Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

2021 FAU Spring Football

The Owls' held their second and final scrimmage before the 2021 Spring Game, which will take place next Saturday. Below are the highlights:

For the second Saturday in as many weeks, the Florida Atlantic University football team held a scrimmage in FAU Stadium. For a second Saturday, a clear winner of the day (offense versus defense) was hard to determine.

The first half saw the defense force punts on the first two possessions. Following that, the offense began to move down the field with successes in both the pass and run game. On 3rd-and-8, Nick Tronti found TJ Chase for a score, and shortly after, Javion Posey became the first 20+-mph Owl of the day with his 60-yard score.

The defense responded by recording sacks, including a big one from Decarius Hawthorne and Chase Lasater, forcing more punts. LaJohntay Wester caught a short pass and broke for an additional 40 yards, proving his elusive 2020 moves are here to stay. Tyrek Tisdale got into the action with a 17-yard run and then saved a play with redirection and took it in for a score. The defense's response was to recover a center/quarterback exchange, which they did several times throughout the day. Jonathan Francois, who moved from the defensive side to the offensive side this spring, showed his merit with power-packed runs.

The first half ended with senior Korel Smith's defense on his receiver, tipping a ball which fell in the waiting hands of Zyon Gilbert, who returned it for the score.

The second half was heavy on defense. Malcolm Lamar was credited with a tackle for a loss and Diashun Moss had an interception. Transfer quarterback Michael Johnson, Jr. used his legs to gain a first down, but the pressure remained with D'Marcus Adams earning a sack, and senior linebacker Ahman Ross was the last Owl to find the end zone, following his INT. It looked like that honor would go to receiver Je'Quan Burton after he beat his defender for the score, but the play was reduced to a 40-yard reception due to stepping out of bounds. Lasater closed out the day's highlights when he added another TFL.

- SID Katrina McCormack
Back to the top

Is it me or has all been quiet on the Malcolm Davidson front? Glad to see Posey is still making the most of plays with his legs. 

Twitter: @JakeElman97
Back to the top

JakeElman said

Is it me or has all been quiet on the Malcolm Davidson front? Glad to see Posey is still making the most of plays with his legs. 
Posted On: Mar 21st 2021, 1:13 PM #401297

He may have fallen out of rotation who knows. I think it’s going to be the Johnny Ford show with some James Charles compliments at RB this year
Back to the top

Maybe. Remember the incident last year where Taggart pretty much admitted he didn’t give Davidson a carry against Charlotte until the fourth quarter because Davidson wasn’t vocal enough in wanting one? 🙄

I know Davidson has the injury issues but hopefully he can stay healthy and there’s a role for him on this team. 

Twitter: @JakeElman97
Back to the top
Control functions: