Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

2020 Roster Changes

OwlPT15 said

This year is most likely a rebuild. Doesn’t mean that the offense won’t be good enough to get us to a bowl but I doubt 2020 is the year that FAU makes a big run. Just being pragmatic, the portal gives and the portal takes away. Some years are good and some aren’t great. on the bright side conference USA is terrible so we we can always be in the running. 

Posted On: Jan 16th 2020, 8:44 AM #393423
I don't believe very many are considering this a rebuild year.  Yes there are some holes to fill on D (important holes) but not a "rebuild".  I believe after Tagart and Leavitt are done we will be #1 or #2 favored for the East next year if not the conference.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

NJOWL said

can you link that?
Posted On: Jan 16th 2020, 2:22 PM #393431

No, can't do that…off the record conversation with someone who has no dog in the hunt and complete knowledge of the situation.

Back to the top

NJOWL said

can you link that? Doesn’t really make much sense. Do we know snap counts?
Posted On: Jan 16th 2020, 2:22 PM #393431

I believe the broadcasters during the bowl game commented on this. I cant remember if they said they specifically spoke to him about it or if it was speculation. They talked about how he wasn't originally the starter and still wasn't full time and mainly played in pass cover situations. One of them specifically commented he probably did it to avoid having to take the hits having to run cover but that would mean they also believed it was his choice not to start full time.
Back to the top

Whatever the reason or playing time, he had a great year and let's hope he returns. Many enter the transfer portal but then withdraw and return as well.

I will say though if he does go the USF then player tampering may need to be addressed by FAU to limit that in the future.
Back to the top

Thinking this is no big loss is a bit naive in my opinion.  Sure we can have the “next man up” mentality, but this is the loss of a proven commodity who put up great numbers.

At the same time I don’t feel a rebuild is coming.  The offense should be as good or better, there is talent on the defense (and coming in), and the schedule is easier (and CUSA isn’t going to over the off-season become a beast of a league). Does that mean I expect 11 wins again?  No - but I would not be surprised with being close to the top of the conference and in another bowl.  With the coaches that have been brought in and the talent that is still there, I certainly don’t expect a crazy drop.  
Back to the top

owlsdad said

Thinking this is no big loss is a bit naive in my opinion.  Sure we can have the “next man up” mentality, but this is the loss of a proven commodity who put up great numbers.

At the same time I don’t feel a rebuild is coming.  The offense should be as good or better, there is talent on the defense (and coming in), and the schedule is easier (and CUSA isn’t going to over the off-season become a beast of a league). Does that mean I expect 11 wins again?  No - but I would not be surprised with being close to the top of the conference and in another bowl.  With the coaches that have been brought in and the talent that is still there, I certainly don’t expect a crazy drop.  
Posted On: Jan 17th 2020, 9:46 AM #393474
Agree.  Losing proven talent and leadership is always tough.

It's so hard to predict what next year is going to look like.  Most casual FAU football fans do not realize what we are losing on defense IMO.  Been following the sport a long time, I dont remember ever seeing a team graduate 8 Dlineman in one season  :Thinking:  :Thinking:   

What worries me about the Dline more than the secondary, specifically CB is the DLine at our level is one of those positions where we arent really able to recruit the type kid that can come in from high school level and play at a high level in his first few years.  They usually have to develop and grow into the position.  Which leads us to the JUCO route...we've all seen the crap shoot that is.  Amazing kids like Tim Bonner can come or kids you probably dont remember because they never actually played can come.

But agree, every CUSA program will have its holes next year.  I just want the normal at FAU to be 8-9 wins and more than that when you have a roster where things come together (like this year).  

I have a gut feeling...we can get to the 8-9 win level for the next 3-4 years and change the perception and reputation of FAU football...things will look a lot different for our program.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

I alluded to next year being a rebuild for this exact reason. Let’s not forget we were huge favorites in 2018 coming off that dominating 2017 season.

I‘ll wait for the inevitable 2020 season prediction/expectations thread. 

Edit: I do think 7-9 wins is completely within reason but I’m not getting my hopes up about leading the country in turnovers for a second straight season. 
Back to the top

I disagree that next year is a rebuild. We will always lose players every season to graduation. Our Dline is going to be young and inexperienced but Taggart has already recruited 4 Dline players. I think Jim Leavitt has the experience to work with what he's got to build a defense with this team.

On the offensive side of the ball, I see us rumbling.
Back to the top

UPDATE to the OP: Dotson is headed to Tallahassee.

When I'm not in school, I'm schooling the CUSA Twitter game; Follow Me Here
Back to the top

Gun to my head 
Back to the top
Control functions: