Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Way too early names to consider for potential coaching vacancy

Leavitt? what baggage? because hi slapped or strangled some kid like more than 10 years ago?
He was hired here as the DC and nobody said anything.
Same thing with Briles. His baggage was more fresh when he was hired here by Lane Kiffin. It's been 4 years since he left and he has been hired by pretty well known programs, so not sure why the baggage matters now. Briles is NOT coming here. He makes good money at Arkansas.
Back to the top

NITE-OWL said

Leavitt? what baggage? because hi slapped or strangled some kid like more than 10 years ago?
He was hired here as the DC and nobody said anything.
Same thing with Briles. His baggage was more fresh when he was hired here by Lane Kiffin. It's been 4 years since he left and he has been hired by pretty well known programs, so not sure why the baggage matters now. Briles is NOT coming here. He makes good money at Arkansas.
Posted On: Oct 11th 2022, 10:33 AM #409156

It doesn't matter to me. I think Leavitt is great coach and he would be an outstanding fit for FAU. However, there seems to still be a stigma with Leavitt and you can bet administrators will think long and hard about it. That is likely why he has not received another HC position after his fall from grace.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

ROwl2007 said

I wouldn't be against Frost, he's shown he can coach successfully in the American. I just think that if FAU is moves away from Taggart it has to be with ample time to make an impact/avoid a disaster in recruiting.

Weiss Jr, not so sure.

I think I prefer somebody with HC experience, first hire in the AAC has to be a sureshot.

What about Matt Entz? Klieman is working great at KSU and NDS is the defending national champ.

Posted On: Oct 11th 2022, 10:14 AM #409155

Entz is a solid coach. NDSU seems to churn them out. I wonder though how he would fit in South Florida. Could he recruit the state in a competitive manner? I think Klieman is having success due in part to familiarity with recruiting territory. Also, like it or not, program and regional culture matter. NDSU and FAU are very different. I expect Entz would be a better fit at a midwest program with more of a hometown atmosphere. Maybe Colorado looks his way, or perhaps Wisconsin.

GO OWLS!!!

Back to the top

owlfan1 said

ROwl2007 said

I wouldn't be against Frost, he's shown he can coach successfully in the American. I just think that if FAU is moves away from Taggart it has to be with ample time to make an impact/avoid a disaster in recruiting.

Weiss Jr, not so sure.

I think I prefer somebody with HC experience, first hire in the AAC has to be a sureshot.

What about Matt Entz? Klieman is working great at KSU and NDS is the defending national champ.

Entz is a solid coach. NDSU seems to churn them out. I wonder though how he would fit in South Florida. Could he recruit the state in a competitive manner? I think Klieman is having success due in part to familiarity with recruiting territory. Also, like it or not, program and regional culture matter. NDSU and FAU are very different. I expect Entz would be a better fit at a midwest program with more of a hometown atmosphere. Maybe Colorado looks his way, or perhaps Wisconsin.

GO OWLS!!!

Posted On: Oct 11th 2022, 11:44 AM #409158

If and when the time comes we need to concentrate on coaching ability versus recruiting ability. Having a HC that's a good recruiter hasn't worked for us.

Go Owls!  
Back to the top

I think somebody like him knows that getting coaching pool of assistants and coordinators that can recruit would be his most important task…

also the price. We can pay much better than NDS
Back to the top

I guess I am questioning his style when I reference recruiting. Will it translate to the South Florida market? Will players buy into who he is, and what he brings to the table? Also, he like a long line of NDSU coaches, can hang his hat on the historical success of the program when it comes to his ability to recruit and have success at NDSU. The mentality seems different as well. Lunch pail disciplined type of football for Entz and NDSU. I don't think we have seen that at FAU since Schnellenberger. And many thought he was out of touch with players for that exact reason. Does the culture of Entz translate to FAU? Can he instill his culture at FAU? Certainly a consideration for coaches at all programs.

GO OWLS!!!

Back to the top

cbboarder said

owlfan1 said

ROwl2007 said

Weiss Jr, not so sure.

GO OWLS!!!

If and when the time comes we need to concentrate on coaching ability versus recruiting ability. Having a HC that's a good recruiter hasn't worked for us.

Go Owls!  
Posted On: Oct 11th 2022, 11:57 AM #409159

It has though…you just don't always see until that coach is gone. Howards poor recruiting at the end hurt us then Pelini went heavy JUCO, and who knows what would have happen if he was here 3-4 years.

Charlie came in a recruited his ass off in the high school ranks and got about 10 players to the league, he ran out of time before a lot of those guys grew up. A lot Lane's success came from the work Charlie did and he said as much many times.

Lane had too many misses and it has taken this staff 3 years just to rebuild a position like WR.

G5 programs who are always in the 7-10 win range recruit well, so even if the guy does not work or leaves for bigger job there is not a rebuild. Look at ULL, Coastal, and App st, they are always in the top third in their league recruiting.

It is why it can be risky to hire fast raising coordinator who is trying to puddle jump some are not thinking what the roster might look like in 3-5 years.
Back to the top

Owls2013 said

cbboarder said

owlfan1 said

ROwl2007 said

Weiss Jr, not so sure.

GO OWLS!!!

Go Owls!  

It has though…you just don't always see until that coach is gone. Howards poor recruiting at the end hurt us then Pelini went heavy JUCO, and who knows what would have happen if he was here 3-4 years.

Charlie came in a recruited his ass off in the high school ranks and got about 10 players to the league, he ran out of time before a lot of those guys grew up. A lot Lane's success came from the work Charlie did and he said as much many times.

Lane had too many misses and it has taken this staff 3 years just to rebuild a position like WR.

G5 programs who are always in the 7-10 win range recruit well, so even if the guy does not work or leaves for bigger job there is not a rebuild. Look at ULL, Coastal, and App st, they are always in the top third in their league recruiting.

It is why it can be risky to hire fast raising coordinator who is trying to puddle jump some are not thinking what the roster might look like in 3-5 years.
Posted On: Oct 11th 2022, 1:44 PM #409163

If you're winning games the recruits will come. Both CP and WT are great recruiters but they suck at winning games. I'd rather have a coach that knows how to win…..

Go Owls!
Back to the top

Lesser talent can always play up with great coaching. And great talent can always struggle with poor coaching. It takes a solid mix of good recruiting and good coaching to be competitive year after year. We shouldn't dismiss the importance of recruiting ability. We also need to recognize that even the most talented roster can struggle if there isn't discipline and/or if the coaches struggle to get a system in place that the players can master.

GO OWLS!!!

Back to the top

cbboarder said

Owls2013 said

cbboarder said

owlfan1 said

ROwl2007 said

Weiss Jr, not so sure.

GO OWLS!!!

Go Owls!  

Posted On: Oct 11th 2022, 1:44 PM #409163

If you're winning games the recruits will come. Both CP and WT are great recruiters but they suck at winning games. I'd rather have a coach that knows how to win…..

Go Owls!

Posted On: Oct 11th 2022, 2:12 PM #409164

All I am saying is sacrificing recruiting for a coach just because he's a creative play caller is not great for the long term health of any program. You need both.
Back to the top
Control functions: