Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Willie Hot seat

No doubt in my mind Taggart will be here next year. How I’m feeling today, I wouldn’t mind being wrong 
Back to the top

FAU's contract reads, "the university will pay for up to 36 months or remainder of the term of the contract, whichever occurs first".

If Taggart is fired this season: (800k + 825k + 850k) for a total of 2.5M
If Taggart is fired next season: (825k+850k) for a total of of 1.7M

I'm not sure if this includes retention bonus as part of the calculation which I assume it does? If not its 2.3M vs 1.5M

I thought we'd save a lot by waiting another year but it seems like our contract is written where it doesn't matter as much. We'd only save 800k by waiting another year, and Im not sure the additional year and damage to our program is worth it considering our shift to AAC soon.
Back to the top

owlmart said

We got worse as the season went on. Defense did enough to where if the offense had a pulse, we'd be 7-5 at least. How many times an we score in the teens? Completely unacceptable. I was rooting for Willie, but now I'm so disappointed. He'll have another year to fix it, but at the rate things are going, I expect a 3-9 season next year.
Posted On: Nov 28th 2021, 8:22 AM #405549

7 of 12 games fail to score 20! Double digit loss all 4 games in THIS YEARS collapse!

How can you lose a HOME GAME with a bowl on the line losing 3-27 after a nice 14 point lead. Again AT HOME.

No Coaching, no execution, and out desired and out played by the mediocre opponents!!!!!!!!!

Back to the top

faufan2017 said

FAU's contract reads, "the university will pay for up to 36 months or remainder of the term of the contract, whichever occurs first".

If Taggart is fired this season: (800k + 825k + 850k) for a total of 2.5M
If Taggart is fired next season: (825k+850k) for a total of of 1.7M

I'm not sure if this includes retention bonus as part of the calculation which I assume it does? If not its 2.3M vs 1.5M

I thought we'd save a lot by waiting another year but it seems like our contract is written where it doesn't matter as much. We'd only save 800k by waiting another year, and Im not sure the additional year and damage to our program is worth it considering our shift to AAC soon.
Posted On: Nov 28th 2021, 11:34 AM #405565
FAU would only owe Taggart a buyout until he leaves the university. He would have to stay on at FAU in another position to continue getting paid. Also Taggart is owed $4.25 million per year by FSU until Jan 1st 2024 but his pay is getting offset by what FAU is paying him. If he is let go by FAU his buyout from FSU would just go back up to make up the difference until Jan 2024.

Taggart is too young and early in his career to afford sitting out for three years as that would hurt his career progression. He did not get any more money by taking the FAU job since what he is making from FAU offsets the FSU buyout.  I’d assume it would be worth more to him to take another job as soon as possible to keep trying to progress in his career and repair his resume than sit out especially since again it won’t affect his financial compensation. Partridge had similar terms in his contract with FAU without the benefit of a multimillion dollar buyout from another university to fall back on and he took an assistant job with Pitt right away rather than stay with FAU for a couple more seasons and take the remaining money owed.

That said, I still think it is too early to let Taggart go and I’d hope the university gives him a chance to work the transfer portal, rebuild the offensive line, find a QB and do what he did at USF. Letting a coach go after only two seasons is not a good look to other candidates and the grass isn’t always greener with another coach and FAU could end up with another Partridge or Pelini. 
Back to the top

I also can't imagine that they will let him go and start a new search with no money to search with, which is the main problem with the haves and have nots in college football.  Taggart just produced a barely middle of the road C-USA team after having basically the top or near the top recruiting class in that conference for three years straight.  I wouldn't expect anything different next year.  If they can find a way to raise the capital to offer a new coach, he may be gone after about 7 games next year.
Back to the top

Our four (4) game losing streak (COLLAPSE!) was to 4 CUSA teams NOT moving up into the AAC!

Two moving down  to the Belt and two remaining in CUSA after being heavily courted down into the MAC!

In ALL FOUR we scored under 20 points with a Power 5 transfer QB and an OL heavily from P5 transfers as well.

WE COULD NOT EVEN COMPETE IN CUSA AT THE END OF THIS YEAR (OR LAST), ARE WE DESTINED TO BE THE NEW USF, BOTTOM FEEDER OF THE AAC THE PAST 3 SEASONS??????

Think hard about THAT Dr. Kelly and Mr. White!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to the top

Haven't commented in a while - been swamped with all my kids and work, and haven't had as much time for sports lol.

One thing though that I think will make a difference. So many schools have fired their coaches this year, and only a handful of legitimately good candidates, that I think this could end up being an inflated coaches market, where even the G5 schools are having to pay up to get the best coach.

I think FAU's best-scenario here is to give WT a third year, and then make a change. I think if we have a bad start, and know we're not going to make a bowl game, fire him earlier than the end of the season and start recruiting a hot coaching commodity like KB to come in, with a compensation package that reflects the move to the AAC and the additional revenue we'll be getting.
Back to the top

Why has it been so quiet lately…I feel like since the season has ended there has been no communication about anything from the university. Why aren't our coaches talking about recruiting? Where is the statement from the admin about confidence in the coaching staff?
Back to the top

faufan2017 said

Why has it been so quiet lately…I feel like since the season has ended there has been no communication about anything from the university. Why aren't our coaches talking about recruiting? Where is the statement from the admin about confidence in the coaching staff?
Posted On: Nov 30th 2021, 5:08 PM #405610
I've been waiting for a statement from WT taking responsibility for a pisss poor season.
Back to the top

faufan2017 said

Posted On: Nov 30th 2021, 5:08 PM #405610

Nothing really positive to say.  The same reason our football program hasn't been highlighted in the "this week in FAU sports" emails I get.   

Taggart took a 11-3 conference USA title  team and torpedoed them to a 10-11 also ran program in his first two years.   The guy is a black plague on programs.  He has ruined all the momentum we built with kiffin and if the admins had balls , he'd be fired already
Back to the top
Control functions: