FAU 2019 Fall Camp - Discussion, Hopes, Predictions
So we're less than two weeks from players reporting (Aug. 1) and we're still waiting on the full fall camp schedule to be sent out. I started thinking about some early predictions and things I hope we'll see this summer. Nothing major, it's stuff I'm sure we'll be discussing throughout the next couple weeks, but stuff on my mind.
- We don't know the starting quarterback until Aug. 31 unless something catastrophic happens. If Robison or Tronti goes down late in camp or something else happens - and Shane somewhat disagrees with me on this - I could see Kiffin just saying, "We'll work ____ into the mix and get him some first-team reps but right now, Tronti/Robison is probably our guy."
- Jordan Merrell is going to tear it up in scrimmages. No idea how much he'll play when the season starts, but if they really like him outside, he'll play when the season starts. Way too many questions about outside.
- Jalen Joyner is going to climb the defensive line depth chart again. I'm curious to see if they prefer him at DT or DE with Charles Cameron leaving. Joyner has skills and he's a serious breakout candidate.
- Larry McCammon impresses and carves a niche for himself. I hate even making this comparison because of how good Motor was, but remember when Motor started his freshman year as the 4th-string RB who would get a carry or three in the first few games because they knew how explosive he was and would be? I think that'll be McCammon's role if all goes well.
- Logan McLeod stands out at kicker. Not saying Vladi Rivas won't improve or even start, but McLeod's got a good leg and he won't make it easy to write him off. McLeod had a great attitude when I spoke to him after he committed. He's confident and sure of himself in a good way.
- I hope for no injuries or anything bad. Duh.
- I hope Dante Cousart has a good camp. He's a grinder and had that awful injury last year. I think he'll be the second slot again and keep starting at punt returner. Kiffin loves him.
- I hope most of the scrimmages are open and fans come out to see the media strolling the sidelines. I mean, to see the players. Yes, of course.
Jumping ahead a bit, this is what I see "coming out" of the camp experience and "testing" sessions:
- Robison returns to take the field at Ohio State…No it's not the fan favorite decision, but I'm going that route in the end. However, short leash, and won't last long unless he's able to move the chains with his head.
- No one will "see" the offense until Week One, but we will be a run first team, and could possibly run "two tight end sets" at times with non-traditional format, and eventually begin sprinkling in a creative pass game as it develops more and wrinkles become needed.
- A wide receiver will emerge from the pack as the leader, and possibly surprise some folks (see Lestar Jean).
- Even though Singletary and Whyte are gone, we will still hold a formidable advantage over the opposition provided we can run plays quickly enough and don't have another less than desirable 3rd down conversation percentage.
- Vladi Rivas is finished.
Friday, Aug. 2: 9 a.m. – 11:15 a.m.
Saturday, Aug. 3: 9 a.m. – 11:15 a.m.
Sunday, Aug. 4: 9 a.m. – 11:15 a.m.
Monday, Aug. 5: 9 a.m. – 11:15 a.m.
Tuesday, Aug. 6: 9 a.m. – 11:15 a.m. First Full Pads
Wednesday, Aug. 7: NO PRACTICE
Thursday, Aug. 8: 9 a.m. – 11:15 a.m.
Friday, Aug. 9: 9 a.m. – 11:15 a.m.
Saturday, Aug. 10: 9 a.m. – 11:15 a.m. - SCRIMMAGE - OPEN
Monday, Aug. 12: 9 a.m. – 11:15 a.m
Tuesday, Aug. 13: 9 a.m. – 11:15 a.m.
Wednesday, Aug. 14: 9 a.m. – 11:15 a.m
Thursday, Aug. 15: 9 a.m. – 11:15 a.m.
Friday, Aug. 16: 9 a.m. – 11:15 a.m.
Saturday, Aug. 17: 9 a.m. – 11:15 a.m. – SCRIMMAGE - OPEN
Sunday, Aug. 18: MEDIA DAY
Monday, Aug. 19: 9 a.m. – 11:15 a.m.
Tuesday, Aug. 20: 9 a.m. – 11:15 a.m.
Wednesday, Aug. 21: 9 a.m. – 11:15 a.m.
Thursday, Aug. 22: 9 a.m. – 11:15 a.m.
Friday, Aug. 23: 9 a.m. – 11:15 a.m.
Saturday, Aug. 24 – Mock Scrimmage – CLOSED
- Logan McLeod stands out at kicker. Not saying Vladi Rivas won't improve or even start, but McLeod's got a good leg and he won't make it easy to write him off. McLeod had a great attitude when I spoke to him after he committed. He's confident and sure of himself in a good way.Posted On: Jul 20th 2019, 1:13 PM
I mentioned in the story that’s in today’s paper Furman transfer kicker Aaron Shahriari (think it’s pronounced like Ferrari) is expected to be eligible. Normally kicking battles aren’t too exciting, but I want to see this one, especially if Rivas is healthy and he’s confident. Greg Joseph’s spoken highly of Rivas.
One more day until camp!
teambeer saidDon’t we have an Aussie Rulues Football guy joining too? Is he a punter?Posted On: Aug 1st 2019, 11:57 AM
I saw a tweet the other day saying he was coming, but online roster hasn’t been updated. And he wasn’t among the listed June arrivals.
First up Brandon Walton…do a little dance.