Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

This is the way the Shotgun option should look

This is the Shotgun Option GSU team that FAU does not want to see in 2020, The below 6min highlite videos are fro 2014 & 15 under HC fritz using FCS players. THe coaches that came after FRITZ were not able to duplicate the same results using the Shotgun Option to this point. (ITS CALLED EXICUTION)

This will give you an idea how the Shotgun option looks

2014 vs GT

2014 vs UNC

2015 vs UGA in overtime.
Back to the top

GSU can definitely be a dangerous foe, we WILL have to play well!
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

GSU can definitely be a dangerous foe, we WILL have to play well!
Posted On: Jan 29th 2020, 7:24 AM #393798

Depends on which GSU shows up. Those videos were from 4 years ago unde head coach fritz the way the Shotgun OPtion should be run. If the Blocking and intire offense doesnt improve Southern is in for a very average year.
Back to the top

The FLEX TRiple option ve the Shotgun Option

Iwould still rather run the FLEX or as Paul Johnson called it the Spread Triple Option. It uses cut blocking with a 3 foot line split, 2 wideouts, 2 slotbacks and a full back with QB under center. One of the slot backs goes
 into motion crossing behind the fullback and is used as the pitch man if needed . The other slot is a lead blocker to that side. Since it is basickly a passing formation addapted for use in the triple option attack the wideouts slots and even thr full back can be used as recevers using play action or strait back from the QB under center. The full back hits the LOS much faster and the Slotback and full back counters hit faster because of their close
proxcimiyy to the LOS. In 1985-86 we even had a Run&Shoot package along with the play action and regular roughts. Of course we had a great QB and all the wideouts and backs had good hands.

To me the Shotgun option starts to far back with the QB, Back or Backs to far from the LOS and can be read much better by the LBs and defensive backs using standup zone blocking. It is way to easy to read the back up the middle and the pitch man starts to far back and is covered to easaly.

That said HC Fritz ran it very well in 2014 &15 but the newer HC and staff havent been able to duplicate that yet.

On a positive note Southerns 3-4 defense has made great strids and become better in the last 2 years.
Back to the top

For those of you that really like the Xs & Os

This gives you the running play book on Fritzes Shotgun option and a break down on the types of plays used the most.

Willie Fritz’s Georgia Southern Run Game – Riley-Kolste Football
Back to the top

This is why the FLEX triple option can be deadly with the right QB and players. Behind 28-6 Georgia southern a t-option team gos to an all out passting attach, puts up 400 yards of passing and wins the game half way through the third. Not that a small offensive line that cut block 95% of the dime was also tought how to pass block. (GREAT COACHING)

Skip thtough the highlite video to 3min & 35sec.

Back to the top

I know you'll love this. GSU is 2-0 against F!U. The last time we played them the score was GSU 53 - FIU 32 in florida!
Back to the top

It’s going to be a great game probabl6 close. You’re by far the most tolerable fan that has come on here from a future opponent. FAU has started slow s couple seasons but with our QB Robison returning and much of the offense I don’t expect us to start slow 
Back to the top

jgf2017 said

It’s going to be a great game probabl6 close. You’re by far the most tolerable fan that has come on here from a future opponent. FAU has started slow s couple seasons but with our QB Robison returning and much of the offense I don’t expect us to start slow 
Posted On: Feb 2nd 2020, 1:28 PM #393892

jgf2017 said

Thank you for the compiment, jgf2017

FCS/1aa
In your first year of 1aa/FCS you went to the playoffs with a 11-3 record and ended up as ranked 4th.

In 2004 FAU moved to the SUN BELT under HC Snehnelleburger
2004,  9-3
2005,  2-9
2006, 5-7
2007, 8-5 Bowl win
2008, 8-5 Bowl win
2009,  5-7
201o,, 4-8
2011, 1-4

JUMP FORWARD TO CUSA & KIFFEN

2017, 11-3 Bowl win
2018, 5-7
2019 11-3 Bowm win

It looks like over your past you have had a lot of Ups and Downs.

***(QUESTIONS)***

(QUESTION 1) Now that Kiffen is gone who is your new HC and did Kiffen take some of hi staff with him???
(QUSESTION 2)  Do you think your new HC, staff will have a lag time after Kiffen's wins????????

Back to the top

jgf2017 said

*Well I have showed your fans what GSU could be like running the Shotgun Option under HC Fritz's 2014 & 15 Seasons.

*I told you that from 2016-17 GSU went trough 3 different head coachs & was really  poor example of GSU football.

*I also stated that GSU has made a fair comeback in 2018 & 19. The 3-4 defense has defitly improved but our Shotgun option really needs to evolve especially on the O-Line. ( THE TERM IS CONSISTANCTY)

******I would like some info on FAUs defense, offense and new coaching staff.
Back to the top
Control functions: