Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

2020-21 FAU Offseason Wishlist

The only reason we are talking about both Willie and Jr. is to say there is room for QB competition next year without Jr. in the QB equation.
Back to the top

As far as my rule being questioned. I’m sorry I don’t have photographic memory but I knew that Antoine had big play potential.

I mentioned before the 2019 season that he could be good because I looked at his stats at USF. He had a 64 yard kickoff return and two 39 yard receptions which may have been td’s.

What I said a few days ago is they should have a 70-80 yard td reception. A long punt return or kickoff return is a plus.

Antoine was the only transfer receiver we’ve had who I mentioned could be good before playing here. I’ll take my track record. I’ll also take my word and the source I had on a certain QB/WR/CB? Hybrid’s playing time.

Like I said you need to have experience to be able to judge who’s good. It takes watching a lot of football and seeing the best to ever play the game to know where players stand. There’s a reason coaches in their 20’s and early 30’s aren’t setting the world on fire.
Back to the top

I don’t subscribe to this notion that Tronti wasn’t good enough to help the Transfer receivers succeed. Fine whatever a great passing QB would’ve done better with the transfers. 

But it’s not like guys like Chase were that good anyways. Does anyone think any of these transfer receivers will get drafted? I don’t think so.

The best 2 seasons we had 2017 and 2019 the best receivers were recruited here out of high school with 1 exception of Antoine:

But think about it. Antoine didn’t play in the 52-28 thrashing against SMU and all the receivers in that game  pretty sure were recruited out of high school.

My view is fine load up on these transfer receivers but only to motivate the receivers we recruited out of high school who will be better.

The reason high school receiver recruits are better is because the transfers have failed. 

I’m still waiting to see if there’s another QB coming or what the plan is for the future.
Back to the top

JakeElman said

It’s never too early to ask Santa (or Hannukah Harry) for Christmas gifts. I wanted to wait until after UMass (2/3 of our season over) to make this list. These are bulleted without order of priority. 

* Add at least one, ideally two, quarterbacks through the portal. One should be someone who can come in on Day 1 and compete with Posey, Taggart Jr., and potentially Tronti for the starting job. If the one-time free waiver is approved, this might be more ideal because I’d prefer someone with multiple years of eligibility. 

The second quarterback should be someone similar to Agner. An older guy, maybe he’s started at a JC or briefly at a G5 team, who is solid depth. Depending on how many scholarships are available, this one could be a walk-on. 

* A thorough analysis of the tight end room and their place in Taggart’s offense. I totally understand Taggart historically hasn’t used his TEs the way Lane did with Harrison and Raine. That’s not what I mean here. 

To have two total catches from the TEs in six games — and none since Charlotte — is unacceptable. That falls on many people, including the QBs, coaches, and tight ends. 

FAU has two current TE commits. I know they need younger bodies, but if the tight end position is not going to become an instrumental part of FAU’s passing game from a receiving standpoint, maybe Taggart needs to re-evaluate things. 

(Note: Rahmod Smith is out for the season, so his expected return next year adds another layer to the analysis part.)

* A full offseason for Posey as a quarterback. Simple enough. 

* A re-evaluation of the entire receiving unit, from the position coach down to the players. I am not asking for anyone to lose their job or scholarship. But two things have to be addressed: lack of depth, and regression. 

Lane had the same problem two years ago. He replaced the position coach and added some extra bodies, including Deangelo Antoine, McNeal on his second stint, and several walk-ons who at least were emergency players. 

FAU is dressing six or seven receivers right now for various reasons. Not sure yet if TJ Chase or Aaron Young intend to use the extra year waiver. 

* Figure out early where the players who opted out fit into the program’s future. They may have done part of this already. I still think Eyin Cole has a bright future here. But I’d prefer FAU finds out sooner rather than later if those players intend to be here next year, or if they’re following Jaylon Worsham, who put on his Twitter bio that he’s in the portal. 

I wrote all this on my morning walk, so I probably forgot something. The signing class has so many verbal commits that it makes the wishlist easier. 

Leave what’s on your wishlist below — and enjoy the win. I’ll take 5-1 any day of the week, especially in a pandemic year. 
Posted On: Nov 21st 2020, 8:11 AM #397990

Status report on these things:

1. They have one portal QB here in Michael Johnson Jr. We shall see about a second but I’m very optimistic about him…even if I’m concerned about other parts of the offense. 

2. Well, they got rid of Fairman (which I would not personally have done) and signed two kids in December. 

3. TBD. 

4. They reportedly moved Mehringer to TEs and promoted analyst Joey Thomas (former NFLer) to WR coach. Shane said in another thread that it sounds like Aaron Young and TJ Chase are coming back. Kobe Stewart and Edrine are on campus, per Shane.

At this point, I think you need 10 WRs between scholarship and walk-ons who make up your three-deep and are dressing on game day next year. The 2019 team had about 10-11 that dressed weekly by the time that year ended, not counting the bowl game. 

I think by the end of season, they got down to 7: Chase, B-Rob, Willie Wright, D’Marcus Adams, BJ Alexander, Merrell, and Wester. Plus Taggart’s son, and we know how that went. 

5. Agner is in the portal, as are La’Darius Henry and Worsham. Charles Toombs is also in there, but I don’t think he opted out. 

Twitter: @JakeElman97
Back to the top
Control functions: