Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

I forgot to come back and say good game, thanks for rescheduling us & next year

AND pray for no injuries
Back to the top

Local Owl said

Without researching it, I can't remember FAU  scheduling a "warm up game". We start with the toughest game of the year. Florida, Oklahoma,  Ohio State, Alabama , Miami. Make sure the check clears and move on .
Posted On: Feb 2nd 2021, 5:59 AM #400354

"MAKE SURE THE CHECK CLEARS AND MOVE ON!!" Bwha, ha, ha, ha - understood:cool:
Back to the top

Local Owl said

Without researching it, I can't remember FAU  scheduling a "warm up game". We start with the toughest game of the year. Florida, Oklahoma,  Ohio State, Alabama , Miami. Make sure the check clears and move on .
Posted On: Feb 2nd 2021, 5:59 AM #400354

Like I said you take the P5 when they want to schedule you for the big bucks. If you have to start with Florida then that's the way it is.
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

AND pray for no injuries
Posted On: Feb 2nd 2021, 8:21 AM #400356

IMO, aS long as your players use sound technique then you should have many injuries unless they are minor.
Back to the top

The problem with these P5 games early in the season and the reason why we haven’t been competitive.

The good seasons we’ve had recently we’ve never come back opening day with enough players back. In 2018 we had a new QB and a lot of key players gone. In 2020 there was no Robison and key players gone. If we ever return enough players after a good year like at least the QB we could maybe have a chance at winning one of these games. We almost beat Florida one year.

Another problem is that I don’t know if our S&C program will be in full effect for a season opener. It usually takes months for it to be clicking on all cylinders hence the wining streaks in 2017 and 2019. I watched the Dolphins in the 90’s win early in the season but once teams got their S&C going late in the season we would struggle.
Back to the top

!aa/FCS GSU vs Florida

If GSU could do it so can you. Youll like the 2nd half better!

Back to the top

You know I totally forgot that GSU beat UF. I remember it now. Yes, anything can happen against these good teams on the road provided they’re not in the middle of a dynasty. 

I wonder how much of your team returned that year. Every good year we have we lose everyone.
Back to the top

jgf2017 said

You know I totally forgot that GSU beat UF. I remember it now. Yes, anything can happen against these good teams on the road provided they’re not in the middle of a dynasty.

I wonder how much of your team returned that year. Every good year we have we lose everyone.
Posted On: Feb 4th 2021, 8:40 PM #400419
WE had a large amout of good players come back that year. The problem was that we played Florida the last game of the season, which I liked, but we we had 17 players out in GSUs first string, 2nd string and special teams. THe most GSU players out because of injures in its history. We had 30 players out in our first game last year , but it was because of Covid. The Florida team had 14 players out and made a big deal out of that on one of their boards untill I told them we had 17 players out, were an FCS team and they were a FBS SEC team whos replacements were FBS, SEC calaber so they should have been able to fill  their positions much easer than us. If you notice the Florida Defense they tried many times to stack their outside LBs over the tackels to try and confuse the Southerns QB. THe Florida LB, and Tackel could switch takiin the QB on the inside or Pitch on the outside. It didnt work for them.Our best QB did playand had the most yards on offense. As you can  see in the 2nd half the Florida defense played very poor asigmnent football which let us break big rushing plays against them.

THe other bennifit Southern had was that we used the "Flex Triple Option, and used cut blocking "not chop blocking" against their bigger linemen and LBs. Because our QB was under center its much harder for the defense to read the full back handoff. If the blocking isnt their for the Full Back read he fakes the handoff the QB runs closely to the kine and looks for the keep or pitch key. If the block has been done right then their should be 2 offensive player, QB7Pitch man on the defensive pitch contain.Our QB got a lot of running room that day.

THe Gun Option that we use now shows no surprize to the opponents Defense because we are set so far back for the running game. THe Gun OPtion was supposed to increase passing %age and yardage but it hasnt. Like I said earlyer it will be interesting to see if our neew OC can make the GUN OPTION work the way its supposed to work,

GO OWLS-BEAT FLORIDA

TALON!
Back to the top

Head Coach at Alabama talking about the game GSU had against them using the Flex Triple Option. Our QB at the time was a great triple option play reader, but was not quick at all and did not have break away speed!GSU was more successful using the FLEX TRIPLE option than we have be using the Gun Double Option over the last 5 years.. So why change? Dont get me wrong we were a power house the first to years we ran the Gun Option with a new HC and his staff but he left after 2 years and GSU has struggled for the past 5 years. We had 3 HC coaching changes in on year untill we finally kept the HC that is their now!

https://twitter.com/i/status/1348855783392481281

***Has your Football Program had any trouble with weak ADs and high powered doners calling the shots??? GSU HAS!

GO OWLS - BEAT FLORDA AND DRAIN THEIR STINKKING SWAMP
:Yawn:  !!!

TALON
Back to the top

Douge Ruse comes back to Georgia Southern as new Offensive Coordinator. He was a big sucess the first 2 years he was at GSU when we first addopted the Gun Option under Head Coach Fritz and staff for those 2 years..

I hope he can turn around our Gun Option and get the states and scores on offense that he did in 2014 and 2015. Still I believe that he will have to bring in a new offensive line coach. GSU fans are all waiting to see if he gets his way with Offensive .

It will be interesting in our second game to see he does against your new Defensive Coordinater!

Doug Ruse short bio -

Ruse came to Statesboro in 2014 after serving for the previous two seasons at Sam Houston State as the offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach, the same position he filled at Georgia Southern.

In two years in Statesboro, Ruse’s offense averaged 37.7 points per game and led the FBS in rushing both seasons. In his debut season with the Eagles, Georgia Southern won the Sun Belt title with an 8-0 record and the Eagles won their first bowl game in 2015, the GoDaddy Bowl.

In 2014, Ruse had three first-team All-Sun Belt Conference honorees in Matt Breida (RB), Manrey Saint-Amour (OL) and Garrett Frye (OL), along with second-team honoree Kevin Ellison (QB). In 2015, Breida was again named first-team all-conference after leading the nation yards in yards per carry, as was offensive lineman Darien Foreman.

In Ruse’s first of two seasons at Sam Houston State, the Bearkats ranked among the top 10 in the 2012 FCS national rankings in four major offensive statistics and Ruse was a finalist for FCS Coordinator of the Year Award. Sam Houston State was the only NCAA FCS team to average more than 40 points a game in both of the those years and became in 2012 only the third team in NCAA FCS history to score 600 points in a single season.

Over his two seasons at SHSU, the Bearkats racked up 50 or more points in a game on 11 occasions, showcasing an offense that dominated opponents. Ruse’s offense in 2012 also produced school records with 6,878 yards of total offense yards and an average of 268.3 rushing yards per game en route to a Southland Conference title, an 11-4 record and NCAA FCS finals appearance.

Looking forward to our game at your place - I think:Thinking:Go OWLS-BEAT FLORIDA

TALON
Back to the top
Control functions: