Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Florida Atlantic at UL-Lafayette Game Thread (10/20/07)

Add topic

Re: Florida Atlantic at UL-Lafayette Game Thread (10/20/07)

Florida Atlantic at UL-Lafayette Game Thread (10/20/07)

fauprowler said

sometimes i wonder does FAU just wake up some mornings and say …

"Ya know, let's make this game more interesting, the whole game, I'll keep it close and then try to pull it out in the end."

Anyone else feel this way, after the UNT game and then (hopefully if we win) this game?

Yes. In both of those games we should have done a lot better than we did.
With ULL I had a feeling it was going to be a high-scoring game what with our offense and their QB.
That was definitely the case. Weird sense of deja vu with them keeping toe-to-toe with us.
I kept the faith though and even going into overtime I knew we would ultimately win it out.
And we did. So I'm happy about that.

But at the same time, much like a lot of you, I am concerned what these weaknesses will cost us in future games, from ULM to Troy. (Actually, FIU I'm not really worried about)

I watched the Auburn/LSU game tonight and I can see where SEC teams trump Sun Belt teams. The QBs connect with recievers more often, at greater yardages, and the players will do all sorts of crazy moves… one player was five or ten yeards from the endzone, with two defenders running full speed at him, and the guy just dived with the ball outstretched in front of him. The only part that passed the line… was the ball. Touchdown. FAU would not have done that. To be fair, though, I don't think anybody from LSU or Auburn would leap over a defender altogether, as if he was a hurdle, so…
Back to the top

THIS DEFENSE IS A JOKE. WHO CARES ABOUT POLO AND HIS INTERCEPTS. "LET HOLD EVERY OPPONENT TO 13" F THAT.  SCREW A BOWL GAME. IF WE CAN'T STOP A SIMPLE RUN WERE A JOKE.
Back to the top

illinoisowl said

According to Ted Hutton, Edgecomb may have broken his ankle.  Injuries are piling up. I hope we have some starters left to play against Troy.

Marcus Nelson reported in the Palm Beach Post that the X-rays were negative.  Hopefully he doesn't miss much time.
Back to the top

jdirico said

THIS DEFENSE IS A JOKE. WHO CARES ABOUT POLO AND HIS INTERCEPTS. "LET HOLD EVERY OPPONENT TO 13" F THAT.  SCREW A BOWL GAME. IF WE CAN'T STOP A SIMPLE RUN WERE A JOKE.

This D isn't a joke.  It is banged up and relying on some young guys on the D-line.  While they had their problems, if it weren't for some poor special teams plays(the block for a TD and if the punter doesn't panic and run after dropping the punt snap), leading to 14 points, the score isn't close.  Plus, you gave to give the Cajuns some credit.  They can score some points.  They are averaging over 30 points a game against Sun Belt teams, including 31 vs. Troy.  They have lots of problems on D, but they have talent on offense.

Just take this game for what it was, a great come back and hard earned road win.  Now we have to take care of business at home.
Back to the top

You win championship by being able to win on the road.

This was a very tough road game after a bye week, with more injuries  ::)

A road win in conference play is HUGE - I am happy that we have to face both Monroe & ASU at home.
Right now I'm not sure we have the horse to compete with Troy on the road, but there is still time for some of the young guns on Defense to make it a fight.
Back to the top

I totally disagree. This D is not a joke. We've been hit with injuries, and yes a running QB gives us fits. We do come up with the big stop when we need to. We also have playmakers on both sides of the ball, who can, and do make the big play when we need it.

What we should be impressed with is the way this team competes through all 4 quarters, with the exception of OSU, we've been in the game with maybe 1 play being the difference.

What I don't understand is can't we put a player on the QB where his only job is to stay with him every play? I think our players are athletic enough.

Rusty seems to be a "streaky" QB. When he has to throw, and gets in a rhythm the guy is fantastic. BTW this kid has shown incredible poise and leadership this year. I wasn't even mad that he got flagged for the unsportsmanlike penalty. Frankly, I didn't know he was capable of "trash talk". I wonder what he said? It did show that the kid has a fire burning in his gut.

Beware the talons of the Mighty Owls!
Back to the top

jdirico said

The defense is not a joke.  Do you have any idea what the injury list is to the original starting line up?

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

The defense has been doing the best they can considering we have been decimated with injuries. The veterans have stepped up and the newbies are still learning and they are still allowing us to win. I would though like to see us being able to tackle behind the line of scrimmage and on the periphery better.

Our biggest issue right now and needs to be addressed immediately, is Special Teams.

Very proud of how our Owls did not give up !!

GO OWLS !!!
Back to the top

Agreed, they seem to kill us on the ends. Special teams needs to bring their A game and some intensity everytime their on the field. It matters!

Beware the talons of the Mighty Owls!
Back to the top

yeah i do have an idea. but seriously, they just ran the ball, never threw it and were able to move it down the field at will. I really don't think our defense is strong. At the beginning of the season i thought our offense was going to struggle but our defense would keep us in the games.

they moved the ball way to easy tonight. I thought this would be  heads up and  game for them but it wasn't. Good teams overcome injuries. i have followed the team everyday since inception, I've been on this board since it was five guys. So don't act like I'm some random guy. be honest.
Back to the top
Control functions: