Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

2019 FAU Spring Football

Add topic

The Owls will begin their Spring Football practice activities on Tuesday, March 19th and will continue through Friday, April 20th. The Spring game is slated for Saturday, April 13th at FAU Stadium. Practices are closed to the public, unless otherwise noted.

Spring Practice Schedule

Tuesday, March 19 – First day of practice

Thursday, March 21 – Second practice

Saturday, March 23 – Third practice and clinic for Miami Dade High School coaches, 11:30 a.m.

Tuesday, March 26 – Fourth practice and Pro Day. Pro Day will be in FAU Stadium at 2 p.m.

Thursday, March 28 – Fifth practice

Saturday, March 30 – Scrimmage, 11:30 a.m. on the Tom Oxley Practice Fields

Tuesday, April 2 – Seventh practice

Thursday, April 4 – Eighth practice

Saturday, April 6 – Scrimmage at Miami’s Moore Park, open to the public, 11:30 a.m.

Tuesday, April 9 – 10th practice

Thursday, April 11 – 11th practice

Saturday, April 13 – 2019 Spring Game, 2 p.m. FAU Stadium, open to the public

Tuesday, April 16 – 13th practice

Thursday, April 18 – 14th practice

Saturday, April 20 – Final Scrimmage, open to the public and held in FAU Stadium at 11:30 a.m. Note: A clinic for Palm Beach and the state of Florida High School Coaches also will be held.
Back to the top

Spread the cheer, life with Lane is back here.

Everything's a bit earlier this year except for the Pro Day (3/26, 2 p.m. at FAU Stadium). I'll say now that I'm excited to watch Tronti and Littlejohn take meaningful snaps at QB. There is a 0.00000001 percent chance (some of you know how I am with math) we'll know the winier by the time spring ends, but if they play well or even outplay Robison, it'll make things more interesting. But a FAU QB battle is like MLB free agency: a slog of tweets, more tweets, and speculation.

Going to be weird out there now. Already year four for me doing FAU (year three for PBP technically begins this summer) and no Motor, no Azeez, no Soroh or Bain, Buddy is long gone, Willie Wright and his shrugs are already a junior. 

Twitter: @JakeElman97
Back to the top

JakeElman said

Spread the cheer, life with Lane is back here.

Everything's a bit earlier this year except for the Pro Day (3/26, 2 p.m. at FAU Stadium). I'll say now that I'm excited to watch Tronti and Littlejohn take meaningful snaps at QB. There is a 0.00000001 percent chance (some of you know how I am with math) we'll know the winier by the time spring ends, but if they play well or even outplay Robison, it'll make things more interesting. But a FAU QB battle is like MLB free agency: a slog of tweets, more tweets, and speculation.

Going to be weird out there now. Already year four for me doing FAU (year three for PBP technically begins this summer) and no Motor, no Azeez, no Soroh or Bain, Buddy is long gone, Willie Wright and his shrugs are already a junior. 
Posted On: Feb 26th 2019, 12:17 PM #385348

Big spring for a few names who need to prove themselves before many talented freshmen step on campus.

Back to the top

UPDATE: FAU is now saying camp begins on March 19, but the spring game is tentatively scheduled for April 13. So if they stick with the normal format and the spring game is on the 13th, it'd only be practice No. 12. They could have three practices after that, but who knows.  

Twitter: @JakeElman97
Back to the top

Complete Spring Practice Schedule added up top!

VIEW HERE –> 2019 FAU Spring Football - FAU Owl's Nest

Back to the top

FAU football team took to the field, one day later than planned due to “mother nature,” but the first day of the 2019 spring season is complete.

It was a day for new roles with players rising in class and production expectations. New players were welcomed – both transfers and players walking onto the team – and there were new coaches welcomed to the staff, meaning everyone would be undergoing new evaluations.

Kiffin’s Comments

“First day. (It was) good to get out there with a lot of changes. (There were) some new players and a lot of movement on the staff too,” said head coach Lane Kiffin. “Good to get guys out there. Get the players and coaches moving around. Day one, obviously a lot of work to do. A lot of production to replace on offense. We have a lot of work to do.”

Notables

• The Owls worked for two hours focusing on fundamentals and individual work
  • It was the first day of spring practice which means all work was without pads, but in helmets
  • Wednesday marked the start of the third spring practice for the Owls under the direction of head coach Lane Kiffin, who welcomed coaches Glenn Spencer (defensive coordinator/LB), Lance Thompson (defensive line/recruiting coordinator), Jason Jones (cornerbacks), DJ McCarthy (wide receivers) and Jeff Norrid (offensive line) to the staff in either new positions or in different roles
  • It is the first spring practice in three years the Owls have not had the leadership of outgoing senior Azeez Al-Shaair, and the first since the spring of 2015 that offensive lineman Reggie Bain has not been on field to provide leadership
  • FAU will look to rising senior linebacker Rashad Smith and welcome the return of graduate student and center Junior Diaz to help define some of those roles

- FAU SID Katrina McCormack
Back to the top

Florida Atlantic University football has been afforded two outstanding days of weather after shifting practice days due to rain. On Friday morning, the Owls continued to work in shorts and helmets while the temperature was a balmy 72 degrees.

Friday’s practice was the second with new coaches, especially on the defensive side of the ball and as the Owls have worked through drills, the comfort level continues to grow.

Defensive Player Comments

Rashad Smith on is it weird to look around and not see former players who have been here each of his previous two spring seasons.

“No, not really. You have to move on. It is what it is. New leaders have to step up. You have got to just keep the train running.”

Akileis Leroy on the new coordinators three years in a row. Is it difficult?

“It is not even as far as learning defense. It is learning the coach the most. Learning defenses is what I’m here (FAU) for, that is what I signed up for, to learn different types of football. Learn different defenses if it came down to it…I still have relationships with all my coaches and I let them know I’m thankful for them. Each coach taught me something different as far as the mental aspect, physical aspect and the aspects of the game. I’m grateful for every last coach I have had. Now Coach (Glenn) Spencer is a new addition and I’m very thankful for him. He makes me compete every day. I may do something good, but instead of him wanting me to do something good, he wants me to do something great. He brings me out to a whole different level.”

Saturday’s scheduled time will be 11:30 a.m. Practices are closed to the general public

Back to the top

FAU football got to sleep in a little bit on Saturday with the field workout beginning at 11:30, a time that the Owls are normally wrapping up their weekday practices.

From beginning to end, the practice fields were lined with players’ families and South Florida coaches who participated in a coaches’ clinic immediately following the practice.

Head Coach Lane Kiffin

“I thought it was a really good day three after not necessarily a great day two,” said Lane Kiffin, FAU’s head football coach. “A lot of times (on) Saturday for whatever reason, when you put on shoulder pads things pickup. Guys were very physical today, which was good to see. I thought we looked good in a lot of areas today. Different than day two.”

JUCO offensive lineman Lavante Epson was a featured player for today's post-practice interview session. You can read more about him via Shane Marinelli's previous post regarding his commitment.

Today's interview was captured via Jake Elman of the Palm Beach Post, and is included below.

The team will return to the field this Tuesday and Thursday at 9:30 AM. Practices are closed to the general public.

Back to the top

Florida Atlantic University football began the second week of practice Tuesday morning with a traditional practice and then activities moved to FAU Stadium where the outgoing Owls went through the paces of 2019’s Pro Day.

It was the first session of the Spring in full pads for the team.

Once again, the practice fields were lined with high school coaches and players electing to take in the morning’s football session to learn while on spring break.

Practice Notables

· 7 on 7 drills saw Brandon Robinson haul in a one-handed reception over his shoulder with a close defender

· Both Ahman Ross and Quran Hafiz broke up passes during 7 on 7

· James Pierre had an interception and return during team drills

Results from Pro Day can be Found Here

The team will return to the field this Thursday at 9:30 AM. Practices are closed to the general public.

Back to the top

The FAU football team completed their final Thursday March workout under cloudy skies, bits of rain and wind that tested each of the quarterback’s arms.

While it is the final Thursday in March, it also was the final Thursday practice that did not have a pre-scrimmage mentality to it.

Defensive Back Ahman Ross

“The new defense is way more dynamic. I feel like … we are buying in quickly. Everyone is on the same page and we are communicating. There is no bickering, fussing or fighting. Everyone’s main goal is to win and be a solid defense.”

“We have a lot of players on defense that play well with instincts. Once you read your keys and you know what keys you have to play with, it is easy to execute. We are a versatile defense and we will have it all in, whether it be man or zone.”

Notables

· 7 on 7 was highlighted by a deep pass to redshirt sophomore Dave Richards

· Redshirt junior running back James Charles had a 10-yard reception which set up a deep pass for score from redshirt sophomore quarterback Nick Tronti to junior receiver Willie Wright

· During team drills, Tronti hit redshirt senior receiver Landante Harris with a chain mover

The team will return to the field this Saturday at 11:30 AM. Practices are closed to the general public.

Back to the top
Control functions: