Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU Tightend John Raine Enters the Transfer Portal

Not sure it would have made a difference, but it would have been nice Bryant put on a show one last time in the bowl game.
Back to the top

I don't think so. Pro teams know exactly what they are looking for. Physical and mental. It has become a science. Yes there are intangibles.  But for the most part they go strictly numbers.  He will be fine. Just needs the right team .
Back to the top

Local Owl said

I don't think so. Pro teams know exactly what they are looking for. Physical and mental. It has become a science. Yes there are intangibles.  But for the most part they go strictly numbers.  He will be fine. Just needs the right team .
Posted On: Apr 7th 2020, 7:28 AM #394608

Agree.  Production statistically does not equal high draft slot.  Especially at a position like TE.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

Rankings also depend who you look at. Kiper has Bryant ranked as the second best TE in the draft. Also tough to say he had a questionable combine performance when he was the all combine team for TE. Bryant probably 3rd to 4th round if I had to guess
Back to the top

cbboarder said

Local Owl said

Just wait till…..
Posted On: Apr 5th 2020, 11:37 AM #394583

Robison enters the portal and Willie T jr is named our starting QB.

There finished it for you……
Posted On: Apr 5th 2020, 11:42 AM #394584

So, I'm not the only one having this nightmare!
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

Local Owl said

This is an inevitable reality of college football today. Just  till they start getting money. It will be a revolving door of players. Good players at small schools will all want to be at a schools that can offer them the most.
Posted On: Apr 5th 2020, 9:58 AM #394582
Exactly! This transfer "portal" is just a new way for the Big Boys to poach away those they have missed! Did we actually get the JUCOTE we heard had committed??? Even more important now! That or Raine saw the new O was gonna not throw to TE's as much???
Posted On: Apr 6th 2020, 9:08 AM #394588
Yes, but he is not going to get here until the summer- if there even is one.

It's tough to ask any new receivers or tightened to make a huge difference when they can not work with the QB's or learn the offense in person.

The longer this goes on might make 2020 a throwaway season for FAU or any school that made a coaching change.

We have seen mistakes on defense early in seasons with a new DC every year for the last 5 seasons.

Now imagine what those mistakes could be while replacing basically your entire front seven, three top CB's and starting FS.

FAU by far is the most talented team in CUSA, but a team like WKU who returns basically the entire coaching staff and some 15 plus starters makes them a favorite this year.
Back to the top

Going out on a limb here, we'll see if it is correct:

Raine is pursuing academic options over playing football.

Unless he is going to be an Athletic Administrator, Speech Pathologist, Accountant, or Ocean Engineering devotee, a change in a Masters school may suit him best.

He's a Management major.

We're not in the top 50 Master's of Management according to this site:

50 Best Master's in Management Degrees | College Choice

Not saying he would't possibly have some NFL interest, but seems a career choice focus at a school with more to offer away from football might be a great risk "management" option to exercise right now.

Again we'll see…

Maybe he ends up at USF.

They are Top 100…

FAU is 138.
Back to the top

Rick said

Going out on a limb here, we'll see if it is correct:
Posted On: Apr 7th 2020, 10:20 PM #394613
there is no difference between top 100 & 150. If he’s transferring because of academic reasons, then he’d have to go to a Vanderbilt or duke. Only a top 10 degree would be worth the change. 

Everything else below schools like that is the same. FAU is a really good school and some of our grads go on to be incredibly successful. Putting another marginally higher ranked school on your resume ain’t gonna make much of a difference. 

With that said, it’s his life. I hope he does what he thinks is best for him. Support him no matter what. 

ROLL OWLS
Back to the top

If anything I would of thought Raine staying here would help is pro prospects, with Motor and especially if Bryant has a good rookie year. He’d be the next man up to go pro after Bryant. I think Raine could play at the next level. But it’s history. Now it’s time to have a great tight end depth chart without him. 
Back to the top

jgf2017 said

If anything I would of thought Raine staying here would help is pro prospects, with Motor and especially if Bryant has a good rookie year. He’d be the next man up to go pro after Bryant. I think Raine could play at the next level. But it’s history. Now it’s time to have a great tight end depth chart without him. 
Posted On: Apr 8th 2020, 12:25 AM #394615

Curious what position you think he would play in the NFL? At 6'1" I doubt he's playing TE.
Back to the top
Control functions: