Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Way too early names to consider for potential coaching vacancy

Rick said

My outside of the box hat tosses:

Curt Cignetti

Jason Candle

G. J. Kinne

Wildcard: Neal Brown - if he is let go

These coaches are nominated based on the following criteria:

1. They have won where they have been
2. Where they have been, they have won
3. Did I mention that they are winners?

That's exactly what we need to go after.

Go Owls

Posted On: Nov 27th 2022, 2:59 PM #410857

I actually like Jason Candle a lot 
Back to the top

Gary Patterson would be worth a call too. 
Back to the top

LawOwl said

Rick said

My outside of the box hat tosses:

Curt Cignetti

Jason Candle

G. J. Kinne

Wildcard: Neal Brown - if he is let go

These coaches are nominated based on the following criteria:

1. They have won where they have been
2. Where they have been, they have won
3. Did I mention that they are winners?

That's exactly what we need to go after.

Go Owls

Posted On: Nov 27th 2022, 2:59 PM #410857

I actually like Jason Candle a lot 
Posted On: Nov 27th 2022, 3:05 PM #410858

I also like Candle. But I’m more excited about our future in the American with a fresh start. Go Owls 🦉!!! 
Back to the top

Jason Candle does not ignite our move to the American.  He’s won 61% of games but is 1-4 in bowl games and has been subpar over the last few years.  Beating teams like Eastern Michigan and Akron is not worthy of a call.  We need a sexy hire that will boost attendance, I’m tired of the stadium looking half empty.  Brian white should be held accountable, I think our marketing is atrocious.
Changes need to be made.  Below is what I think from the names mentioned so far.

Jeff Lebby
Pro: offensive minded and with the right players can have the best in the nation. Con: his offense has been bad this year, seems lazy can you picture him recruiting I can’t

Jason candle
Pro: some G5 success, established coach.  Con: Resume is now jaw dropping to assume he will succeed in a harder conference.

Deion Sanders
Pro: lots of upside, players coach and bringing great recruits, get him you get his son who’s really good. Con: can easily get a power 5 job if he so pleases.

Charlie Weiss
Pro: Has grown through the ranks and is gaining a lot of experience, knows our history a s experienced success here. Con: too young a few more years and he would be a great candidate for us.

Kendall Briles
Pro: Was the oc in our record setting season, knows who we are and where we want to go.  Con: I think he wants people to suck up to him,  years ago we all thought he would be a good successor but bails after year 1 leaving us no choices.  His offense at Arkansas is Meh, clearly Lane called most of the plays and his father did also.

Art Briles:
Pro:  would bring his high uptempo spread scheme to south Florida, now that is scary. Con: the Baylor incident still is in the minds of some even though he was cleared, age he’s like 66 soo it would be a temporary time he’s here, plus I always found him to be arrogant.  But hey would score 66 points here and there.

Gary Patterson:
Pro:was the most successful G5 to  power 5 Coach in history in my opinion.  Transitioned TCU from many conferences and look now they reached their goal in the Big12. Con: He seems done once again age an issue and I think he wouldn’t be interested unless he did it for the love of the game.

Scott Frost:
Pro: had he stayed at UCF they would have been the first G5 school into the playoff. He could’ve kept it a well oiled machine, get into the Big12 then go to Nebraska. He left too soon and it cost him a lot. Con:  seems arrogant,  but tbh he knows this is his last chance if he came here.  Soo he would try harder and well maybe he can parlay it into tricking another power 5 to paying him a big contract.

Back to the top

faufan300 said

Jason Candle does not ignite our move to the American.  He’s won 61% of games but is 1-4 in bowl games and has been subpar over the last few years.  Beating teams like Eastern Michigan and Akron is not worthy of a call.  We need a sexy hire that will boost attendance, I’m tired of the stadium looking half empty.  Brian white should be held accountable, I think our marketing is atrocious.
Changes need to be made.  Below is what I think from the names mentioned so far.

Jeff Lebby
Pro: offensive minded and with the right players can have the best in the nation. Con: his offense has been bad this year, seems lazy can you picture him recruiting I can’t. Sooners are a top 20 offense this year averaging over 470 yds per game. I like Lebby an an option for our HC.

Jason candle
Pro: some G5 success, established coach.  Con: Resume is now jaw dropping to assume he will succeed in a harder conference. The MAC doesn't do anything for me and I don't know enough about this guy to have an educated opinion.

Deion Sanders
Pro: lots of upside, players coach and bringing great recruits, get him you get his son who’s really good. Con: can easily get a power 5 job if he so pleases. Kiffin like hire. Plus we need a QB in a really bad way….But won't happen.

Charlie Weiss
Pro: Has grown through the ranks and is gaining a lot of experience, knows our history a s experienced success here. Con: too young a few more years and he would be a great candidate for us.I assume you mean JR. I like it but if it went bad, it would go really bad. After USF, it makes you wonder if JR is just a stats guy and Lane makes all the calls.

Kendall Briles
Pro: Was the oc in our record setting season, knows who we are and where we want to go.  Con: I think he wants people to suck up to him,  years ago we all thought he would be a good successor but bails after year 1 leaving us no choices.  His offense at Arkansas is Meh, clearly Lane called most of the plays and his father did also. It's time for Kendall to make the jump to HC. If you hire Kendall you get Art (think Monty). 2 for 1 is a good thing.

Art Briles:
Pro:  would bring his high uptempo spread scheme to south Florida, now that is scary. Con: the Baylor incident still is in the minds of some even though he was cleared, age he’s like 66 soo it would be a temporary time he’s here, plus I always found him to be arrogant.  But hey would score 66 points here and there. See Kendall…

Gary Patterson:
Pro:was the most successful G5 to  power 5 Coach in history in my opinion.  Transitioned TCU from many conferences and look now they reached their goal in the Big12. Con: He seems done once again age an issue and I think he wouldn’t be interested unless he did it for the love of the game. This one never crossed my mind. Getting up there in age would be my only gripe…

Scott Frost:
Pro: had he stayed at UCF they would have been the first G5 school into the playoff. He could’ve kept it a well oiled machine, get into the Big12 then go to Nebraska. He left too soon and it cost him a lot. Con:  seems arrogant,  but tbh he knows this is his last chance if he came here.  Soo he would try harder and well maybe he can parlay it into tricking another power 5 to paying him a big contract. Yes a P5 retread but he's got more tread life than WT did and more success. He lost a lot of close games at Nebraska. I'd be okay with giving him the keys.

Go Owls!

Posted On: Nov 27th 2022, 7:49 PM #410868
Back to the top

I saw Chris Kiffin linked in two articles now, granted, the second article was probably citing the first article, but, if nothing else, that would be a fun story…would need an unequal sum of assistant salary toward the offense… We have to do this sooner than later, right? Between the verbal commits we have and the early signing period; and we don't want impulsive transfers…gotta let the kids know where they stand.
Back to the top

I think Chris Kiffin is a terrible idea. He's had several recruiting violations when he was a coordinator, and he's ditched college teams often to take NFL jobs. I really feel he hates recruiting and college football
Back to the top

faufan2017 said

Bruce feldman wrote an article on coaches FAU should target - Chris Kiffin, Charlie Weis Jr, Kendal Briles, Manny Diaz, Willie Simmons, Ja'Juan Seider, Alex Atkins, George Helow

Posted On: Nov 27th 2022, 2:23 PM #410855

damn….JaJuan Seider…. helluva team he had back then with Fred Taylor and Reidel Anthony…. his dad was a coach at Glades Day for many years….definitely would open up a pipeline to Glades Central and Pahokee…. been at some big programs recently…. interesting….

"What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight - it's the size of the fight in the dog."
-Dwight D. Eisenhower
Back to the top

Scott Frost, like Kiffin needs to repair rep and THIS is the place he can do that. BUT put in a SERIOUS BUYOUT in his contract so whomever hires him away pays BIG TIME. In today's college football economy, the P5 CAN afford it if they want him!
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

Scott Frost, like Kiffin needs to repair rep and THIS is the place he can do that. BUT put in a SERIOUS BUYOUT in his contract so whomever hires him away pays BIG TIME. In today's college football economy, the P5 CAN afford it if they want him!
Posted On: Nov 28th 2022, 7:27 AM #410881
Agree GeorgiaOwl with all you said.
Hope he is a consideration.
He has only had one winning season in his coaching career (13-0) at UCF in 2017.
Below .500 W/L record in 5 of 6 years coaching.
Big buyout package from Nebraska similar to what Taggart got from FSU and we know what happened here.
May need to be cautious on this one.
Back to the top
Control functions: