Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Way too early names to consider for potential coaching vacancy

walty12 said

3. Charlie Weis Jr
Knows the program and continued his success with Lane at Ole Miss this year

Am I the only person paying attention to Ole Miss this year?  Success?

Did I read John Gruden on here?     

BOT needs to get together $3m a year.  Go steal a HC that has proven they can win at a school like Troy, Toledo, etc.  Impress me, show me we can play the coach search the way a real college program can.  Don’t take a wing and a prayer.  Go hire a guy who is currently getting it done somewhere else.  
Posted On: Nov 27th 2022, 10:21 AM #410843

Yeah Ole miss was second in total offense in the SEC only behind Tennessee. They also were by far the top rushing team in the SEC which is what I really like the most. We have always been our best as a program when we run the ball. 

But I agree on your second point. If we can take a coach from another G5 program who has already had success that could be the best move. To actually compete in the American we will need to pay a coach. If we don’t what was the point of the move to begin win?

I’d bet USF pays their coach at minimum 2 million a year maybe 3. 
Back to the top

I would hope with all of the people on here talking about spending all of this money for a coach are doing their share of donating to the Athletic Department. (Paradise Club)
As a small school FAU still have a very small AD budget compared to those in CUSA and even more so in the AAC.
Back to the top

I have heard a lot of jobless head coaches, FBS head coaches perhaps looking to make a jump, positional coordinators and even HS coaches, but what about going after a FCS coach, whose just flying under the radar? Just for the sake of providing an example and bringing up a name, what about Bob Chesney at Holy Cross? I'm not in tune with every single college football program, let alone FCS football program, but this is just a name I'm familiar with being from Massachusetts and he has killed it as a coach, and I feel soon everyone in the nation will know once he makes his next jump are two. Any program he has been with he's elevated. Starting with Assumption, who he made a deep D2 playoff run with, before jumping to the cross town D1 program Holy Cross. Under Chesney’s guidance, Holy Cross has won FOUR straight Patriot League championships. Every year besides his first year, theyve made the FCS Playoffs and prior to that, they had only been in the playoffs twice in program history, last time being in 2009. Lastly hes a young guy, perfect opportunity for him to make a jump but not drastic jump (P5) and hopefully he'd stick around a bit. If its possible I say FAU take a look at him.
Back to the top

fauowls44 said

Without doing much research, my first call would be to Charlie Weiss Jr.  

Don’t know much about the other OC-types, but if we are going with an inexperienced HC, give me the guy that’s been around Lane for years.

Frost had great success with White’s brother at UCF, so he could be a real candidate here.  
Posted On: Nov 26th 2022, 8:00 PM #410808

Charlie Weiss Jr. has no HC experience and that is a must for our next hire.
After he left here and went to USF, they had the third worst offense in the AAC both years he was there.
My guess is Lane controls the offense at Ole Miss and Charlie arrived there as OC two years after Lane started.
Ole Miss lost the last three games of the season and 4 of last 5 games.
Pass on Charlie Weiss Jr. please.
Back to the top

I'm not there with Charlie. He's like 29 with no head coaching experience. Even if I  give him credit for being an offensive genius, but's he's never hired a DC, OC, ST coach, etc. Put together a recruiting plan, scheduled practices, etc. It's one thing if we have money to surround him with people that can do all that for him, but we don't. Let's get a head coach who has had some success. We need to be paying close to $2 million/yr with a pool that large+ for assistance if we want the next coach to have success
Back to the top

Yea Charlie Weis Jr is still 3-5 years away from being HC material. He still needs a lot of experience and he didn't do super well at USF as their OC.
Back to the top

Yeah pass on CW Jr. Also, do we have any insight on how much more revenue we’ll have in the American? We can probably put together a decent package of incentives for wins and bowl games, etc.
Back to the top

Bruce feldman wrote an article on coaches FAU should target - Chris Kiffin, Charlie Weis Jr, Kendal Briles, Manny Diaz, Willie Simmons, Ja'Juan Seider, Alex Atkins, George Helow

Back to the top

faufan2017 said

Bruce feldman wrote an article on coaches FAU should target - Chris Kiffin, Charlie Weis Jr, Kendal Briles, Manny Diaz, Willie Simmons, Ja'Juan Seider, Alex Atkins, George Helow

Posted On: Nov 27th 2022, 2:23 PM #410855

Offensive coach is needed to me .  Recruit the South Florida speed.  Tennessee and tcu oc's also work with that list.  
Back to the top

My outside of the box hat tosses:

Curt Cignetti

Jason Candle

G. J. Kinne

Wildcard: Neal Brown - if he is let go

These coaches are nominated based on the following criteria:

1. They have won where they have been
2. Where they have been, they have won
3. Did I mention that they are winners?

That's exactly what we need to go after.

Go Owls
Back to the top
Control functions: