Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Conference Membership Discussion

Local Owl said

I totally agree with that plan. Fau is relatively young. We don't have multiple generations of grads. Our grads are young. Most young people  can donate. But only a small amount . Get these grads accustom  to giving and hopefully, with their success, comes an increase in donations.
Posted On: Jun 30th 2019, 8:16 PM #387054

Agree. 

But when the donations roll in.  What’s most important to address and how do you address? 

I mean we are spending $80,000,000 on facilities as I type this.  Money is there.  Are we doing the right things to impact the cons of us aligning to “move up”?

There’s other items I didn’t mention.

- coaches salaries
- recruiting budgets 
- scheduling (no more huge pay “body bag” games
Etc….

I see others points on why we don’t align and aren’t attractive.  Wondering pecking order on what has the greatest impact to change that?

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

I believe  facilities / infrastructure.  Our football stadium is first class. Everyone knows I'm a baseball guy, but basketball needs to be next. The burrow is a gym . Not an arena.  Baseball can nake due for now. That needs to be way down the road But the problem is, even after all that, will we move up and get a bigger pay day to help pay the nut. The facilities would be possible if there was a guarantee  of moving up. But tgat will never happen. Jmho
Back to the top

I meant the guarantee  will never happen
Back to the top

Shane Marinelli OC40 said

Local Owl said

I can answer that for you Walty. Attendance. ..cheap beer prices. Key wins….like we've done in the past, announce we won, even when we didn't. Donations. ….we just need to tax something, anything. Facilities….they ann ounce it before every baseball game, " for your convenience  restrooms are located  at the swimming complex next door". Who could want anything else. Now these are not official fau comments. But they probably  have been discussed.
Posted On: Jun 30th 2019, 7:49 PM #387048

One thing I really like this new athletics department is doing is the pushing for a more grassroots type fundraising.

Past AD's wanted major donations, so they could put it on a resume and peace. The new paradise club is working just as hard to find 250 dollar donors as 1 million dollar donors. I love some of the creative inexpensive marketing they have done like the "Winning in Paradise'' signs last year and the cabana's in the endzone this year.

We have such a long way to go through as I have pointed out, we are 4 to 5 times behinds schools likes ODU and UNT in small donations. The millionaires in Palm Beach know where FAU is and most rather send their money up no to northern Florida.
Posted On: Jun 30th 2019, 8:01 PM #387050

You know it is interesting, if you break down the fundraising for UF or UM, I’ve never done it for FSU, it comes out to about $100 per living alum.

For FAU that would mean $16 million a year in donations.  You don’t really need big gifts if you’re pulling in 160,000 small gifts.
Back to the top

JulesFIU07 said

Local Owl said

I can answer that for you Walty. Attendance. ..cheap beer prices. Key wins….like we've done in the past, announce we won, even when we didn't. Donations. ….we just need to tax something, anything. Facilities….they ann ounce it before every baseball game, " for your convenience  restrooms are located  at the swimming complex next door". Who could want anything else. Now these are not official fau comments. But they probably  have been discussed.

One thing I really like this new athletics department is doing is the pushing for a more grassroots type fundraising.

Past AD's wanted major donations, so they could put it on a resume and peace. The new paradise club is working just as hard to find 250 dollar donors as 1 million dollar donors. I love some of the creative inexpensive marketing they have done like the "Winning in Paradise'' signs last year and the cabana's in the endzone this year.

We have such a long way to go through as I have pointed out, we are 4 to 5 times behinds schools likes ODU and UNT in small donations. The millionaires in Palm Beach know where FAU is and most rather send their money up no to northern Florida.

You know it is interesting, if you break down the fundraising for UF or UM, I’ve never done it for FSU, it comes out to about $100 per living alum.

For FAU that would mean $16 million a year in donations.  You don’t really need big gifts if you’re pulling in 160,000 small gifts.
Posted On: Jun 30th 2019, 8:47 PM #387058

I think outside major donations the university has problems connecting to that alumni base. Don’t get me wrong President Kelly has done a great job of connecting with the 21st century crowd and the university has done good with the blue wave campaign. However I think the alumni center could take a larger role in that. I mean of all the FAU alum who signed up for that owl connected page that the alumni center put out as well has any one seen a alumni page for FAU on any social media platform. 
Back to the top

USMCOWL said

JulesFIU07 said

Local Owl said

Posted On: Jun 30th 2019, 8:47 PM #387058

I think outside major donations the university has problems connecting to that alumni base. Don’t get me wrong President Kelly has done a great job of connecting with the 21st century crowd and the university has done good with the blue wave campaign. However I think the alumni center could take a larger role in that. I mean of all the FAU alum who signed up for that owl connected page that the alumni center put out as well has any one seen a alumni page for FAU on any social media platform. 
Posted On: Jun 30th 2019, 9:04 PM #387059

They’re re-branding them and trying to take a bigger presence on social media, I know that much. Ryan Moran, who used to do a lot of the marketing and videos for athletics, he’s with the alumni association now which is huge. 

Twitter: @JakeElman97
Back to the top

As an alum of FAU and UM, I can tell you firsthand FAU's outreach (and I'm assuming FIU's) is downright sad in comparison. Hopiping that changes to some degree; I've given to FAU and really there's not a whole lot in return in comparison to UM. Granted I am in NY, but the difference is night and day.
Back to the top

jgf2017 said

It makes no sense to me to be upset about a supposed lack of donations.
Posted On: Jun 30th 2019, 6:50 PM #387043

Go Owls!!
Back to the top

NJOWL said

jgf2017 said

How do you let this guy stay on here? I'm personally insulted this guy hasn't been banned.
Posted On: Jun 30th 2019, 5:44 PM #387038

You have personally attacked players beyond what is reasonable on this forum, make countless baseless posts on this forum and like FIUjules said your digs at Miami with "Universidad"  and "dump" comments it's pretty obvious what you're putting down.

I have lived in all three counties in my life and I loved my time in Boca, but I rather live in Miami or Ft.Lauderdale as a post-grad.

Palm Beach County is nice, but outside of a couple of areas, there is not much to do.

The median age of Miami Dade is a full 5.5 years younger.

There is not much to do in Sweetwater, but Boca doesn't do anything for its University.  It has been almost 4 years since 20th street development was supposed to start and nothing.
I was told by someone at FAU that the city balked when it came time to start some of the construction projects on 20th.  The city is worried about a few of its homeowners who live in that neighborhood who have to call the cops in parties on the street and now will not move on development.

Posted On: Jun 30th 2019, 7:13 PM #387044

Have you been over there? I would say the shopping center on 20th is a pretty big improvement. Put 4-5 restaurant/bar/pub crossovers and it’ll be just like UF’s midtown. 
Posted On: Jun 30th 2019, 8:13 PM #387052

That shopping plaza is not what was envisioned when the 20th plans were being put out. They wanted to brings the businesses right to the street, have bike lanes, more college businesses. That shopping plaza has nothing to do with the city.

Again I talked to someone who would know about this and I sensed obvious frustration on how the city has done nothing to advance 20th.  
Back to the top

d-owl said

As an alum of FAU and UM, I can tell you firsthand FAU's outreach (and I'm assuming FIU's) is downright sad in comparison. Hopiping that changes to some degree; I've given to FAU and really there's not a whole lot in return in comparison to UM. Granted I am in NY, but the difference is night and day.
Posted On: Jun 30th 2019, 9:21 PM #387061

I remember talking to someone in athletics and being told how much information was missing when it came to simply having contact information for alum.

I see a lot of alum complaining about outreach, but how many have reached out to someone like Kris Wall who has been running the Plam Beach alumni association (doing a great job BTW) and asked how they can help.

How many people here are either in management or own a company and when they need a position filled reach out to the FAU career center an let them know you want to hire Owls?

Imagine how much it would mean to a young alum if they were hired partly because they were an Owl?
Back to the top
Control functions: