Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Observations: Marshall 2020

faufan300 said

We are in the 21st century and we have seen every type of play call, scenario and also can integrate old school tactics with analytics. We played hard but the D cannot carry the team all the time.  The D will win us at most another 2 games and the others we need the Offense to get it going or they will equate to losses.

I’m not sold on Tronti’s arm, Chase had to jump like Randy Moss to catch some of those terrible passes.  I say we change and implement a triple option.  Tronti is great at running and maybe can thrive in an offense like that.  We are now in the 70’s ranked overall according to USA Today. We need consistency, I’m getting Partridge vibes with Taggart so far. I know we need time and he can recruit but so can Partridge. I just don’t like Taggart calling plays period.  

Our D is super legit we are probably 2 back door td’s from a lower points per game allowed and I’m sure ranked up there nationally.  Leavitt is the real deal.  I think we beat UTSA but barely.
Posted On: Oct 27th 2020, 10:26 AM #397048

A "triple option'' would be nearly impossible to implement.

That offense takes (even one like WVU ran with Steve Slaton and Pat White back in the day) tons of time a feel.

They ran a lot of option and RPO's on Saturday, but being behind the sticks a lot hurt them and I thought Tronti made a couple of misreads when to keep or handoff.

We are going to have to live with the ups and downs of Tronti this year.

Remember the offenses started slowly under Lane as well with more practice and a more talented QB

Back to the top

Shane Marinelli OC40 said

faufan300 said

We are in the 21st century and we have seen every type of play call, scenario and also can integrate old school tactics with analytics. We played hard but the D cannot carry the team all the time.  The D will win us at most another 2 games and the others we need the Offense to get it going or they will equate to losses.

I’m not sold on Tronti’s arm, Chase had to jump like Randy Moss to catch some of those terrible passes.  I say we change and implement a triple option.  Tronti is great at running and maybe can thrive in an offense like that.  We are now in the 70’s ranked overall according to USA Today. We need consistency, I’m getting Partridge vibes with Taggart so far. I know we need time and he can recruit but so can Partridge. I just don’t like Taggart calling plays period.  

Our D is super legit we are probably 2 back door td’s from a lower points per game allowed and I’m sure ranked up there nationally.  Leavitt is the real deal.  I think we beat UTSA but barely.

That offense takes (even one like WVU ran with Steve Slaton and Pat White back in the day) tons of time a feel.

They ran a lot of option and RPO's on Saturday, but being behind the sticks a lot hurt them and I thought Tronti made a couple of misreads when to keep or handoff.

Remember the offenses started slowly under Lane as well with more practice and a more talented QB

Posted On: Oct 27th 2020, 12:02 PM #397052

I see players open. I went back and rewatched the game. Go back and look at the interception tronti threw towards logan peterson. He made the wrong read. Malcolm davidson is Wide open on the check down. He could pitch it to him underhand and he gains at least 20 yds. That is one area where I took CHris robison for granted. Chris made very fast reads and he usually went to the right place with the football. Driskel didnt have the arm of robison but he took care of the football.
Back to the top

1OwlFLATL said

Shane Marinelli OC40 said

faufan300 said

Posted On: Oct 27th 2020, 12:02 PM #397052

I see players open. I went back and rewatched the game. Go back and look at the interception tronti threw towards logan peterson. He made the wrong read. Malcolm davidson is Wide open on the check down. He could pitch it to him underhand and he gains at least 20 yds. That is one area where I took CHris robison for granted. Chris made very fast reads and he usually went to the right place with the football. Driskel didnt have the arm of robison but he took care of the football.
Posted On: Oct 27th 2020, 4:54 PM #397054

I agree there was another one where he had Chase for an easy first on a second down and threw deep.

We did not convert on that third.

I do believe Tronti will get better throughout the season.

Back to the top

I don’t know what’s up with the long throws which are always way past the receiver, who gets caught up with the DB. I don’t know if the receiver isn’t getting separation and down the sideline or if it’s Tronti’s fault. Although a lot of those throws there’s not a lot of time Tronti had with the pass rush.

I’m a little worried about how we’re going to score this game coming up. I had noticed that Tronti isn’t that great with knowing when or not to hand it off or keep it. And he’s having trouble with perfect shotgun snaps bobbling the ball. If we get the tackles back and Irvin I do think we should try to win the game on the ground. But now we’ve got running backs out too. I just don’t know how we score from now on.
Back to the top

I still think Tronti’s a better passer than people think. But I thought the fact he is Mr. Football Florida meant that he was probably a really good passer. And also, he has made some mistakes on when to hand it off or keep it, which is even more surprising. Also, he needs to stop bobbling perfect shotgun snaps from Weber. 

But I don’t know if our receivers are having trouble creating separation right at the beginning of the play on these deep throws. It seems like our talk receivers are getting bumped and held up at the line of scrimmage from the corners and that’s really surprising they can’t get down the field quicker without having trouble getting past the corners near the line of scrimmage. I’m not sure these overthrown deep balls are Tronti’s fault. It seems like the receivers need to get downfield quick without having trouble with getting held up.
Back to the top
Control functions: