Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

2021 FAU Football Fall Camp

Just confirmed our start date, so getting the thread going  :cool:
Back to the top

Any update on whether some of these will be open to the public?
Back to the top

Not yet, policy isn't finalized yet, but should be soon.
Back to the top

Ideally they’ll open at least one Saturday scrimmage up. I think Lane usually did it like this:

Scrimmage at stadium second Saturday (open to all)
Scrimmage at stadium third Saturday (open to media, but you’d see family in stands)
Closed scrimmage on a Friday night/Saturday a week before the opener (closed to all) 

So that’d be the 14th and the 21st which you’re hoping will be open if they don’t revamp the structure. I see no reason not to open one. Get people excited about team and all the new faces. 

Twitter: @JakeElman97
Back to the top

Speaking as a financial supporter of the program, I can attest that Willie is wary about having fans and/or boosters too close to the team. Lane allowed us to come to a few practices and high five the players between drills and stuff like that. He also held a luncheon every Weds during the season and was very friendly with the boosters. I even have a photo with Lane. From what I have been told by sources in the athletic dept., Willie’s previous negative experience at FSU with fans  made him skeptical of having boosters too close to the team. Last year I was invited to a practice during fall camp only to be told upon arrival that we’ll tour the new Schmidt facility and only catch “a few minutes of practice” which consisted of watching about 3 min of practice from inside the facility. My point is that with Lane, it seemed like you can expect some healthy level of fan/booster engagement while with Willie, it’s difficult to know what to expect. It wasn’t even a sure thing fans would be allowed in for the Spring Game until last min this year if memory serves me well. I understand that Covid was an issue last year but I also don’t think it’s smart to lean on that as an excuse to alienate your boosters. Ok, rant over.
Back to the top

Glad that the rant is over!
Willie will be far more engaging with supporters and will go out of his way to interact when all is safe.
Lane could not even stay at the radio show for 5 minutes afterward let alone wear anything that said FAU.
Board shorts, tee shirt, surfer hat and out the door!
Just let the administration give Willie the okay and you will see more fan interaction than before.
Back to the top

FAU Fan said

Willie will be far more engaging with supporters and will go out of his way to interact when all is safe.
Lane could not even stay at the radio show for 5 minutes afterward let alone wear anything that said FAU.
Just let the administration give Willie the okay and you will see more fan interaction than before.
Posted On: Jul 18th 2021, 8:51 PM #402588

Lane got a pass on not staying and mingling because he’d always check-in with the donors and people he recognized as those who supported the program and university. He’d sit at the booster’s table during the coaches show for a few minutes, maybe shake hands with a couple of other people, and then leave. 

And as Law said, LK had the private relationships with those boosters and powerful people. Some of them traveled to every game and were a legitimate part of the program. Whether or not he should’ve spoke with every fan at Biergarten is another conversation. But it became easy to give him a pass for being in and out at a public setting like Biergarten because he paid his tributes to the influential people and smiled. 

Back to the top

JakeElman said

FAU Fan said

Posted On: Jul 18th 2021, 8:51 PM #402588

Lane got a pass on not staying and mingling because he’d always check-in with the donors and people he recognized as those who supported the program and university. He’d sit at the booster’s table during the coaches show for a few minutes, maybe shake hands with a couple of other people, and then leave. 

And as Law said, LK had the private relationships with those boosters and powerful people. Some of them traveled to every game and were a legitimate part of the program. Whether or not he should’ve spoke with every fan at Biergarten is another conversation. But it became easy to give him a pass for being in and out at a public setting like Biergarten because he paid his tributes to the influential people and smiled. 
Posted On: Jul 18th 2021, 8:56 PM #402589

I dont think anybody gets a pass as a coach you can do both. I have been told by ppl in the athletic office that the fan engagement from Lane at some of these events was lacking to say the least. Speaking with every fan is not a reasonable ask , showing up in fau gear and not like you just ran to walmart is a reasonable ask. Because lane had a private relationship with maybe 6-10 people doesnt mean you can ignore the rest of the fanbase and season ticket holders.
Back to the top

LawOwl said

Speaking as a financial supporter of the program, I can attest that Willie is wary about having fans and/or boosters too close to the team. Lane allowed us to come to a few practices and high five the players between drills and stuff like that. He also held a luncheon every Weds during the season and was very friendly with the boosters. I even have a photo with Lane. From what I have been told by sources in the athletic dept., Willie’s previous negative experience at FSU with fans  made him skeptical of having boosters too close to the team. Last year I was invited to a practice during fall camp only to be told upon arrival that we’ll tour the new Schmidt facility and only catch “a few minutes of practice” which consisted of watching about 3 min of practice from inside the facility. My point is that with Lane, it seemed like you can expect some healthy level of fan/booster engagement while with Willie, it’s difficult to know what to expect. It wasn’t even a sure thing fans would be allowed in for the Spring Game until last min this year if memory serves me well. I understand that Covid was an issue last year but I also don’t think it’s smart to lean on that as an excuse to alienate your boosters. Ok, rant over.
Posted On: Jul 18th 2021, 6:20 PM #402587

The few times i have been to games willie has even acknowledged us in passing. Are people forgetting some of the team may not be vaccinated? I don’t want to hive five the kids and then find out half the team is missing the UF game. I look at what other teams are doing who else is opening scrimmages during fall camp. Miami will be a no, ucf will be a no, and probably fiu too. I think some of the criticism fau gets is over the top. 
Back to the top

1OwlFLATL said

I dont think anybody gets a pass as a coach you can do both. I have been told by ppl in the athletic office that the fan engagement from Lane at some of these events was lacking to say the least. Speaking with every fan is not a reasonable ask , showing up in fau gear and not like you just ran to walmart is a reasonable ask. Because lane had a private relationship with maybe 6-10 people doesnt mean you can ignore the rest of the fanbase and season ticket holders.
Posted On: Jul 20th 2021, 9:51 AM #402598

But that’s why Lane got the pass on not staying the entire hour. He did the private events like the luncheon with the season ticket holders and donors who weren’t in the inner circle. They felt appreciated which is all you can ask for. Lane also never turned down taking pics or signing things at Biergarten from what I saw. (To his credit, Willie Taggart took pics with fans at Biergarten in 2019 and was very polite when I introduced a fan to him.)

But back on topic. Ideally they’ll open a scrimmage up and we can see this team in action. I’m really excited for Zuberi Mobley, the true freshman running back. He looked sharp in the spring game and Perkins will do a good job with him. Excited to see Mobley and Pasley, the true freshman TE. 

Back to the top
Control functions: