Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

2021 FAU Spring Football

JakeElman said

Hopefully as more people get vaccinated, FAU opens things up a bit for the summer. It’d be nice to see the writers on-site for a scrimmage or a practice and sharing the good word. I can’t be alone in wanting to know what fourth-string RB made a one-handed TD catch. 
Posted On: Mar 10th 2021, 5:30 PM #401026

My issue is telling us we can't report things, then reporting them themselves, all while locked down.

I've put up with it for a while, but it's getting ridiculous with videographers following everyone round and filming complete plays, then the house twitter director now being able to shadow everyone at games and tweet things out at will while we get no photos to use - because there is "no photographer".

Sorry but all of this is just RIDICULOUS. This is taxpayer and student dollars paying for salaries, and we have this nifty little thing call The Sunshine Law here in Florida. So, if things don't change after the Governor lifts the COVID ties, I'm not going to sit idly by.
Back to the top

Rick said

JakeElman said

Hopefully as more people get vaccinated, FAU opens things up a bit for the summer. It’d be nice to see the writers on-site for a scrimmage or a practice and sharing the good word. I can’t be alone in wanting to know what fourth-string RB made a one-handed TD catch. 

My issue is telling us we can't report things, then reporting them themselves, all while locked down.

I've put up with it for a while, but it's getting ridiculous with videographers following everyone round and filming complete plays, then the house twitter director now being able to shadow everyone at games and tweet things out at will while we get no photos to use - because there is "no photographer".

Sorry but all of this is just RIDICULOUS. This is taxpayer and student dollars paying for salaries, and we have this nifty little thing call The Sunshine Law here in Florida. So, if things don't change after the Governor lifts the COVID ties, I'm not going to sit idly by.
Posted On: Mar 10th 2021, 7:13 PM #401028

A couple years ago, I think it was spring of 19, I made a similar argument. I think the statute of limitations has passed on this for me to share it. 

I had made some kind of reference on Twitter to I think it was Pico Harrison being in the black jersey, which is those who are doing limited workouts. And two people from FAU said that the injury information shouldn’t be out there. Which, fine, but there’s a problem. 

My response was along the lines of, “You’re posting videos of practice where Pico is out there with the ones in black and he’s jumping to celebrate a TD or he’s clearly in the shot when you’re going over the defense, but a tweet saying he’s been limited lately isn’t OK?”

It’s a double standard. “Don’t report this” but we as the school are going to post videos showing exactly what we told you not to post. Huh??

Twitter: @JakeElman97
Back to the top

From what I understand, Willie is known to want as little media presence as possible because of how he was treated at FSU. As a Paradise Club member, I was invited to a couple of fall practices and coach luncheons with Lane in 2019. It was great and really made me more invested in the program. Willie seems to be a far cry away from that type of inviting presence and while yes, I understand the covid situation, it seems to be a pretty good excuse for him not to want to interact with the alumni/donor base. Winning cures all but if we have a repeat of last year, shutting off your base is not a good way to ask for more time to “fix” a program that was already winning before you got here.
Back to the top

Rick said

JakeElman said

Posted On: Mar 10th 2021, 7:13 PM #401028

Most schools are locked down right now. I know for a fact Miami reporters this year will not be able to see much more than 15 minutes of stretching and that was pre covid. 
Back to the top

LawOwl said

From what I understand, Willie is known to want as little media presence as possible because of how he was treated at FSU. As a Paradise Club member, I was invited to a couple of fall practices and coach luncheons with Lane in 2019. It was great and really made me more invested in the program. Willie seems to be a far cry away from that type of inviting presence and while yes, I understand the covid situation, it seems to be a pretty good excuse for him not to want to interact with the alumni/donor base. Winning cures all but if we have a repeat of last year, shutting off your base is not a good way to ask for more time to “fix” a program that was already winning before you got here.
Posted On: Mar 10th 2021, 7:57 PM #401030

We are in a pandemic where you can’t even go to an IRS office face to face and you think we should be doing coaches luncheons? 
Back to the top

1OwlFLATL said

LawOwl said

We are in a pandemic where you can’t even go to an IRS office face to face and you think we should be doing coaches luncheons? 
Posted On: Mar 10th 2021, 8:18 PM #401032

I'd think you could do some form of Zoom luncheon with the Paradise Club. Maybe they're planning to do it this summer. I think it'd be a good idea…

Twitter: @JakeElman97
Back to the top

JakeElman said

1OwlFLATL said

LawOwl said

Posted On: Mar 10th 2021, 8:18 PM #401032

I'd think you could do some form of Zoom luncheon with the Paradise Club. Maybe they're planning to do it this summer. I think it'd be a good idea…
Posted On: Mar 10th 2021, 8:22 PM #401033

They had one before the season last year. I’m sure they plan on doing things once things open back up. I don’t know of any schools having zoom meetings right now. Most are focused on spring ball and conditioning. 
Back to the top

1OwlFLATL said

I know for a fact Miami reporters this year will not be able to see much more than 15 minutes of stretching and that was pre covid. 
Posted On: Mar 10th 2021, 8:17 PM #401031

Miami is a private school, so they can do what they want.

However, when you get paid with public funds, you can't violate your own rules (filming complete plays for media consumption) and also only provide support (photo, video) to your own social media accounts when the rest of the public outlets who are cut off are ruled out and have to sit and do nothing.

Nope. Not. The. Correct. Way. To. Manage.

(OK, i'll shut up now)

:Big-Grin:

Back to the top

I would much rather have lunch with a coach than go to an IRS office. .  But crazy me never stopped doing anything during this covid stuff.
Back to the top

Rick said

1OwlFLATL said

I know for a fact Miami reporters this year will not be able to see much more than 15 minutes of stretching and that was pre covid. 
Posted On: Mar 10th 2021, 8:17 PM #401031

Miami is a private school, so they can do what they want.

However, when you get paid with public funds, you can't violate your own rules (filming complete plays for media consumption) and also only provide support (photo, video) to your own social media accounts when the rest of the public outlets who are cut off are ruled out and have to sit and do nothing.

Nope. Not. The. Correct. Way. To. Manage.

(OK, i'll shut up now)

:Big-Grin:

Posted On: Mar 10th 2021, 8:42 PM #401035

Its a tough balance no doubt to make sure the wrong information doesn’t get out. Then you have people posting practice clips of other teams on twitter from camera phones. Hopefully when COVID lets up at least the limited access will be restored.
Back to the top
Control functions: