2022 FAU Football Preseason Camp
- The first team session saw the Owls concentrate on the run game or working with the running backs
- Quarterback N'Kosi Perry connected with Larry McCammon III, who alluded his defender for positive yardage
- Defensive lineman Latrell Jean recorded a sack shortly there after and Peter Warrick had a fumble recovery
- Perry then found LaJohntay Wester for five plus yards
- Seven-on-seven saw the defense start strong with a Jamie Pettway interception and he later added a pass breakup
- Perry then hit Je'Quan Burton for 70 yards and the score followed by Jordan Young and Wester, in double coverage
- The Owls then began third-down work needing four, six, eight and 10 yards. Morvin Joseph recorded a sack to open the session
- The final team session of the day saw Javion Posey put together a highlight reel, first with a routine catch, then with a pass that was dropped over his shoulder for a basket catch with his back to the defender for a 35-yard gain.
- He later caught a pass from Perry, in double coverage
- Willie Taggart, Jr. was flushed out of the pocket and bought enough time for Wyatt Sullivan to get open, collect the pass and take it to the endzone for 50 plus yards
- Taggart added a 10-yard pass to Johnny Ford and Perry closed out the day with a pass to Young
The Owls will hold their first "scrimmage" tomorrow evening in a closed session.
"We'll have a couple of periods tomorrow where we're tackling. Whenever we're in full pads, we're going to tackle", said Coach Willie Taggart.
"This is my first true camp, and it's going great. I'm making big plays and helping the younger guys. Jayshon Platt, Omari Hayes, A'ceon Cobb, Wyatt Sullivan, they work hard. You've got to be on point or the next man is going to come and take your spot." - FAU WR Lajohntay Wester
He's shred the dreads and He's on a MISSION 🎫
"For camp my focus is that I've got to be my best, and be a leader in my group. Whatever it takes, just go out there and do it. We've got to come together & finish as a team." - FAU CB Romain Mungin
Coach Taggart was very complimentary of Mungin yesterday, ad say he is really stepping up as a leader on the field this season.
LawOwl saidHad to see it coming. This is Perry’s team this year. No excuses not to have a C-USA MVP caliber seasonPosted On: Aug 5th 2022, 8:37 PM
Agreed. Given the weapons on this team, I'm expecting big things from Perry
"Coach Dearmon and I did a lot of meetings going over coverages and that helped me slow the game down. I want to be a starter, show everybody what I can do, & put up the numbers. I think we will be way more explosive. - FAU WR Tony Johnson
"It's looking good, we're practicing good, hard, and fast as a unit. We're way better than the Spring. We've been doing a lot of team bonding. Iron sharpens iron, but we're brotherhood and one team. We're getting ready for Charlotte." - Morven Joseph
Here are the notable highlight plays from today's session via SID Katrina McCormack:
- The scout team session saw Perry connect with receiver JeQuan Burton to open the period with a score
- Larry McCammon followed with an allusive run
- The Perry/Burton combo hit it big again in team drills
- Willie Taggart, Jr. dropped one over the shoulder of receiver Tony Johnson, who reached out with both hands to secure the pass on stride
- Moving fields and focusing on red zone work, Perry and receiver Jahmal Edrine made scoring look easy
- The Owls executed a perfect reverse, despite the defense knowing it was coming
- The defense responded with a Jaylen Wester interception and a pass breakup by Josh Moore
- The drills moved to field one where Perry hit Burton moving the chains, and then Austin Evans for a scoring catch-and-go, but an audible was called by the head coach, placing the ball on the one for a field goal attempt
- The defense kept the offense out of the endzone once more via a Moore INT
- Special teams connected on a short field goal, before the defense recorded a sack for forced another field goal attempt
- Jayden Williams broke up a pass, but the day ended with two successful offense plays
FAU will be back on the field for day 12 tomorrow morning at The Schmidt.