Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

jgf2017 Thread: Taggart Jr & No Transfer QB

For the team's sake, I hope you are wrong. For the sake of a lot of uneaten crows… Well lets just see
Back to the top

A Qb may not be brought in until after spring. Tronti may or may not transfer thats up to him. Kid has been all class. I do know I am excited about the direction of the program. We just had the best defense in program history and we have an influx of offensive talent coming in. Taggart jr was a true freshman with no spring. He played wr instead of QB which was his position. Excited about him too. Go owls!
Back to the top

1OwlFLATL said

A Qb may not be brought in until after spring. Tronti may or may not transfer thats up to him. Kid has been all class. I do know I am excited about the direction of the program. We just had the best defense in program history and we have an influx of offensive talent coming in. Taggart jr was a true freshman with no spring. He played wr instead of QB which was his position. Excited about him too. Go owls!
Posted On: Jan 8th 2021, 5:03 PM #399851

Posey is going to get better too. If he can just be what he was at FIU more consistently, we’ll be fine
Back to the top

Posey needs time to get better at things though. The alarming thing is that he fumbles even when he had the ball tucked away. That could be a problem his whole career. Obviously his throwing mechanics need work and to learn how to pick up blitzes. I think he’d be better off as a receiver.

I looked at Johnson Jr.’s mechanics and they are sound, a lot better than Posey’s to say the least. 

But Taggart Jr. can’t throw more than 20 yards with air under it so it’s very concerning he will be anywhere near the top of the depth chart.

There’s this assumption that Taggart will be a big success here. I don’t think it’s that simple. What needs to happen is for our talent to be so great that it doesn’t matter anymore the near team mutiny that could happen because of Jr.

One thing that hasn’t been touched on that could’ve been a huge reason for the offense’s struggles this year is not having the team together for every week and every game. Our strength and conditioning Might have had a hard time with all the stoppages. For instance the last 3 years under Kiffin the S&C kicked into high gear as the end of the season approached. There wasn’t that continuity this year. That could’ve been a big reason for the struggles the team had and that isn’t Taggart’s fault.
Back to the top

"One thing that hasn’t been touched on that could’ve been a huge reason for the offense’s struggles this year is not having the team together for every week and every game. Our strength and conditioning Might have had a hard time with all the stoppages. For instance the last 3 years under Kiffin the S&C kicked into high gear as the end of the season approached. There wasn’t that continuity this year. That could’ve been a big reason for the struggles the team had and that isn’t Taggart’s fault."

This is 100% true and why I never allowed myself to get too high or low on this season.  Literally am trying not to judge anything from this season.  On one hand, we overcame a lot to still win a good number of games.  Other hand, the last 3 games were some of the worst I've seen us play in years.

Going to just keep my thoughts even keel until next fall.  2020 was a year of scrimmages.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

I really feel the biggest loss from the 2019 team, besides probably Chris Robison because of the timing and all that there, was Wilson Love. Wilson was the guy. Look how lethargic the sideline was late in the year early in games when FAU only trailed by 7. That never would have happened in Wilson’s time here. 

Twitter: @JakeElman97
Back to the top

What I think, and again I’m not 100% sure, but I think that even when coaches leave like Kiffin the team keeps it’s S&C program in place. If the S&C was great it can stay that way. One of the reasons I thought Taggart would succeed is that the S&C wouldn’t miss a beat under Guarisco. 

The S&C was why Kiffin succeeded. I think that once there is continuity it’ll be like it was under Kiffin. By Memphis the guys looked in pretty good shape.
Back to the top

I don’t want to derail the thread. But Chase and Young would be the last players that wouldn’t like Taggart because of Jr.
They were gifted starting jobs. They both didn’t even play late in the year. Chase got benched because of poor play. He’s one of those guys that are just lazy. I don’t know why anyone would be excited about him coming back. I’m not sure why Young stopped playing although I think him coming back has a lot to do with him being an MBA student.

You can’t distort reality. Taggart has a reputation as not being a good coach to play for if you’re a transfer QB. You can analyze all the film you want of USF and Oregon, that’s his reputation. And I don’t see QB’s flocking here at the moment. And it’s a lot later in the offseason as far as QB transfers go than you might think.

Back to the top

jgf2017 said

What I think, and again I’m not 100% sure, but I think that even when coaches leave like Kiffin the team keeps it’s S&C program in place. If the S&C was great it can stay that way. One of the reasons I thought Taggart would succeed is that the S&C wouldn’t miss a beat under Guarisco. 

The S&C was why Kiffin succeeded. I think that once there is continuity it’ll be like it was under Kiffin. By Memphis the guys looked in pretty good shape.
Posted On: Jan 12th 2021, 12:48 PM #399925

Taggart mentioned they missed 70 percent of their normal S&C this year. I can’t evaluate the S&C until next year. He also mentioned the team needed to get bigger and not be smaller than the teams that they play. 
Back to the top

jgf2017 said

I don’t want to derail the thread. But Chase and Young would be the last players that wouldn’t like Taggart because of Jr.
They were gifted starting jobs. They both didn’t even play late in the year. Chase got benched because of poor play. He’s one of those guys that are just lazy. I don’t know why anyone would be excited about him coming back. I’m not sure why Young stopped playing although I think him coming back has a lot to do with him being an MBA student.

You can’t distort reality. Taggart has a reputation as not being a good coach to play for if you’re a transfer QB. You can analyze all the film you want of USF and Oregon, that’s his reputation. And I don’t see QB’s flocking here at the moment. And it’s a lot later in the offseason as far as QB transfers go than you might think.

Posted On: Jan 14th 2021, 7:25 PM #399984

They have 1 transfer QB already. Why rush? I would look at spring practice then decide if you need another one unless a good player is on the market.  If he has that reputation who are the other transfer QBs that he coached to give him that reputation? 
Back to the top