Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Way too early names to consider for potential coaching vacancy

owlfan1 said

Are we back on the fire Willie bandwagon?

Please review my post from last year. A lot of decision making has to go into this. This is the year to make or break. Realistically, we would be thinking things are a lot better with a win against Ohio and a win against UNT. Both games we should have won. The game against Purdue showed promise. Was that FAU being better than we expected, or Purdue being worse? UNT was embarrasing. Let's see how this thing unravels. A finish with fewer than 7 wins and time to start thinking new coach. This is the likely scenario as we need to win 5 out of 6 to hit 7 wins. Tough to do, but a late run keeps Willie on the sidelines next year. A less than impressive finish and he should be shown the door.

GO OWLS!!!
Posted On: Oct 8th 2022, 1:20 AM #409124

Conditionally? Yes.

Who is our new President? What's their agenda? When will we get them in place?

What'll it cost us to lose him? What do we have to get the new guy/gal? Who's the new guy/gal? After buying this guy or gal, what will we have left for the assistant coaching staff (didn't Lane accept a lower whatever to retain a higher assistant pool?? [was that an escape plan??])???

The Scoop had a thing-a-ma-bob…we were mentioned…rather Taggart. I don't have the link on hand. But. It weren't great. The Scoop. You know how to Google (when I was a freshman in high school, I had to take typing, and I honestly thought, out loud too, "Why do I need to take this class, I'll never need to use computers (AND THAT WAS THE [early] NINETIES!)." I was, am and will be an idiot. But I also don't have three million to burn.

If we had all the money… Well. I'd build us a new diamond. Because they deserve it. Then a new arena. Because that's the next most money maker (and attendance and viewership and atmosphere and buying-in is a snowball…). Then an in-door practice field because, well, it rains in Boca…

But then…

If we lose the FIU game, we should BURN THE DAMNED THING TO…. If we lose the FIU game, Dearmon should take the reins… If the contract says whatever it says, we should do that. METT-T (C is for suckers; not because we don't care about Civilians; it's redundant; hell, I'm one of those suckers now; a Civilian; statistically you are too; hearts and minds… This is an obvious, drunken aside… Reference AR 22-100; FM 7-8; superseded by the FM 3-21.8… I feel like this is a me thing now…)…

Fire Taggart? Who makes the better Cuban sandwich?

Back to the top

Does anyone know the status of Brian White being considered for other job opportunities? I am just thinking with President Kelly on his way out, and Brian White looking elsewhere, who would be leading the charge in the coaching search if the team continues to underperform and Willie is told to pack his things? 
Back to the top

Deion Sanders.  Talk about a coach that will be LK 2.0!  He’s already seen the blueprint of what FAU success can do for a coach! Worth the conversation.
Back to the top

jfann21 said

Deion Sanders.  Talk about a coach that will be LK 2.0!  He’s already seen the blueprint of what FAU success can do for a coach! Worth the conversation.
Posted On: Oct 9th 2022, 8:09 AM #409141

His name is already being thrown out for the GT and Auburn jobs. Someone is going to pay him 3-5 million a year. He already interviewed for TCU last year.
Back to the top

jfann21 said

Posted On: Oct 9th 2022, 7:09 AM #409141

I'd love it if he came here, but there's no way he comes to Boca. He's committed to coaching at an HBCU until he gets a P5 job, likely in the ACC where he's a good fit.
Back to the top

Not for nothing, and we definitely can't afford him, but Matt Rhule just because available.
Back to the top

David Slavic said

Not for nothing, and we definitely can't afford him, but Matt Rhule just because available.
Posted On: Oct 10th 2022, 11:30 AM #409147

I don't know, probably getting A LOT of $$$ from Carolina!!!
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

David Slavic said

Posted On: Oct 10th 2022, 10:30 AM #409147
I don't know, probably getting A LOT of $$$ from Carolina!!!
Posted On: Oct 10th 2022, 12:46 PM #409152
I'd love having him, but it's a pipe dream lol. He still had like 4 years left on a 62-million dollar contract. But I feel like he'd get snagged by a Colorado or some other Big12/Pac12 team, or go be OC under Saban once Bill O'Brien gets hired by one of the other P5 programs shopping for a new coach.
Back to the top

I like Weiss Jr. as a legit option. However, he may have already outgrown us and could be looking at a better option. Briles is also a name I like. Leavitt is legit as well. His baggage might still be haunting him though. 

I am going to throw one out there for the discussion. Does Scott Frost make a return to Florida? This is not my endorsement, just a name that might make its way into the mix at some point.

Certainly, not going to be a popular name here. However, seems as though we are in the position of taking coaches who are in need of a second chance and some redemption. Frost won big at UCF, and most of his losses at Nebraska were close. 22 one score losses. He probably still has lots of recruiting ties in the state of Florida.

Rumors are he had more issues than just losing. Numerous factors involved. Worth discussing though.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

I wouldn't be against Frost, he's shown he can coach successfully in the American. I just think that if FAU is moves away from Taggart it has to be with ample time to make an impact/avoid a disaster in recruiting.

Weiss Jr, not so sure.

I think I prefer somebody with HC experience, first hire in the AAC has to be a sureshot.

What about Matt Entz? Klieman is working great at KSU and NDS is the defending national champ.

Back to the top
Control functions: