Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Way too early names to consider for potential coaching vacancy

My way to early Some names I’d be interested in:

Geoff Collins (former Ga tech/temple HC)
Frost 
Garrett Riley (TCU OC)
Alex Goelsch (UT OC) 
Manny Diaz 

At the end of the of day it’s a pipe dream to think you will hire a coach and they will stay forever to “build something” if they are successful they will move on and get a big pay day somewhere else. And there is nothing wrong with that. The good G5 programs attract good coaches. 
Back to the top

I would take Jim Leavitt over any of those guys. He's available so in theory he could walk in tommorow and stop the bleeding so you dont have to wait until January to sign him. He's was a DC at the American level so he knows the competition.  He also is known to the HS coaches in south florida. He's also known to the FAU players and fans and well liked down here.
Back to the top

voss749 said

I would take Jim Leavitt over any of those guys. He's available so in theory he could walk in tommorow and stop the bleeding so you dont have to wait until January to sign him. He's was a DC at the American level so he knows the competition.  He also is known to the HS coaches in south florida. He's also known to the FAU players and fans and well liked down here.
Posted On: Oct 2nd 2022, 10:02 AM #409018

I have always been a big fan of leavitt but his time as a HC has come and gone. Have you watched TCU or UT’s offense?

Geoff Collins won pretty big at temple and went to GA tech and had to transition them out of the triple offense which was always gonna be an impossible task. 

Manny Diaz I believe skipped the FAU type Job he needed and Miami made a panic hire. 

Frost kinda worries me like willie did. So I’m actually indifferent when it comes to frost 
Back to the top

DeltAlumnus said

voss749 said

Posted On: Oct 2nd 2022, 10:02 AM #409018

I have always been a big fan of leavitt but his time as a HC has come and gone. Have you watched TCU or UT’s offense?

Geoff Collins won pretty big at temple and went to GA tech and had to transition them out of the triple offense which was always gonna be an impossible task. 

Manny Diaz I believe skipped the FAU type Job he needed and Miami made a panic hire. 

Frost kinda worries me like willie did. So I’m actually indifferent when it comes to frost 
Posted On: Oct 2nd 2022, 10:07 AM #409019

Collins lost his last 9 games in a row….Ga Tech was getting worse and worse under his leadership.  I think he is a good guy and recruited S FL a lot.  But he had a pretty rough go at Ga Tech.

Leavitt is nearing 66.  Love the guy, but agree with your take.

Let’s let Manny stay on his own path.  I dont want to get into the continue Miami retreads.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

It needs to be an offensive mind.  Have to take advantage of the South Florida speed , rules that favor offense and you need to attract fans which FAU struggles to do

Collins was a big time failure at GT as well so no thanks

Frost unlike Willie had big success at the non power 5 level.  

The two OC options you mentioned seem fine.   Someone along those lines
Back to the top

Paging Alex Golesh, please pick up the nearest white courtesy phone.
Back to the top

I'll throw out a few of my favorite candidates here:

Glenn Spencer. He's 58, so he could get this HC job and probably stick around a while.

Kendall Briles. Great offensive mind, will be a good P5 candidate soon.

Jeff Lebby. Another great offensive mind, will be a P5 coach before too long. Has experience in the AAC, and in FL specifically.

Gino Guidugli. OC at Cincinnati, will be a good candidate once Luke Fickell moves onto a P5 job. Did great work with the UC offense the last few years, probably comfortable in the G5 schools, and knows the AAC.

I wouldn't look to pick up another failed/fired head coach. That's just buying a name. LK only made sense because he spent a few years working for Saban and developing. Taggart wasn't a good hire, and I was just ok with it.

FAU is a great place for an OC/DC to win, especially since we all agree that the talent, location, and facilities are pretty good here. If I'm Brian White, I'm firing Taggart once we're guaranteed another losing season. Then I'm calling a hot OC, who we could probably hire in our budget, since he's not a head coach.
Back to the top

David Slavic said

Glenn Spencer. He's 58, so he could get this HC job and probably stick around a while.

Jeff Lebby. Another great offensive mind, will be a P5 coach before too long. Has experience in the AAC, and in FL specifically.

Gino Guidugli. OC at Cincinnati, will be a good candidate once Luke Fickell moves onto a P5 job. Did great work with the UC offense the last few years, probably comfortable in the G5 schools, and knows the AAC.

I wouldn't look to pick up another failed/fired head coach. That's just buying a name. LK only made sense because he spent a few years working for Saban and developing. Taggart wasn't a good hire, and I was just ok with it.

FAU is a great place for an OC/DC to win, especially since we all agree that the talent, location, and facilities are pretty good here. If I'm Brian White, I'm firing Taggart once we're guaranteed another losing season. Then I'm calling a hot OC, who we could probably hire in our budget, since he's not a head coach.

Posted On: Oct 3rd 2022, 11:07 AM #409048
A lot of great names being thrown around here, but I understand that FAU are not that flush with money for the Athletic Program.
We are moving to the AAC with a less that desirable baseball stadium and basketball arena, both needing upgrades.
With a new interim President, Stacy Volnick starting in January, I just do not see us spending money on buyouts or new hires.
Wish it was different, just the way I see it.
Back to the top

FAU Fan said

A lot of great names being thrown around here, but I understand that FAU are not that flush with money for the Athletic Program.
We are moving to the AAC with a less that desirable baseball stadium and basketball arena, both needing upgrades.
With a new interim President, Stacy Volnick starting in January, I just do not see us spending money on buyouts or new hires.
Posted On: Oct 3rd 2022, 10:29 AM #409050

Look I agree about the financial resources issues. But I also know that we can't keep putting a bad product on the field. People won't buy tickets, much less season tickets, if the team throws away games like this.
Back to the top

FAU Fan said

David Slavic said

Posted On: Oct 3rd 2022, 11:07 AM #409048
Posted On: Oct 3rd 2022, 11:29 AM #409050

Kind of seeing things the same myself.

I have anxiety over who the next President is going to be and when.

We are as close to being FIU as are being UCF.

College sports is expensive and takes creative thinking a strong desire for success from all forms of leadership at a University to succeed.  Specifically President—>AD—->HC.  You get the wrong President in, who doesn't care about sports or thinks the costs are astronomical…things can go way further south.

Here's to hoping this change over goes well.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top
Control functions: