Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Conference Membership Discussion

Shane Marinelli OC40 said

LawOwl said

What’s your take on our place in CFB being in C-USA Jake? Would you say it’s a respectable conference?
Posted On: Jun 13th 2019, 10:22 PM #386797

I'll chime in.

C-USA fine, for now

Agreed – C USA is the right fit for the program now IMO.

Back to the top

UCONN will be looking for a football home, opening up a spot in the AAC.

Reports: UConn on verge of rejoining Big East

Which is more likely, UCONN to CUSA or FAU to the AAC? Or just an even swap? Or who form where takes the UCONN slot?
Back to the top

Serious question - I have no idea about the answer.  Would USF and UCF support or oppose another Florida school getting into the AAC?  They can use that conference (the “P6” moniker) against schools like FAU and FIU today.

And as some others have mentioned, I really don’t believe FAU is on the verge of moving up.  The one really good season in football did wonders, and the solid baseball program helps.  And of course the money currently being spent on the athletic complex is marketable.  But the other facilities are pretty poor, the historic success isn’t there, and even with tons of buzz around the football program the Owls still only get about 12-15k in attendance (probably sell 18k+ tickets).  That is not going to excite many conferences to share their better money deals - they are going to want a school that increases the value of the conference.

I am not trying to crap on FAU - just trying to be realistic.  We need to see sustained success and some additional facility upgrades before a bigger conference comes calling in my opinion.  Nothing wrong with where the school is right now and the trajectory they are trying to build.  But this will take some time.
Back to the top

All very true owlsdad! But if our Pres. and AD are not all over this opportunity to catch and take advantage of this now rare chance......
Back to the top

owlsdad said

Serious question - I have no idea about the answer.  Would USF and UCF support or oppose another Florida school getting into the AAC?  They can use that conference (the “P6” moniker) against schools like FAU and FIU today.

And as some others have mentioned, I really don’t believe FAU is on the verge of moving up.  The one really good season in football did wonders, and the solid baseball program helps.  And of course the money currently being spent on the athletic complex is marketable.  But the other facilities are pretty poor, the historic success isn’t there, and even with tons of buzz around the football program the Owls still only get about 12-15k in attendance (probably sell 18k+ tickets).  That is not going to excite many conferences to share their better money deals - they are going to want a school that increases the value of the conference.

I am not trying to crap on FAU - just trying to be realistic.  We need to see sustained success and some additional facility upgrades before a bigger conference comes calling in my opinion.  Nothing wrong with where the school is right now and the trajectory they are trying to build.  But this will take some time.
Posted On: Jun 22nd 2019, 3:17 PM #386897

my understanding is that to join certain conferences you have certain amount of academic and student population. but that was from years ago when we switched to conference usa.
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

UCONN will be looking for a football home, opening up a spot in the AAC.

Reports: UConn on verge of rejoining Big East

Which is more likely, UCONN to CUSA or FAU to the AAC? Or just an even swap? Or who form where takes the UCONN slot?
Posted On: Jun 22nd 2019, 2:45 PM #386896

Neither will happen righ now (and UConn fb is in horrific shape).

Back to the top

All I think we need is 1 more great football season. Then everyone will be talking about us moving up. With great weather, great location near hotspots and a diverse student population we’re a lot closer than ever before and can pull this off. It’s time the aac talk becomes reality
Back to the top

Here is a different Yahoo article that talks about possibly adding a football-only school like Army or Air Force (with Navy already a football-only member), and then add a basketball-only member like VCU.  That would make a lot of sense for the league.

UConn moving back to the Big East inevitable, per Pete Thamel sources

It also talks about UConn possibly going independent, but personally for the Huskies it would seem smarter for them to go back to FCS (less spending required, could probably field a competitive team, could have instant rivalries with Villanova in football and basketball, etc.).
Back to the top

You have to understand that I always say this. And that’s a decidedly negative tone you’re taking as a non alumni, is that there’s 2 types of schools. There are schools that are getting major projects funded (such as the Schmidt center) and Getting things built, and that have an exciting buzz around campus, and then there are schools that are ancient, don’t get things built, and aren’t up with the times, not in a place with good weather, not diverse enough, stuff like that. Schools like UConn and plenty of others don’t have nearly enough to offer And are clearly not moving in the direction we are. If I want someone to say we’re not good enough I’d want it to at least be an alumni you do this all the time. If your daughter didn’t go here you wouldn’t even be here it’s a joke the things you say and you don’t even realize how absurdly out of line you are
Back to the top

Back to the old conference realignment conversations.

Shane made the point that every school thinks they should move up…and has reasons why.  I agree.

From a football perspective I’ll just say this…I’m not 100% on how these decisions are made.  However, if they are made by the Presidents of the schools currently in the AAC there’s no way they want FAU in.  

If the decision is made by the head of the conference I’d have to believe we’d be top 3.  Yes, we have weaknesses…fan base.  

However, if you look at our program 10 years ago and are realistic where this program will be in 10 years it’s a scary proposition to schools like UCF and USF.  While it would be appealing to the head of the conference.

Strengths 
- In a highly attractive area.  Football area.  Beach/Money area.  Huge population area.  
- Growing University.  Academics, student body, facilities, athletics budget, etc

Our strengths from a projection standpoint FAR outweigh the weaknesses.

I also agree with Shane, we’re growing and going…UCF and USF are never going to allow themselves to be part of helping us fast track to get there.

The only thing I really care about is that I think the opponent playing us at our place is a huge piece of driving attendance.  I’m not sure if the opponents in AAC outside of USF and UCF (which I think we sell out every single time) moves the needle for us?

Honest opinion from folks…what’s the delta in attendance from playing UNCC and La Tech at home compared to Memphis and Cincinnati?

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top
Control functions: