Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Conferences Who Have Cancelled 2020 Football Season - Who's Next?

Oh oh. MAC, Big 10 , Pac 10. Who's next.
Back to the top

Just CUSA playing for the National Championship 
Back to the top

I just read over at ESPN that Old Dominion canceled fall sports. Wonder how that’s going to affect CUSA.
Back to the top

Without getting political, I'm shocked by this. As a business man, I don't know how they can do this. I always look at the risk/reward aspect of things. Maybe I'm wrong, but i can't see how they can recover from this. It's a virus! Figure out a way to live with it. I'm 60 years old , I have quite a few employees,  and we haven't missed a beat. No illnesses . Soon we will be in cold and flu season. We have become such a weak country.  Time to toughen up .
Back to the top

We need to everything we can to play this fall imo.
Back to the top

Testing players once a week won't cut it though! Player tests negative one day, gets exposed the next,  has 5 more days to infect others before next test!
Back to the top

Back to the top

Local Owl said

Without getting political, I'm shocked by this. As a business man, I don't know how they can do this. I always look at the risk/reward aspect of things. Maybe I'm wrong, but i can't see how they can recover from this. It's a virus! Figure out a way to live with it. I'm 60 years old , I have quite a few employees,  and we haven't missed a beat. No illnesses . Soon we will be in cold and flu season. We have become such a weak country.  Time to toughen up.
Posted On: Aug 10th 2020, 2:08 PM #395642
We are not weak. We are just more educated.

Other countries have handled this and are opening back up with low cases and deaths, but our plan was "this will just go away.'' Now we reap what we sow.

Not wanting a single dead body on your hands is not about being "weak.''

As for college football, this is not about the virus as much as it is about union-busting.

Players started asking for some concessions in regards to safety and liability and now the conferences rather punt a season than go down that road.  

The main issue with college football is that everyone spends what they take in, so now the season in jeopardy the whole system is crashing.

Do you count this year as year for eligibility for everyone?

Do you bump the scholarship limit up for the 2021 season as there 27 FAU commits who are expected to enroll sometime next year/

What happens when students ask why do they have to pay athletic fees when there are no athletics?

I obviously do not know what exactly will happen, but college football will not look the same after this year.

Back to the top

Here’s my thing, the Power 5 conferences are scared of a mutiny from their 4-5 star recruited players.  The players that bring in Millions to each conference and university.  Power 5 Conferences are also scared of getting sued, what if a player plays and then gets sick.  Say for instance in a rare case a player loses his leg because of other complications because of Covid.  I have heard that  Covid can also affect the heart.  

The bigger schools can soak up the losses but smaller schools can’t.  I say the Group of 5 should continue and play, thus creating their own bubble system.  Schools like FAU can also have fans at games, think we have soo little season ticket holders to begin with. 

You can socially distance at FAU stadium easily.  Limit access to games for season ticket holders, we barely get 5,000 in the stadium anyways.  The Group of 5 can unify and follow a process of safety protocols within their own bubble system.  Who cares if Alabama wants to play, just think of any fan alive just wanting to see a game
of any team.  Then that fan asks why couldn’t the mighty SEC come up with a plan of action.  The Group of 5 can step out of the shadows of the Power 5.

If the Group of 5 just follows the leader and don’t try to come up with their own solutions the schools in those conferences lose the most.  Let’s see what happens.
Back to the top

faufan300 said

Here’s my thing, the Power 5 conferences are scared of a mutiny from their 4-5 star recruited players.  The players that bring in Millions to each conference and university.  Power 5 Conferences are also scared of getting sued, what if a player plays and then gets sick.  Say for instance in a rare case a player loses his leg because of other complications because of Covid.  I have heard that  Covid can also affect the heart.  

The bigger schools can soak up the losses but smaller schools can’t.  I say the Group of 5 should continue and play, thus creating their own bubble system.  Schools like FAU can also have fans at games, think we have soo little season ticket holders to begin with. 

You can socially distance at FAU stadium easily.  Limit access to games for season ticket holders, we barely get 5,000 in the stadium anyways.  The Group of 5 can unify and follow a process of safety protocols within their own bubble system.  Who cares if Alabama wants to play, just think of any fan alive just wanting to see a game
of any team.  Then that fan asks why couldn’t the mighty SEC come up with a plan of action.  The Group of 5 can step out of the shadows of the Power 5.

If the Group of 5 just follows the leader and don’t try to come up with their own solutions the schools in those conferences lose the most.  Let’s see what happens.
Posted On: Aug 10th 2020, 4:54 PM #395650

You can not bubble the team.

They are not employees and you can not force them to lock down in a dorm 18 hours a day when they are not a football.

We have the same liability issues the P5 schools do.

No one wants to take .000001 chance something happens when they were told it could be dangerous.
Back to the top
Control functions: