Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

CONFERENCE REALIGNMENT: FAU to the AAC?

With the news of Texas and Oklahoma seriously considering a move to the SEC, we could be heading into a fresh round of conference realignment. The last time this happened some 8 years ago, there was certainly a trickle down effect that pushed FAU to land in C-USA. Interesting to see how things shake out. From my perspective, a move this big WILL have serious consequences for the FBS. Does the Big 12 come calling for UCF/USF? Does it force the ACC to make a move and add additional schools for leverage purposes? Is this finally the opportunity FAU has to move up to the primer G5 conference, the AAC? Say what you will but I think over the last four seasons we have been an upper tier G5 school and would be phenomenal addition to the American if UCF and /or USF end up in the Big 12 or ACC. What are everyone’s thoughts? C-USA is a dying conference unfortunately and we have shown we can beat current AAC teams (Tulsa in ‘14, USF in ‘13, SMU in ‘19, Tulane in ‘13) aside from UCF. We also played Memphis close in last year’s Bowl game. Eager to get thoughts on this!
Back to the top

LawOwl said

With the news of Texas and Oklahoma seriously considering a move to the SEC, we could be heading into a fresh round of conference realignment. The last time this happened some 8 years ago, there was certainly a trickle down effect that pushed FAU to land in C-USA. Interesting to see how things shake out. From my perspective, a move this big WILL have serious consequences for the FBS. Does the Big 12 come calling for UCF/USF? Does it force the ACC to make a move and add additional schools for leverage purposes? Is this finally the opportunity FAU has to move up to the primer G5 conference, the AAC? Say what you will but I think over the last four seasons we have been an upper tier G5 school and would be phenomenal addition to the American if UCF and /or USF end up in the Big 12 or ACC. What are everyone’s thoughts? C-USA is a dying conference unfortunately and we have shown we can beat current AAC teams (Tulsa in ‘14, USF in ‘13, SMU in ‘19, Tulane in ‘13) aside from UCF. We also played Memphis close in last year’s Bowl game. Eager to get thoughts on this!
Posted On: Jul 22nd 2021, 3:57 PM #402619

Pros off the top of my head: Schmidt Center, football stadium, and potential forthcoming upgrades to Oxley Center. Location potentially helps because….

Cons: How much does Florida location hurt if UCF/USF do not get promoted…arena, softball stadium, and baseball stadiun are all mediocre at best…attendance pre-pandemic. 

If any C-USA team jumps to a higher-tier conference anytime soon, I still think it’ll be UAB. I’m not going to say it’s impossible for FAU if major realignment happens. 

Twitter: @JakeElman97
Back to the top

The other d1 sports are not up to par compared to other AAC teams. I love FAU but going to the AAC is not going to happen.
Back to the top

Football and baseball help….and some of the Olympic sports might, too. But there’s some other logistical issues. I think the best bet is FAU becomes the big fish in the small pond (which is absolutely doable between the Schmidt and this new plan of revamping the Ox). 

Back to the top

JakeElman said

Football and baseball help….and some of the Olympic sports might, too. But there’s some other logistical issues. I think the best bet is FAU becomes the big fish in the small pond (which is absolutely doable between the Schmidt and this new plan of revamping the Ox). 
Posted On: Jul 22nd 2021, 8:11 PM #402622

Yea I mean if we rattle off a few undefeated seasons, we can make some noise especially with the new playoff system forthcoming 
Back to the top

In theory, if teams get pulled out of the AAC, the conference gets weaker, so it's not a stretch to think we'd be a fit. With that being said winning football games does not mean we move up. I think if CUSA loses teams or not, they should be looking at the Sun Belt to add teams. The Sun Belt has became the better football conference, but CUSA still brings in more money, so that could help lure App State, Coastal Carolina.
Back to the top

owlmart said

In theory, if teams get pulled out of the AAC, the conference gets weaker, so it's not a stretch to think we'd be a fit. With that being said winning football games does not mean we move up. I think if CUSA loses teams or not, they should be looking at the Sun Belt to add teams. The Sun Belt has became the better football conference, but CUSA still brings in more money, so that could help lure App State, Coastal Carolina.
Posted On: Jul 23rd 2021, 9:03 AM #402624

I think the Big 12 needs to pursue Houston and SMU…that leaves two or three spots in the AAC because UConn left….I’d give it to UAB and probably App State and Costal Carolina like OwlMart said. I have no idea what the Sun Belt would do. More high-caliber FCS programs?

Back to the top

JakeElman said

owlmart said

Posted On: Jul 23rd 2021, 9:03 AM #402624

I think the Big 12 needs to pursue Houston and SMU…that leaves two or three spots in the AAC because UConn left….I’d give it to UAB and probably App State and Costal Carolina like OwlMart said. I have no idea what the Sun Belt would do. More high-caliber FCS programs?
Posted On: Jul 23rd 2021, 11:37 AM #402625

I would think President Kelly would lobby real hard for us to get into the AAC. The Big 12 May want to add more than just three teams. If it’s UAB, CCU and App State, we can sneak in as the 4th. Over the last half decade, it’s really been us and UAB dominating the conference 
Back to the top

Popcorn time…

Back to the top

It's been YEARS since I had time to really follow this site, but don't you guys think the Big 12 would likely try to merge with the AAC or ACC, since they'd be down to 8 teams, and wouldn't be able to compete from a revenue standpoint with the SEC? OK State and Iowa State just aren't going to bring in enough revenue to support the rest of the conference. If OU and UT leave, the conference will likely collapse, right?
Back to the top
Control functions: