a beatdown… And signing our guys up with 3 back to back beatdowns can ruin your entire season. In my opinion the first 3 losses played a large part in our 2011 season.  Instead of playing Alabama maybe we should play teams like Old Miss.

Compare 2012 Non-Conference Games:

FIU 2012: Duke, Louisville, Akron, UCF… All winable

FAU 2012: Georgia (WTF?), Navy (Winable), Alabama (WTF?)

Don't get me wrong FIU could lose all 3 of those games, but I think chances of beating Duke, Louisville, Akron or UCF are way higher than beating Georgia or Alabama…

They pay their bills by playing lower level big schools… We pay our bills by playing elite 5 star college superpowers….

And the Navy game at Annapolis is a 50/50 shot at best.

FAU Class of '87
Back to the top

CanadianOwl said

Don't forget this is also the opening night of high school football in Florida. FAU-Wagner won't even be on the local fans radar

Really?  Has High School football become much more popular in Boca since I graduated high school?  Because what I remember, the games didn't draw big crowds, maybe a few hundred people, mostly high school students and family of the players.  It's not like we are in Texas and high school games are a big deal.  I doubt high school games around the area will take away all that many fans from FAU playing on a Friday night. 
Back to the top

not only did the advance training games never work, we never even covered a spread in the first three game of the season on the road. I believe the only spreads we ever covered were vs. Minnesota and South Florida. Hawaii isn't in a BCS conference. In my personal opinion i think covering the spread at least shows you're competitive in the game, so for the lat 6,7 years we've never been competitive vs. BCS opponent.

I think our schedule is sh!t, coming up. We could be playing the Big East, low ACC, MAC or 1+1's with the WAC, hell I would take most Pac 10 schools. It going to take a couple of years for the howard effect to wear off me.
Back to the top

Gotta at MINIMUM drop it to two (2) "budget games" and get one BigSix game a year AT HOME plus two very winable games vs. non-BigSix or FCS opponents at home! I love that the school is looking inot playing at Hawaii (winnable) AND let's us add a sixth home game - VERY IMPORTANT to have AS MANY HOME DATES AS POSSIBLE to build a fan following!

I am sorry but BELT opponents will never excite S. Florida fans in mass to sell out the stadium UNLESS we become dominant and the games are a lot of fun to attend. But bring in one BigSix opponnent (SEC, B10, B12, ACC, BE - P12 questionable as so far away) and at least we have one sell-out a year!
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

Gotta at MINIMUM drop it to two (2) "budget games" and get one BigSix game a year AT HOME plus two very winable games vs. non-BigSix or FCS opponents at home! I love that the school is looking inot playing at Hawaii (winnable) AND let's us add a sixth home game - VERY IMPORTANT to have AS MANY HOME DATES AS POSSIBLE to build a fan following!

I am sorry but BELT opponents will never excite S. Florida fans in mass to sell out the stadium UNLESS we become dominant and the games are a lot of fun to attend. But bring in one BigSix opponnent (SEC, B10, B12, ACC, BE - P12 questionable as so far away) and at least we have one sell-out a year!

I agree.  I would love to see us zero in on Big East opponents for home games given all the North easterners down here and the alumni from those schools that would come to those games.  

FAU Class of '87
Back to the top

I think some body bag games are a necessity at this point based on our lack of donations.

However, I would like to see them spread out a little.  One year we played Florida in November.  At least that gives us a better opportunity to win some games at the beginning and not start out 0-3 every time.

As far as donations, I won't place all the blame on the fanbase and alumni…FAU could do a much better job at trying to get more donations and sponsorships IMHO.  There are tons of things they could do instead of focusing on the grand slam naming rights.

One example…A few suites at the basketball games are usually empty.  Get even a tiny bit creative and get local businesses on board for 3 or 4 game packages.  Let them test the waters, and build support locally.  Now you call up and get a suite price and it is: here is the price for the season, period.  It is probably the same with football.
Back to the top

fauowl said

I think some body bag games are a necessity at this point based on our lack of donations.

However, I would like to see them spread out a little.  One year we played Florida in November.  At least that gives us a better opportunity to win some games at the beginning and not start out 0-3 every time.

As far as donations, I won't place all the blame on the fanbase and alumni…FAU could do a much better job at trying to get more donations and sponsorships IMHO.  There are tons of things they could do instead of focusing on the grand slam naming rights.

One example…A few suites at the basketball games are usually empty.  Get even a tiny bit creative and get local businesses on board for 3 or 4 game packages.  Let them test the waters, and build support locally.  Now you call up and get a suite price and it is: here is the price for the season, period.  It is probably the same with football.

I've been trying to get them to give away some seats to youth groups on a regular basis to fill seats that would otherwise be empty; To hopefully build that momentum needed for long-term support. 

FAU Class of '87
Back to the top

fauowl said

From what ive been told, thats the biggest issue. we cut off our nose to spite our face. Ive heard there was a BIG named sponsor willing to get in the mix with the stadium last year, but they wanted to ease in at like $500k before stroking a 20mil check and got hardballed by FAU, who subsequently was told to f off. We need to get people interested, and setting the barrier of entry too high means empty suites for every basketball game!
Back to the top
Control functions: