Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

2022 FAU Football Preseason Camp

Not sure why I am reading more about Taggart Jr than MJJ. I was really hoping to see more action from MJJ this year.
Back to the top

Taggart Jr. is a running threat as well, I just want the 2 best out there. The ones who can move the ball, score points and NOT turn it over!
Back to the top

NITE-OWL said

Not sure why I am reading more about Taggart Jr than MJJ. I was really hoping to see more action from MJJ this year.
Posted On: Aug 3rd 2022, 11:04 AM #407604

They both had reasonably serious injuries. it's very likely that MJJ is not 100% yet (as Taggart Jr is).

Dearmon described Johnson as ~ "running back who plays QB".
Back to the top

DC Todd Orlando from this morning's interview session:

Back to the top

Rick said

NITE-OWL said

They both had reasonably serious injuries. it's very likely that MJJ is not 100% yet (as Taggart Jr is).

Posted On: Aug 3rd 2022, 12:52 PM #407606

I hope that’s in reference to his build and not his ability to throw the ball
Back to the top

owlmart said

Rick said

NITE-OWL said

They both had reasonably serious injuries. it's very likely that MJJ is not 100% yet (as is Taggart Jr).

Posted On: Aug 3rd 2022, 12:52 PM #407606
I hope that’s in reference to his build and not his ability to throw the ball

Posted On: Aug 3rd 2022, 1:15 PM #407609
I hope so too!
As far as I remember MJJ had the best performance during last year's spring game and that includes throwing the ball. Wasn't he a 4 star recruit?
What I saw in Taggart Jr. was concerning.
We will see.
Back to the top

Notable highlight plays from Wednesday's session via SID Katrina McCormack:

• Individual drills were competitive pitting the sides of the ball against each other
  • Seven-on-seven's opening play saw graduate transfer N'Kosi Perry hit LaJohntay Wester for a score, twenty yards out, then Perry found Adam Boselli
  • Redshirt freshman safety Josh Moore proved to be the offensive foil grabbing an endzone interception during the same drill
  • The defensive unit worked together to wrap up a running back allowing inside linebacker Jarrett Jerrels to strip the ball and record a return
  • Seven-on-seven ended with high praise for Perry's pass selection and a second pass by Perry that was intended for Javion Posey, but was deflected into the hands of Wester for the score
  • The following session saw the offense work on gaining positive yards when backed up near their own goal line, and the first play saw the offensive line open huge holes for Larry McCammon to move the chains
  • The second team defensive unit earned a stop and the period ended with Willie Taggart, Jr. finding Posey for a score
  • The next team drill focused on situations. Wyatt Sullivan had a nice diving catch in the open field, and Ja'Marquis Johnson ended the drill with an interception
  • FAU then began red zone work rotating through the first team, second team, third team, etc. and the Owls' offense was successful seven times, while the defense tallied six stops
Back to the top

"I believe Coach Orlando has a great defense. He's aggressive, and likes to blitz. We have some guys that match up with the things that he wants to do for us, so I believe we will do them really good." - FAU LB Jamie Pettway
Back to the top

With the Owls working on overtime drills, Thursday's notable highlights via SID Katrina McCormack:

• On second down, quarterback N'Kosi Perry let the play develop and then hit receiver LaJohntay Wester to open the drill
  • The defense held, forcing a field goal on the next opportunity
  • Willie Taggart, Jr. connected with freshman receiver Jayshon Platt and Zuberi Mobley made good on the next attempt with a three-yard rushing TD
  • The defense, who was upbeat and positive throughout practice, made another stop, which was setup by inside linebacker Justice Cross filling the gap to prevent the second down scoring attempt. The offense responded with Platt carrying it into the endzone
  • Perry hit newcomer Carter Boatwright for a two-point conversion, and Ja'Marcus Johnson followed that up with an interception.

Something new this season is that when the Owls' defense steps off the sideline to take the field, the players get down in a stance and wait for direction from defensive coordinator Todd Orlando. This is all done in an effort to reinforce an attack mentality or to take the field with urgency.

The Owls will hold a late session today with that scheduled to start at 2:00 PM.

Back to the top

Spoke to Coach Taggart today, and it is official - Perry to start for the Owls:

Back to the top
Control functions: