Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Trickett and Fairman Let Go

Stockstill made it work just fine and his kid beat us up pretty good.

Dabo Swinney is another, I haven’t checked Clemson’s record lately but I imagine he’s remained a professional all while having his kid on the team too. If I remember, their DC has his kid on the team too. 

It’s not that uncommon and like others have said, they’re both legit. 
Back to the top

Art Vandelay said

I imagine the Shanes and Jacks and (for ignorantly not knowing who they are) the "new-Jakes" will have better eyes for the goings-on in spring and summer camp, assuming COVID protocols are lifted before then. Hopefully that will be enough to lessen speculation of nepotism starting over talent. Given the roster, as is (I'm still refreshing for that rumored QB to be, not sass, genuine interest), I wouldn't immediately give in to shock and outrage if Johnson Jr was listed on the two-deep (now, Taggart Jr at WR, maybe if we got him some really, really sticky gloves…).
Posted On: Jan 16th 2021, 1:02 PM #400043

Why wouldn't Johnson be listed on the 2 deep??? He is the most talented QB on the roster.
Just take a look at his high school film. He was also an elite 11 finalist for a reason.
Back to the top

teambeer said

Stockstill made it work just fine and his kid beat us up pretty good.

Dabo Swinney is another, I haven’t checked Clemson’s record lately but I imagine he’s remained a professional all while having his kid on the team too. If I remember, their DC has his kid on the team too. 

It’s not that uncommon and like others have said, they’re both legit. 
Posted On: Jan 16th 2021, 3:40 PM #400044

He has a good track record and I'm all for the hire. You don't coach in the NFL for 10 years if you aren't good.
Back to the top

THE WILLIE WAGON said

Art Vandelay said

I imagine the Shanes and Jacks and (for ignorantly not knowing who they are) the "new-Jakes" will have better eyes for the goings-on in spring and summer camp, assuming COVID protocols are lifted before then. Hopefully that will be enough to lessen speculation of nepotism starting over talent. Given the roster, as is (I'm still refreshing for that rumored QB to be, not sass, genuine interest), I wouldn't immediately give in to shock and outrage if Johnson Jr was listed on the two-deep (now, Taggart Jr at WR, maybe if we got him some really, really sticky gloves…).

Why wouldn't Johnson be listed on the 2 deep??? He is the most talented QB on the roster.
Just take a look at his high school film. He was also an elite 11 finalist for a reason.
Posted On: Jan 16th 2021, 3:41 PM #400045

That's what I said, at least, I think that's what I said.
Back to the top

Art Vandelay said

“The new-Jakes.” Love ya, Art! 🤗

Taggart is hiring his friends and people that he feels comfortable around, which I guess I’m fine with. Johnson is more than qualified, although his lack of being an OC outside of the 2010 49ers at his age (54 in May) worries me a bit. (And no, not trying to be ageist! But we live in the time off the wunderkind young offensive mind, whether it’s Briles or Arthur Smith or McVay.)

I’m still of the school that it really helps to bring in people who you don’t know and who have had different life experiences on a staff. If you only surround yourself with your friends and people who won’t challenge you, it may not work. Look at the Adam Sandler films that he did with all of the SNL people. They made money but no one would call Grown Ups 2 or Jack & Jill a classic. No one would even call them “movies.”

I guess the football equivalent is going 8-4 in CUSA but it’s a weak 8-4 with a bad product…because you play in C-USA. 

Twitter: @JakeElman97
Back to the top

He was also OC at UCLA the following year.
Back to the top

Lane had his brother and dad on the staff at one point. Both qualified, both did an excellent job. I’m not worried about Willie hiring someone he has a relationship with whatsoever as long as they are qualified. 
Back to the top

I don't think we need to justify  the hire. He is more than qualified. I'm older than most of you with a longer work record, trust me, working with people you like makes it a nicer day. Why not have folks around you that you like and know can do the job. And it will keek both their kids working hard and setting examples. This is a good thing.
Back to the top

JakeElman said

Art Vandelay said

“The new-Jakes.” Love ya, Art! 🤗

Taggart is hiring his friends and people that he feels comfortable around, which I guess I’m fine with. Johnson is more than qualified, although his lack of being an OC outside of the 2010 49ers at his age (54 in May) worries me a bit. (And no, not trying to be ageist! But we live in the time off the wunderkind young offensive mind, whether it’s Briles or Arthur Smith or McVay.)

I’m still of the school that it really helps to bring in people who you don’t know and who have had different life experiences on a staff. If you only surround yourself with your friends and people who won’t challenge you, it may not work. Look at the Adam Sandler films that he did with all of the SNL people. They made money but no one would call Grown Ups 2 or Jack & Jill a classic. No one would even call them “movies.”

I guess the football equivalent is going 8-4 in CUSA but it’s a weak 8-4 with a bad product…because you play in C-USA. 

Posted On: Jan 16th 2021, 5:30 PM #400056

Sorry to derail everyone but this has to be addressed: Jake, maybe you missed the first round of Sandler movies bc you weren’t old enough (I’m ageist! :)) but Big Daddy, Wedding Singer, Billy Madison, Happy Gilmore and The Waterboy had every one of his buddies in them and they were all killer films for what they intended to be. 

As for the hire, he’s well qualified and if it helps land an elite 11 qb, even better. The last qb of that caliber in our program is one many on this board still pine over. FAU is not a program that demands the attention of that level of player. We are only grabbing a qb like that if A. They have baggage or B. Their dad coaches here. Let’s hope plan b is less drama. 
Back to the top

Plan B can solve a lot of drama
Back to the top
Control functions: