Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

The downward spiral

At my previous company I had a co-worker who played for Taggart at WKU when he was there.  This came up in a convo as he told me he played fbs football and I asked how Taggart was as a coach. He literally told me that Taggart does not care about anyone but himself and that most players hated him.  He was on the OL and he mentioned that Taggart would show that he didn’t care.  This has always stuck with me even wen we hired him.

Taggarts track record as a coach does not warrant him getting these big jobs.  Brian white wanted an easy way out and now we are losing exposure before we get to the American.  I have been to about 75+ games and seen us play the best and worst opponents.  The WKU game was the idc anymore about this team game in my eyes similar to the Charlie K-st. Blowout of 60 points for me.  

There is a breaking point and that WKU was that point, we are not good and we should just not try next week.  Some other deserving team that’s deserving should play for a bowl.  This is like a bar rescue episode we need a complete redo, from the top to the bottom. The special teams is lost, the Ol gives about 7 sacks a game and present no pressure, the long ball throws are not needed went you can’t convert.  

We need a coach that wants to thrive here, Taggart is not that. He’s a rehash, rethread like Malzhn and Coach O etc.  
UTSA has played less games than us and have been a household name this year,  we need a magical year like that and with Taggart that won’t come to fruition.  

If we lose on Saturday which we will as a realist MTSU is like Troy and Marshall and have always had our number.  I think Taggart should be relieved  of his duties.  I think also there is a level of favoritism, how come Willie Wright and others never see the field. Why can’t we switch up the lineup give others a chance to shine.  Why not throw Michael Johnson in some of these CUsa body games, and see what he looks like.  Nope  we don’t even know if he’s the real deal,  the Jordan Love of the team. R

What do you think? If we lose a close game should Taggart be fired? If so what’s  a name that you would want as the next coach?  
Back to the top

I saw an article talking about the Taggart hire. It warned that it is often that a retread will not have the same passion that they had at their dream job. Look at Charlie Strong at USF, Tuberville at Cincy, etc…

Taggart has his money now (BIG buyout from FSU), so the passion might not be there as much as his WKU and USF days when he was up and coming. If he fails here, does he truly care? If he succeeds, great. But if not? He has it made and is still collecting checks no matter what happens.
Back to the top

faufan300 said

At my previous company I had a co-worker who played for Taggart at WKU when he was there.  This came up in a convo as he told me he played fbs football and I asked how Taggart was as a coach. He literally told me that Taggart does not care about anyone but himself and that most players hated him.  He was on the OL and he mentioned that Taggart would show that he didn’t care.  This has always stuck with me even wen we hired him.

Taggarts track record as a coach does not warrant him getting these big jobs.  Brian white wanted an easy way out and now we are losing exposure before we get to the American.  I have been to about 75+ games and seen us play the best and worst opponents.  The WKU game was the idc anymore about this team game in my eyes similar to the Charlie K-st. Blowout of 60 points for me.  

There is a breaking point and that WKU was that point, we are not good and we should just not try next week.  Some other deserving team that’s deserving should play for a bowl.  This is like a bar rescue episode we need a complete redo, from the top to the bottom. The special teams is lost, the Ol gives about 7 sacks a game and present no pressure, the long ball throws are not needed went you can’t convert.  

We need a coach that wants to thrive here, Taggart is not that. He’s a rehash, rethread like Malzhn and Coach O etc.  
UTSA has played less games than us and have been a household name this year,  we need a magical year like that and with Taggart that won’t come to fruition.  

If we lose on Saturday which we will as a realist MTSU is like Troy and Marshall and have always had our number.  I think Taggart should be relieved  of his duties.  I think also there is a level of favoritism, how come Willie Wright and others never see the field. Why can’t we switch up the lineup give others a chance to shine.  Why not throw Michael Johnson in some of these CUsa body games, and see what he looks like.  Nope  we don’t even know if he’s the real deal,  the Jordan Love of the team. R

What do you think? If we lose a close game should Taggart be fired? If so what’s  a name that you would want as the next coach?  
Posted On: Nov 21st 2021, 11:22 PM #405369

Unfortunately given the money situation, I don’t think he’ll be fired until next year and then he’ll never coach in FBS again. I would like to see him go after this year. Lane set the bar for us we need to live up to those expectations. I fear that if we don’t make a move now, we’re going to be limping into the American as a rebuilding program and it’s going to take a while for us to be competitive again. I would like to see us hire Kendall Briles. He already has familiarity with the program and brings an innovative offensive approach which is what we need and also, stop relying so much on the damn transfer portal. We need to get back to building the program the right way
Back to the top

LawOwl said

faufan300 said

Posted On: Nov 21st 2021, 11:22 PM #405369

Unfortunately given the money situation, I don’t think he’ll be fired until next year and then he’ll never coach in FBS again. I would like to see him go after this year. Lane set the bar for us we need to live up to those expectations. I fear that if we don’t make a move now, we’re going to be limping into the American as a rebuilding program and it’s going to take a while for us to be competitive again. I would like to see us hire Kendall Briles. He already has familiarity with the program and brings an innovative offensive approach which is what we need and also, stop relying so much on the damn transfer portal. We need to get back to building the program the right way
Posted On: Nov 22nd 2021, 6:07 AM #405371

He should get the 3 years for sure IMO. Unless a school essentially goes winless in year 2, I think most coaches are owed the 3 years. Let them get their guys in there, and if they are still bad, they are gone. Same applies to us in 2022. If we are around 6-6 again, somebody else will be the coach in the AAC, and we will be fine.
Back to the top

No way Taggart is bought out after two years.
Administration would look foolish to admit that costly a mistake.
A number of FAU Men’s and Women’s sports are not even fully funded for scholarships now.
How would that look to spend money FAU does not have on a buyout.
Maybe donors could come up with buyout money, but most large donors are on his side.
Live with it for now, he will be here next year.
Sorry!
Back to the top

He should be but won't be. This team for two years in a row hit a peak and then collapsed. NO progress or player improvement AT ALL! NOT EVEN COMPETITIVE AGAINST ANY DECENT SQUAD!!!!!
Back to the top

He gets out prepared and coached….Then he doesn't take responsibility.

Go Owls!
Back to the top

FAU Fan said

No way Taggart is bought out after two years.
Administration would look foolish to admit that costly a mistake.
A number of FAU Men’s and Women’s sports are not even fully funded for scholarships now.
How would that look to spend money FAU does not have on a buyout.
Maybe donors could come up with buyout money, but most large donors are on his side.
Live with it for now, he will be here next year.
Sorry!
Posted On: Nov 22nd 2021, 6:47 AM #405373

In most circumstances you'd be correct, admission into the AAC changes the calculus for the FB program.  The AAC is taking a risk here and, let's call them "favors" were called in, for our acceptance.  We must be better in every aspect for this gamble to pay off for all parties.  This is not to say that I believe WT gets fired at the end of the season but it would not surprise me.

FAU, alumni, boosters, BOT members, and fans will be asked to step up their commitment and that may have to include a change at HC.
Back to the top

I don't have a magic crystal ball…but I am pretty sure most of this board would have wanted Willie fired after year 2 at USF.  Not saying this turnaround will happen here, not saying it wont.  Just saying, keep this in mind.

2016 is the only 10 win season in USF history.

South Florida Bulls (American Athletic Conference) (2013–2016)
2013   South Florida   2–10   2–6   8th         
2014   South Florida   4–8   3–5   7th   
----->>>>>>>>WE ARE CURRENTLY RIGHT HERE <<<<<<-------
2015   South Florida   8–5   6–2   2nd (East)   L Miami Beach      
2016   South Florida   10–2   7–1   T–1st (East)   Birmingham*   

My take, we don't have the talent on this team people think we do.  Lane didn't engage locally with fans/alumn, nor did he recruit anywhere near the level people think he did.  People assumed his on the field results matched his recruiting, not even close to reality.  Lane should be paying his ex-wife and Charlie Partridge alimony IMO.

Our offensive line play was culprit number 1 in our failure this year.  I want to see the Oline coach relieved of his duties, he just came from Michigan who went from zero to rushing hero since he left a year ago.

Secondly, Willie got handed nothing at QB.  Appreciate Nkosi coming and playing hard, we need the right QB.

Willie's got one more year to fix both challenges.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

I agree that we probably do not have the talent so many say we have this year.
Also, you are 100% correct that the O-line was our biggest downfall.
Back to the top
Control functions: